The Saint radio program for the mid 40s

Auld Phart

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2013
(been listening to it on Amazon Echo)

Starred Vincent Price as The Saint.

and at the end of every program I've heard, he gives a short speech on discrimination.

70 years, and we're still having problems with it.

Thoughts?

and at the end of every program I've heard, he gives a short speech on discrimination.

Thoughts?

A friend of mine they emailed me links on YouTube to some old radio detective things.

The Shadow with Orson Welles is one, here is an episode, the duration is twenty five minutes.

Thoughts?

A friend of mine they emailed me links on YouTube to some old radio detective things.

The Shadow with Orson Welles is one, here is an episode, the duration is twenty five minutes.

My mom told me when they were in high school, they'd all congregate in the kitchen after supper and turn out the lights and listen to those scary radio shows.

Thoughts?

My mom told me when they were in high school, they'd all congregate in the kitchen after supper and turn out the lights and listen to those scary radio shows.

They are very atmospheric and at that time they must have been more frightening than we think they are today.

Here are two more from The Shadow with Orson Welles, both are very creepy.

"He Died At Twelve" from 1938.

"Halloween" from 1937.

Thoughts?

Will this thread could become like a Film Thread for old Radio programmes.

I forgot, I'll listen to some of "The Saint" with Vincent Price, I didn't know he had been Simon Templar, the films from the 1930s and early 1940s with George Sanders I like a lot.

Last edited:

Thoughts?

They are very atmospheric and at that time they must have been more frightening than we think they are today.

Here are two more from The Shadow with Orson Welles, both are very creepy.

"He Died At Twelve" from 1938.

"Halloween" from 1937.

Especially when the boys would sneak behind the girls and tap them on the shoulder or speak in a gravelly low voice in their ear at the exact proper moment of complete suspense, causing them to jump two feet in the air and scream. They had fun.

Having grown up with television, listening to radio programs takes a little getting used to, but I actually enjoy it. Like reading a novel, your imagination can fill in much more than when you see a show or movie. It can be totally engrossing.

Thoughts?

Leslie Charteris would have encountered or observed lots of discrimination. His father was Chinese and his mother was English. He ran into problems with the Chinese Exclusion Act in the US and encountered the big bad Yellow Peril. He saw first hand what barriers existed.

That said, I have never listened to the radio programs. I am on the road a lot. There are times when I have to use a car rental and recently came across the Radio Classics station on SiriusXM and you get what you get on it. If they run umpteen episodes of the Green Hornet, that is it.

If I get home at a decent hour then maybe I can hunt something down on the interwebz to listen to one or two.

Thoughts?

Leslie Charteris would have encountered or observed lots of discrimination. His father was Chinese and his mother was English. He ran into problems with the Chinese Exclusion Act in the US and encountered the big bad Yellow Peril. He saw first hand what barriers existed.

That said, I have never listened to the radio programs. I am on the road a lot. There are times when I have to use a car rental and recently came across the Radio Classics station on SiriusXM and you get what you get on it. If they run umpteen episodes of the Green Hornet, that is it.

If I get home at a decent hour then maybe I can hunt something down on the interwebz to listen to one or two.

I found it, and about 25 other, old time radio shows on Amazons Alexa App.

I get a flash briefing from 6-7 news agencies every morning, and updates a couple of times a day.

and, a fair amount of games.

Best $50 I've ever spent

Forum List

Back