The Significance of Koliva in the Greek Orthodox Church

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
images

Koliva is boiled wheat with (depending on the recipe) a combination of some or all of the following ingredients: powdered sugar, almonds, ground walnuts, sesame seeds, cinnamon, pomegranate seeds, raisins, anise, parsley and more. Koliva is made for memorials, typically on Saturdays of the Souls, and according to different traditions, the day of a Funeral, the 40th day after death, 3rd month, 6th month, 9th month, annually, and even sometimes just on “big” anniversaries only, such as 5 years, 10 years, etc. Though I have never seen the funeral day Koliva, I have heard that it has no sweetness added, so it is very bitter, somewhat fitting for the funeral, and then sweetness is added beginning with the 40th day.
The Significance of Koliva in the Greek Orthodox Church

http://www.greekorthodox.org.au/?page_id=3319

OK. So, years ago I read several books on Kadish. A few of those books were written by people who were on a journey through their own grieving process and it was easier to see the purpose in "rituals". And, here by running an online search I wound up with multiple hits for developing my own funeral.

I guess my question is, how do these days in Greek Orthodox tradition help someone process their grief? Do they represent different stages beyond what they stand for (third link)?

Forum List

Back