The repeal bill

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Greenbeard, Jan 4, 2011.

?

The health care repeal bill should...

1. be the subject of at least one public hearing

50.0%
  2. be marked up in the relevant House committees

50.0%
  3. receive a CBO score

50.0%
  4. contain cost offsets to ensure deficit neutrality

25.0%
  5. be brought to the floor under an open amendment process

75.0%
  6. be written live on C-Span

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    Looks like the repeal-and-replace health care bill has been reduced to a simple (though, curiously, not complete) repeal, which will be voted on next week. I'm curious as to folks' general thoughts on the appropriate Congressional procedure surrounding it, as it seems that's taken very seriously by many people. So how should this be done?

2. Revere

Revere BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +415
    The faster Obamacare dies, the sooner the country recovers.

If the bill doesn't pass or is killed in the Senate or vetoed, strangle Obamacare in appropriations committees.

People like Greenbeard who care nothing about health care, just metrics, should be making health care decisions for Americans.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    the way the abortion was passed in the first place was one of the reasons folks were so mad about it.

We were promised openness and transparency. Lets see it happen.

4. william the wie

william the wie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    The whole process should be open.

5. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    What difference does it make, it will never become a law because it will never pass the Senate. I don't recall you being worried about the process when Obamacare was going through, so your concern now is obviously nothing more than posturing. Are there cameras around there somewhere?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    It takes a true political obsession to comment coherently on the procedural issues facing this new Congress.

I'm just not qualified to comment on those procedural machinations.

7. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    Huh? See my join date? June 2010. I wasn't even on this board while the ACA was going through the legislative process so what is there for you to recall?

Anyway, I'm curious what others think, which is why there's a poll. It'll be interesting to see whether this important vote is criticized as being "rushed" or "rammed through" the House if it doesn't get the full public treatment. And the indications thus far are that it will not.

8. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Its a waste of time. They should be spending this time to deal with issues they can make a difference on. That is what is wrong in Congress, all the grandstanding and not doing any real work. It's a forgeone conclusion that this has no chance of passing so why go through the time, effort and costs to do it. The house has the power of appropriations so use it. And then in 2 years if the American people decide they did something wrong, kick them out and the new Congress can appropriate the money.

But do something constructive for the country. All this bitter fighting is destroying us.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  9. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,310
    I thought the republicans were interested in reducing the deficit and job creation? The healthcare bill does both as it reduces expenditures and helps small business hire. So why would they want to repeal a solution to the primary problems? Oh jeez, I forgot, they really aren't interested in America and its people, they are only interested in ideological purity which has nothing to do with reality. My bad.

Healthcare for all people - what a wonderful, humanistic, Christian, religious, hopeful thing to do, like social security, just plain marvelous. Oh and I know the republican ideologues are still fighting FDR great work, weird how they do nothing good for all America.

"Liberals got women the right to vote. Liberals got African-Americans the right to vote. Liberals created Social Security and lifted millions of elderly people out of poverty. Liberals ended segregation. Liberals passed the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act. Liberals created Medicare. Liberals passed the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act. What did Conservatives do? They opposed them on every one of those things...every one! So when you try to hurl that label at my feet, 'Liberal,' as if it were something to be ashamed of, something dirty, something to run away from, it won't work, Senator, because I will pick up that label and I will wear it as a badge of honor." Matt Santos

10. Cuyo

Cuyo Training a Guineapig army

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +942
    If they think they have a better plan, it should be presented in the same bill that repeals current HCR.

"Just repeal it completely, THEN start over. We'll get something good through. Trust us..."

Sorry, I don't.