The suffering of Sderot

Jos

Rookie
Feb 6, 2010
The suffering of Sderot: how its true inhabitants were wiped from Israel's maps and memories

I think I found the village of Huj this weekend – but the road sign said “Sederot”. The world knows it as Sderot, the Israeli city where the Hamas rockets fall. Even Barack Obama has been there. But Huj has a lot to do with this little story.

By my map calculations, it lies, long destroyed, across the fields from a scruffy recreation centre near the entrance to Sderot, a series of shabby villas on a little ring road where Israeli children were playing on the Shabat afternoon.

The inhabitants of Huj were all Palestinian Arab Muslims and, irony of ironies, they got on well with the Jews of Palestine. We have to thank the Israeli historian Benny Morris for uncovering their story, which is as grim as it is filled with sorrow.

Huj’s day of destiny came on 31 May 1948, when the Israeli Negev Brigade’s 7th Battalion, facing an advancing Egyptian army, arrived in the village. In Morris’s words, “the brigade expelled the villagers of Huj … to the Gaza Strip”.
Some thanks

Morris elaborates: “Huj had traditionally been friendly; in 1946, its inhabitants had hidden Haganah men from a British dragnet
The suffering of Sderot: how its true inhabitants were wiped from Israel's maps and memories - Comment - Voices - The Independent

The suffering of Sderot: how its true inhabitants were wiped from Israel's maps and memories

I think I found the village of Huj this weekend – but the road sign said “Sederot”. The world knows it as Sderot, the Israeli city where the Hamas rockets fall. Even Barack Obama has been there. But Huj has a lot to do with this little story.

By my map calculations, it lies, long destroyed, across the fields from a scruffy recreation centre near the entrance to Sderot, a series of shabby villas on a little ring road where Israeli children were playing on the Shabat afternoon.

The inhabitants of Huj were all Palestinian Arab Muslims and, irony of ironies, they got on well with the Jews of Palestine. We have to thank the Israeli historian Benny Morris for uncovering their story, which is as grim as it is filled with sorrow.

Huj’s day of destiny came on 31 May 1948, when the Israeli Negev Brigade’s 7th Battalion, facing an advancing Egyptian army, arrived in the village. In Morris’s words, “the brigade expelled the villagers of Huj … to the Gaza Strip”.
Some thanks

Morris elaborates: “Huj had traditionally been friendly; in 1946, its inhabitants had hidden Haganah men from a British dragnet
The suffering of Sderot: how its true inhabitants were wiped from Israel's maps and memories - Comment - Voices - The Independent

That is why they cannot “finish it all forever”. Because the thousands of rockets that have fallen around them over the past 12 years come from the very place where now live the families that lived on this land. Thus does Sderot have an intimate connection with a date that President Obama may have forgotten about when he came visiting: 1948, the year that will never go away.

Indeed.

In the era in which Israel gained independence and jordan was invented and pakistan was invented and many other countries were invented TENS OF MILLIONS of people were dispossessed of their ---little villages-----hundreds of jewish villages DISAPPEARED in arab muslim lands My husband has no chance of finding the burial places, or synagogues or yeshivas of his community which resided in a land for more than 2500 years----and was ultimately invaded by the dogs of arabia In fact he did mention that he would like to know where his grandfather---the one who died saving him from shariah shit----ended up----but it will not happen. Hubby was born in a country OF THE UK--- technically he is entitled
to British citizenship-----his birth was registered with the local "authority"-----but somehow
that country decided to deny he ever existed

Tinnie----what is your point? you support the return of YATHRIB to THE JEWS? how about ALEXANDRIA AND BAGHDAD? Come to think of it-----the village in which my grandfather was born is gone too----but that was a long time ago----if he has stayed there, he would have ended up like the rest who lived in that place --in auschwitz Until I read stuff One of my professors in school---was a kind locally famous gastro-enterologist He bore an interesting surname "HAKODSI" "Ha" the 'Kodsi" person from the holy place.
His family resided in Jerusalem ----that is east jerusalem---since before the roman sack of the city----ie for more than 2000 years -----thus the surname The residence of that communiy was ended by a starvation siege of East Jerusalem which started in 1947---the few survivors were rescued in 1948 Is that not interesting? that is how jordan STOLE EAST JERUSALEM

Forum List

Back