The Supreme court what are they thinking?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bigrebnc1775, Jun 28, 2012.

1. bigrebnc1775

bigrebnc1775 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,830
    First obamacare now they ruled it's OK to lie about war medals.

The Stolen Valor Act, a federal law used to prosecute war medal forgery, was ruled unconstitutional this morning by The U.S. Supreme Court.The court ruled on a Pomona Water Board member who was ousted after touting a false war record and commendations. In a 6-3 ruling, the court ruled that the law violated the First Amendment and freedom of speech.

STOLEN VALOR ACT: War medal forgery law ruled unconstitutional : Crime Blotter

I am starting to lose faith in this government

2. ShootSpeeders

ShootSpeeders Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,125
    This was an easy one for me. People have a right to tell lies about themselves. Only exception i can see would be in a courtroom while testifying under oath.

3. Ariux

Ariux BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Remember, four of the Supreme Court are America-hating and Constitution-hating Jews. That's a guaranteed four liberal votes on every issue, Constitution be damned. That leaves just five to debate the constitutional merits of anything before the court. All it takes is for one of those five to side the the God Damned Jews. (There are no Protestants on the Supreme Court)

4. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,194
    Then you two are protected by federal law and SCOTUS.

An Ariux adds Jews to his hate list, along with liberals, African Americans, and, by inference, Roman Catholics.

Well, better them plus the good Protestants than the lack of quality Americans like you.

5. Mustang

Mustang Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
    Ratings:
    +1,792
    Have you ever considered the possibility that a ruling the other way might just set a precedent that could end up pushing talk radio hosts who lie about the issues off the air?

6. bigrebnc1775

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,830
    How would lying about military service set a precedent for anything but what it is? Stertch the truth much?>

7. Mustang

Mustang Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
    Ratings:
    +1,792
    If lying can by outlawed when a person is doing little more than telling tall tales to individual people, imagine the impact on people who tell falsehoods on the public airwaves! Much of what I hear on talk radio I know to either be false or from a highly questionable source. So far, nobody gets in any legal trouble for it unless they slander a private citizen (as opposed to a public figure). Now, the people (and I won't name any names) who say these questionable things should be held to a higher standard than a citizen on a street corner, right? But they get away saying just about anything, regardless of whether it's true or not.

Now, personally, I think most of these radio hosts KNOW that they're saying (broadcasting, actually) factually inaccurate (otherwise known as false) information. And if they don't know, they should know. But they're essentially protected by the 1st Amendment, and they KNOW it.

If a law is passed which makes it a crime to lie about a war record and even being in the military at all, it could set a precedent to stop people from making false statements on the radio and require them to verify any statements they make before stating them as fact.

8. bigrebnc1775

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,830
    WOW that stretch must have really hurt.

9. Zxereus

Zxereus BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +152
    One things for sure, because of his vote on Monday and now with todays vote, Roberts certainly isn't the man we assumed he was.

10. TheGreatGatsby

TheGreatGatsby Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,540
    This is the biggest load of shit. And it was Roberts that fucked us. He's a Bush guy. Figures he'd be a plant.