The Terror - Don't be put off

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
The Terror is a quasi-historical mini-series being produced by AMC about a two-ship British exploration expedition in the 1840's to discover the "northwest passage" through the Arctic to the Pacific Ocean.

It is based on a novel of the same name, and the actual scenario is historical, although (I believe) the ships were both lost without a trace, so all of the detail is fictitious.

Nevertheless there is a lot to commend it. It has some excellent actors, great insights into early steamship technology (the ships had both sails and a steam-powered prop), and the story itself is engaging, if predictable. There is an element of the supernatural, very slowly introduced, which I believe will be a main part of the story later on.

I have watched the first two episodes, and I see that the audience dropped by more than half from the first episode to the second, and I'm posting here to give it a boost.

Watching the first episode is VERY difficult. There are a number of "odd" English accents and unfamiliar expressions, and it's very difficult to follow the story as it moves along...slowly. Between having a hard time HEARING the spoken words, then trying to figure out what the fuck they were saying, I was tempted to just say to hell with it. They really should have included subtitles, if you ask me.

I say, give it a shot and stick with it. I think you will be glad you did. It airs (if that's still the correct expression) on Tuesday evenings, and is available after each episode "On Demand" if you have that capability.

The Terror is a quasi-historical mini-series being produced by AMC about a two-ship British exploration expedition in the 1840's to discover the "northwest passage" through the Arctic to the Pacific Ocean.

It is based on a novel of the same name, and the actual scenario is historical, although (I believe) the ships were both lost without a trace, so all of the detail is fictitious.

Nevertheless there is a lot to commend it. It has some excellent actors, great insights into early steamship technology (the ships had both sails and a steam-powered prop), and the story itself is engaging, if predictable. There is an element of the supernatural, very slowly introduced, which I believe will be a main part of the story later on.

I have watched the first two episodes, and I see that the audience dropped by more than half from the first episode to the second, and I'm posting here to give it a boost.

Watching the first episode is VERY difficult. There are a number of "odd" English accents and unfamiliar expressions, and it's very difficult to follow the story as it moves along...slowly. Between having a hard time HEARING the spoken words, then trying to figure out what the fuck they were saying, I was tempted to just say to hell with it. They really should have included subtitles, if you ask me.

I say, give it a shot and stick with it. I think you will be glad you did. It airs (if that's still the correct expression) on Tuesday evenings, and is available after each episode "On Demand" if you have that capability.

Thanks for the heads up. My father is recuperating from back surgery and will definitely get into this.

Sounds cool...I will have to check that out when I return to the real world.

New Topics

Forum List

Back