The splendour under the Ayatollah's chador

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Iran is not just another country for India. Since the days of King Darius to the Mughals, and from the families of Jamshetji Tata and Godrej to Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw and Ghorban Mohammadpour, we have so much of Persia amidst us. So much that it has silently merged into our being, giving a distinct flavour to our languages, culture, strengths, mores and habits.

Hence, an Iran sojourn had to be a special for me - a distinct experience - and it certainly proved to be that and much more. My first interaction in Tehran was a pleasant surprise and had all the elements of the poetic serenity of Hafez Shirazi.

"You know what the meaning of Hindostan is," he asked me with a twinkle in his ageing eyes and a face that radiated the warmth of an old friend. And without waiting for me to answer, he continued: "Hindostan means Dostanto, the world, a great land that is friend to the entire duniya." Then, with a big smile, he added: "It's a wonderful country, so many languages, religions, different people in a vast area, yet you are keeping them all together. You have so much to give to the world, I wish you make the entire world a Hindostan! Then there will be no problem. You can teach all how to live together."

I was making a courtesy call on a renowned and highly acclaimed literary figure of Iran, Mohammad-Ali Mo'allem Damghani, president of The Iranian Academy of Arts, and a personage considered to be a close aide to the supreme Iranian leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. We discussed literature and the ancient threads that bind us together for more than an hour. He presented me a fabulously-produced limited edition of Ferdowsi's Shahnameh. And yes, another very special book, a Persion version of Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay's Devdas, translated into that language by Fatemeh Hashemnejad.

Iran continued to remind me of old Persia and all its richness - the fragrance of each gulaab (rose), the redolent recitations of the works of Ferdowsi and Hafez Shirazi and, no less, the epic Iranian mural that looks down from the ceiling of Rashtrapati Bhavan's grand Ashok Hall. Each time I attend a swearing-in ceremony there, I gape at the sheer beauty of that work. And some other paintings of Iranian origin that adorn the walls of the hallowed hall.

The three days I spent in Iran just a few weeks ago changed a lot of my perceptions about that country, its people and culture. Iran, as routinely reported to us by Western government and media agencies, is everything that stands against human values and democratic practices. Is that stereotype true? Should I not say something about what I saw and experienced for myself?

Iran must be seen and understood by Indians through Indian eyes. Iran is a people, a tehzeeb that defines itself in unmatched subtlety and finesse; it's a poet's dream, it's dance, it's drama, it's fun. It is a land of unparalleled brilliance and beauty. We in India might still be debating about our Aryan roots, but Iran is sure and proud to be an Aryan land. That name itself - Iran - is directly derived from the word Aryan.

They are different from every other Muslim land - so distinctly refreshing and civilised that it cannot but strike a visitor. It reminds you that whatever form of extremism tries to envelop a society, the soul of a people finds its expression in a thousand beautiful ways.

This is the second time in a week that I have come across an anecdotal as evidence article the beauty of Iran---which is not the way presented by the Western World.

I find this to be humorous. Because nobody knows about Iran? It's 2018.

Iran is not just another country for India. Since the days of King Darius to the Mughals, and from the families of Jamshetji Tata and Godrej to Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw and Ghorban Mohammadpour, we have so much of Persia amidst us. So much that it has silently merged into our being, giving a distinct flavour to our languages, culture, strengths, mores and habits.

Hence, an Iran sojourn had to be a special for me - a distinct experience - and it certainly proved to be that and much more. My first interaction in Tehran was a pleasant surprise and had all the elements of the poetic serenity of Hafez Shirazi.

"You know what the meaning of Hindostan is," he asked me with a twinkle in his ageing eyes and a face that radiated the warmth of an old friend. And without waiting for me to answer, he continued: "Hindostan means Dostanto, the world, a great land that is friend to the entire duniya." Then, with a big smile, he added: "It's a wonderful country, so many languages, religions, different people in a vast area, yet you are keeping them all together. You have so much to give to the world, I wish you make the entire world a Hindostan! Then there will be no problem. You can teach all how to live together."

