The Rise of the New Right - Terrifying? Or Terrific?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Foxfyre, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,348
    Lori Ziganto is a blogger writing on the American scene who is acquiring a large following. Her biting essay on Chris Matthews (cough) documentary this week impressed Eric Erickson on Redstate enough to feature it this week.

After watching the documentary, despite the sarcastic tone, My initial impression was that Lori pretty well nailed it.

So what do ya’ll think?

Excerpt of her essay:
    So what has Erickson so riled up?
    Watch Matthews' 'documentary' here:

Rise of the New Right – Part 1
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W4VFuAT9y0]YouTube - RISE OF THE NEW RIGHT - Chris Matthews - Part 1[/ame]

Rise of the New Right – Part 2
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6PvP7QMOfA]YouTube - RISE OF THE NEW RIGHT - Chris Matthews - Part 2[/ame]

Rise of the New Right – Part 3
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1SQAn6Eywk]YouTube - RISE OF THE NEW RIGHT - Chris Matthews - Part 3[/ame]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Harry Dresden

Harry Dresden Latinum, Plantinum,Silver,Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,624
    a NEW Right?.....has anyone told Dean?.....he is gonna shit....

3. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,348
    Dunno.

Since Matthews had to go all the way back to the Clinton Administration to find stuff exotic enought to make his point, how new can this 'new right' be?

4. 2Parties

2Parties Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I watched it. It's the longest I've watched cable news in about 3 years.

I thought it was lame. Typical GE/MSNBC crap.

I find it kind of "funny" that they get all upset that a few bricks were thrown through through some politicians office windows while the war they are profiting off of is dismembering little kids.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  5. Harry Dresden

Harry Dresden Latinum, Plantinum,Silver,Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,624
    so the "new" right is nothing but the "old" right.....

6. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,348
    The thing that irritates, sometimes infuriates, me about Chris Matthews and his ilk is they scour the newscasts among hundreds of scenes and clips they could use to find the one that they then use to illustrate the whole. It's not that much difference from message board posters choosing one offensive or stupid sign out of the thousands carried by Tea Partiers and using that as if that is what it was all about. But that is simply not the way it is.

To present the 'militia' types as typical is absurd. The militia has always been around and it is mostly guys who just like to go out and play army for a weekend. You can count on one hand incidents involving militia types, and those are generally really mild, but Matthews would have you think that all the 'new right' are rabid gun toting wild eyed nuts ready to do mayhem. That simply is not the way it is.

Matthews would scream to high heaven if somebody like him portrayed Code Pink or some angry war protest mob as typical of all the left.

But he does it, grossly misrepresents it as the 'new right', and pretends it is some kind of investigative report? He makes me sick.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  7. mobrown

mobrown Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    terrifying, they will probably take over leadership and in an attempt to roll back everything Obama and the democrats have passed. We will sink further into despair. I don't think any of these political groups care about the country as a whole just themselves or their group.
    The downfall of America.

8. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    I thought it was pretty boring, frankly. Nothing I hadn't already seen before. I do like the term "new right," though, because I have been at a loss what to call tea partier types. They aren't "neocons," they [say] they're not Republicans, and anyone can be "conservative."

To me, the "New Right" are people whose ideologies are terrific, if we're all on the same track in a perfect world. My objection to most of it is that once you take the leap from ideology to the real world, it's not so easy.

9. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    To hear the other "side," we simply turn to Fox. It wasn't dubbed as a documentary on the Tea Party. The program was about the "new" right, and specifically what events evolved in its parting from the "normal" right and their anger. While you and some of your personal contacts may take a softer approach, you certainly can't deny that there is a lot of ugly talk and threats by the "new right." All you have to do is read the posts on this board, which I would say run 99% anger against anything this administration attempts, and 1% rational debate.

10. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    It was okay, I think the Rise of the New Reich might be a bit more spot on, and more examples of how related this movement is to the Red Baiting of McCarthy and the scapegoating of Jews, gays and gypsies by Hitler would give perspective.