The senate is the reason Washington is Broken and what to do

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
Not the current or past make up the the senate, but the senate itself. The House regularly votes on regulations and believe it or not things move much quicker in the house. But the senate is so dysfunctional because it’s flawed design.

Each state gets 2 partisan hacks, regardless of the state’s size. The reason therefore is to protect smaller states from bigger ones. But in the end you create a system where power is concentrated in the few and nothing truly important can get done. It is a big fucking mess.

I say change the system and amend the constitution. Have only one legislative chamber. Get rid of gerrymandering and have the house get voted on depending on population like it is now, but without the gerrymandering.

Here is what I would do:
(1) Only one chamber in the Legislative Branch
(2) End gerrymandering
(3) House reps Serve 5 yrs with a 2 term limit
(4) All reps are voted at the top of the decade and middle of the decade
(5) Once the vote clears, the state legislative votes to have one State Rep be the super-delegate (senator if you must) and his vote is worth 10 votes. This way you have one house rep, but the rep that votes closest to the state’s interest get 10 votes.

The senate is our biggest challenge

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Not the current or past make up the the senate, but the senate itself. The House regularly votes on regulations and believe it or not things move much quicker in the house. But the senate is so dysfunctional because it’s flawed design.

Do you understand the nature of the Senate's purpose? It was designed to be the deliberative chamber of Congress. As such, its member have longer terms of office, thus insulating them, more so than are House members, from the vicissitudes of popular opinion. Indeed, if there's a flaw in the design of the Senate, IMO, it's the "rolling election" aspect of it.

Each state gets 2 partisan hacks, regardless of the state’s size. The reason therefore is to protect smaller states from bigger ones. But in the end you create a system where power is concentrated in the few and nothing truly important can get done. It is a big fucking mess.

I say change the system and amend the constitution. Have only one legislative chamber. Get rid of gerrymandering and have the house get voted on depending on population like it is now, but without the gerrymandering.

Here is what I would do:
(2) End gerrymandering
(5) Once the vote clears, the state legislative votes to have one State Rep be the super-delegate (senator if you must) and his vote is worth 10 votes. This way you have one house rep, but the rep that votes closest to the state’s interest get 10 votes.

Go back to the state's electing their Senate members not the people.

Do you understand the nature of the Senate's purpose? It was designed to be the deliberative chamber of Congress. As such, its member have longer terms of office, thus insulating them, more so than are House members, from the vicissitudes of popular opinion. Indeed, if there's a flaw in the design of the Senate, IMO, it's the "rolling election" aspect of it.

Bullshit the Senate was for state's rights , the house was for citizens rights...

Here is what I would do:
(2) End gerrymandering

Go back to the state's electing their Senate members not the people.

Agreed.

Forum List

Back