I was making a courtesy call on a renowned and highly acclaimed literary figure of Iran, Mohammad-Ali Mo'allem Damghani, president of The Iranian Academy of Arts, and a personage considered to be a close aide to the supreme Iranian leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. We discussed literature and the ancient threads that bind us together for more than an hour. He presented me a fabulously-produced limited edition of Ferdowsi's Shahnameh. And yes, another very special book, a Persion version of Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay's Devdas, translated into that language by Fatemeh Hashemnejad.

Iran continued to remind me of old Persia and all its richness - the fragrance of each gulaab (rose), the redolent recitations of the works of Ferdowsi and Hafez Shirazi and, no less, the epic Iranian mural that looks down from the ceiling of Rashtrapati Bhavan's grand Ashok Hall. Each time I attend a swearing-in ceremony there, I gape at the sheer beauty of that work. And some other paintings of Iranian origin that adorn the walls of the hallowed hall.

The three days I spent in Iran just a few weeks ago changed a lot of my perceptions about that country, its people and culture. Iran, as routinely reported to us by Western government and media agencies, is everything that stands against human values and democratic practices. Is that stereotype true? Should I not say something about what I saw and experienced for myself?

Iran must be seen and understood by Indians through Indian eyes. Iran is a people, a tehzeeb that defines itself in unmatched subtlety and finesse; it's a poet's dream, it's dance, it's drama, it's fun. It is a land of unparalleled brilliance and beauty. We in India might still be debating about our Aryan roots, but Iran is sure and proud to be an Aryan land. That name itself - Iran - is directly derived from the word Aryan.

They are different from every other Muslim land - so distinctly refreshing and civilised that it cannot but strike a visitor. It reminds you that whatever form of extremism tries to envelop a society, the soul of a people finds its expression in a thousand beautiful ways.

This is the second time in a week that I have come across an anecdotal as evidence article the beauty of Iran---which is not the way presented by the Western World.

wrong ----even I know that Iran was -----at one time ----PERSIA----a land
of beauty and art and intellect. That was then--------then ISLAM
happened. There are vestiges that have yet to be DESTROYED------
by islam. Even I know that the language and culture and art and cuisine
of India is strongly influenced by ancient Persia. Yes----it's 2018
and the tragedy of the loss of the Zoroastrian culture marks Iran ----
but that culture does continue to grace Mumbai-----and in fragments---
lots of India and even Pakistan

wrong ----even I know that Iran was -----at one time ----PERSIA----a land
of beauty and art and intellect. That was then--------then ISLAM
happened. There are vestiges that have yet to be DESTROYED------
by islam. Even I know that the language and culture and art and cuisine
of India is strongly influenced by ancient Persia. Yes----it's 2018
and the tragedy of the loss of the Zoroastrian culture marks Iran ----
but that culture does continue to grace Mumbai-----and in fragments---
lots of India and even Pakistan
It is not only about Zoroastrian culture I think. Waves of Arabs and Turks had their impacts on Persians worsening their genetic.

Iranian people are very sophisticated with a unique culture and sublime cuisine. .... :cool:

Do you remember (under Bush 1) when reporters would go out to the boondocks in name your country in the ME? It was propaganda to paint this picture of nothing but desert and camels. I think some are still trying to correct that perception; however, it has come and gone. You would have to never picked up a history book, never had access to the internet, never met anyone from Iran, never read a newspaper to have that perception. So, when I find articles like this I wonder who the hell are they talking to.

Iranian people are very sophisticated with a unique culture and sublime cuisine. .... :cool:

Do you remember (under Bush 1) when reporters would go out to the boondocks in name your country in the ME? It was propaganda to paint this picture of nothing but desert and camels. I think some are still trying to correct that perception; however, it has come and gone. You would have to never picked up a history book, never had access to the internet, never met anyone from Iran, never read a newspaper to have that perception. So, when I find articles like this I wonder who the hell are they talking to.
Iran sure had a great history in the past and was one of the main points of the ancient culture. But what it has become now? Considering statements of Iranian officials (most recent about clouds) that makes me sad about their current level.

One of the most interesting episodes of the late Anthony Bourdain's series "Parts Unknown" was when he traveled to Iran. He filmed and interviewed average Iranian people during their daily routine and living normal lives. Bourdain also has a home cooked dinner with an Iranian family that proves to be quite eye opening.

All on all, it's a rare look at the people of Iran just enjoying life. Something you never see on the hate Iran hysteria of the western mainstream media. ... :cool:

Iran sure had a great history in the past and was one of the main points of the ancient culture. But what it has become now? Considering statements of Iranian officials (most recent about clouds) that makes me sad about their current level.
I suggest that you google HAARP and other related links, and read about the U.S. military's secret program of weather modification so that it can be used as a weapon. ... :cool:

Last edited:

I saw a lot of pictures of their Christmas trees and people last Christmas for some reason. All I know is that they are not what the AP makes them out to be.

The women don't have to wear hijabs n stuff. A month or two later, they suffered a bad terrorist carbomb attack for helping Syria kill ISIS.

I suggest that you google HAARP and read about the U.S. military secret program of weather modification so that it can be used as a weapon. ... :cool:

Oh nos! Not the HAARP! Dale Smith, is that you?

Politics aside because that is the primary issue when we discuss Iran: most people live in apartments or houses, have paved roads, there is a car industry, a fashion industry, places to work out, a film industry, literature, art, architecture, restaurants, coffee shops, museums, universities, etc.

The people are different from the government. That is important to remember. They don't have any control over Ali Khamenei. They don't have control over the foreign policy. They don't have the "freedom" that the US citizens have to criticize the government.

This barely received any media coverage in the U.S and other western media outlets. I personally believe this unprecedented localized event directed at Tehran was a message to the Iranian leadership as to the capabilities of the U.S. military. ... :cool:

2014 Tehran dust storm

"A massive dust storm took place in Tehran on June 2, 2014 at 4:50pm (local time). 5 men were killed, more than 30 people were injured, and a few cars were destroyed. Falling trees and objects in balconies disconnected 65 of 1200 electric 20 KW lines.

During the spring of 2014, heavy rain and hailstorms struck the Iranian capital of Tehran, surprising residents and causing traffic jams across the city. The fierce June 2 hurricane, packed with thunder and lightning, battered the northern parts of Tehran and lasted for more than an hour. According to Institute of Geophysics, wind speed was 80 km/h the Meteorological Organization of Iran reported 120 km/h. Air pressure was 4 mbar.

2014 Tehran dust storm - Wikipedia

I suggest that you google HAARP and other related links, and read about the U.S. military's secret program of weather modification so that it can be used as a weapon. ... :cool:
I doubt that you can change the weather in one exact country not affecting the whole region. It is not only about the clouds anyway. A couple of years ago one of their officials accused Siemens of inserting microbombs in their equipment. The story about their new generation fighter jet. All these stories cause only damage to the image of Iran.

They regularly have dust storms in Iran....

The people are different from the government. That is important to remember. They don't have any control over Ali Khamenei. They don't have control over the foreign policy. They don't have the "freedom" that the US citizens have to criticize the government.
Although we American citizens do have the freedom to criticize our government. But we, like the Iranian's in their country, have basically no say over the foreign policies of the U.S. government. ... :cool:

Politics aside because that is the primary issue when we discuss Iran: most people live in apartments or houses, have paved roads, there is a car industry, a fashion industry, places to work out, a film industry, literature, art, architecture, restaurants, coffee shops, museums, universities, etc.

Can you name a renowned architecture or musician or scientist from Iran who is known all over the world for their achievments?
I think quite opposite. The government is somewhat the mirror of the society.

They regularly have dust storms in Iran....
The difference was this storm happened on a clear blue sky day and came out of nowhere. Plus, the violent storm was localized directly on the Iranian capital. And strangely, it only lasted about an hour. No one living in Iran had ever seen anything like this before, even the western journalists stationed in Iran reported the event because it was soo unusual.

Anyone who thinks the U.S. military isn't working on weaponizing the weather as a strategy of war is being naive. ... :cool:

Last edited:
Can you name a renowned architecture or musician or scientist from Iran who is known all over the world for their achievments?
The Iranian muslim poet Rumi has for decades been the best selling work of poetry in the U.S. and most western countries. His books can be found at all major book retailers.

Iran is renowned world wide for producing great works of poetry and great literature. ... :cool:

Last edited:

I think quite opposite. The government is somewhat the mirror of the society.

I have not interacted enough with you to develop rapport to even guess whom you have heard of.

I vehemently disagree with the government being a mirror of society. That viewpoint creates a justification for the murder of civilians.

Forum List

Back