The question that flummoxed the Great Orator

krotchdog

Rookie
Apr 7, 2009
Signs of the Times News for Sun, 12 Apr 2009

Barack Obama, the World's Greatest Orator (™all news organisations), didn't exactly cover himself in glory when the BBC's political editor Nick Robinson asked him a question about who was to blame for the financial crisis. Normally word perfect, Obama ummed, ahed and waffled for the best part of two and a half minutes. Here, John Crace decodes what he was really thinking ...
Nick Robinson: "A question for you both, if I may. The prime minister has repeatedly blamed the United States of America for causing this crisis. France and Germany both blame Britain and America for causing this crisis. Who is right? And isn't the debate about that at the heart of the debate about what to do now?"
Brown immediately swivels to leave Obama in pole position. There is a four-second delay before Obama starts speaking [THANKS FOR NOTHING, GORDY BABY. REMIND ME TO HANG YOU OUT TO DRY ONE DAY.]

Barack Obama: "I, I, would say that, er ... pause [I HAVEN'T A CLUE] ... if you look at ... pause [WHO IS THIS NICK ROBINSON JERK?] ... the, the sources of this crisis ... pause [JUST KEEP GOING, BUDDY] ... the United States certainly has some accounting to do with respect to . . . pause [I'M IN WAY TOO DEEP HERE] ... a regulatory system that was inadequate to the massive changes that have taken place in the global financial system ... pause, close eyes [THIS IS GOING TO GO DOWN LIKE A CROCK OF SHIT BACK HOME. HELP]. I think what is also true is that ... pause [I WANT NICK ROBINSON TO DISAPPEAR] ... here in Great Britain ... pause [SHIT, GORDY'S THE HOST, DON'T LAND HIM IN IT] ... here in continental Europe ... pause [DAMN IT, BLAME EVERYONE.] ... around the world. We were seeing the same mismatch between the regulatory regimes that were in place and er ... pause [I'VE LOST MY TRAIN OF THOUGHT AGAIN] ... the highly integrated, er, global capital markets that have emerged ... pause [I'M REALLY WINGING IT NOW]. So at this point, I'm less interested in ... pause [YOU] ... identifying blame than fixing the problem. I think we've taken some very aggressive steps in the United States to do so, not just responding to the immediate crisis, ensuring banks are adequately capitalised, er, dealing with the enormous, er ... pause [WHY DIDN'T I QUIT WHILE I WAS AHEAD?] ... drop-off in demand and contraction that has taken place. More importantly, for the long term, making sure that we've got a set of, er, er, regulations that are up to the task, er, and that includes, er, a number that will be discussed at this summit. I think there's a lot of convergence between all the parties involved about the need, for example, to focus not on the legal form that a particular financial product takes or the institution it emerges from, but rather what's the risk involved, what's the function of this product and how do we regulate that adequately, much more effective coordination, er, between countries so we can, er, anticipate the risks that are involved there. Dealing with the, er, problem of derivatives markets, making sure we have set up systems, er, that can reduce some of the risks there. So, I actually think ... pause [FANTASTIC. I'VE LOST EVERYONE, INCLUDING MYSELF] ... there's enormous consensus that has emerged in terms of what we need to do now and, er ... pause [I'M OUTTA HERE. TIME FOR THE USUAL CLOSING BOLLOCKS] ... I'm a great believer in looking forwards than looking backwards.

During the questions and answers with three reporters it was painful to watch. Obama was completely lost, clinging to the tele-prompter, stuttering, I counted Obama utter "uh" over 400 times.

As you can see the British press is all over Obamas poor speech skills when unscripted, answering simple questions.

Last edited:
Dude, don't you have anything better to do than count the Wizard of UHS mental pauses?

Seriously, you need a hobby.

Barack Obama, the World's Greatest Orator (™all news organisations), didn't exactly cover himself in glory when the BBC's political editor Nick Robinson asked him a question about who was to blame for the financial crisis. Normally word perfect, Obama ummed, ahed and waffled for the best part of two and a half minutes. Here, John Crace decodes what he was really thinking ...
Nick Robinson: "A question for you both, if I may. The prime minister has repeatedly blamed the United States of America for causing this crisis. France and Germany both blame Britain and America for causing this crisis. Who is right? And isn't the debate about that at the heart of the debate about what to do now?"
Brown immediately swivels to leave Obama in pole position. There is a four-second delay before Obama starts speaking [THANKS FOR NOTHING, GORDY BABY. REMIND ME TO HANG YOU OUT TO DRY ONE DAY.]

Barack Obama: "I, I, would say that, er ... pause [I HAVEN'T A CLUE] ... if you look at ... pause [WHO IS THIS NICK ROBINSON JERK?] ... the, the sources of this crisis ... pause [JUST KEEP GOING, BUDDY] ... the United States certainly has some accounting to do with respect to . . . pause [I'M IN WAY TOO DEEP HERE] ... a regulatory system that was inadequate to the massive changes that have taken place in the global financial system ... pause, close eyes [THIS IS GOING TO GO DOWN LIKE A CROCK OF SHIT BACK HOME. HELP]. I think what is also true is that ... pause [I WANT NICK ROBINSON TO DISAPPEAR] ... here in Great Britain ... pause [SHIT, GORDY'S THE HOST, DON'T LAND HIM IN IT] ... here in continental Europe ... pause [DAMN IT, BLAME EVERYONE.] ... around the world. We were seeing the same mismatch between the regulatory regimes that were in place and er ... pause [I'VE LOST MY TRAIN OF THOUGHT AGAIN] ... the highly integrated, er, global capital markets that have emerged ... pause [I'M REALLY WINGING IT NOW]. So at this point, I'm less interested in ... pause [YOU] ... identifying blame than fixing the problem. I think we've taken some very aggressive steps in the United States to do so, not just responding to the immediate crisis, ensuring banks are adequately capitalised, er, dealing with the enormous, er ... pause [WHY DIDN'T I QUIT WHILE I WAS AHEAD?] ... drop-off in demand and contraction that has taken place. More importantly, for the long term, making sure that we've got a set of, er, er, regulations that are up to the task, er, and that includes, er, a number that will be discussed at this summit. I think there's a lot of convergence between all the parties involved about the need, for example, to focus not on the legal form that a particular financial product takes or the institution it emerges from, but rather what's the risk involved, what's the function of this product and how do we regulate that adequately, much more effective coordination, er, between countries so we can, er, anticipate the risks that are involved there. Dealing with the, er, problem of derivatives markets, making sure we have set up systems, er, that can reduce some of the risks there. So, I actually think ... pause [FANTASTIC. I'VE LOST EVERYONE, INCLUDING MYSELF] ... there's enormous consensus that has emerged in terms of what we need to do now and, er ... pause [I'M OUTTA HERE. TIME FOR THE USUAL CLOSING BOLLOCKS] ... I'm a great believer in looking forwards than looking backwards.

During the questions and answers with three reporters it was painful to watch. Obama was completely lost, clinging to the tele-prompter, stuttering, I counted Obama utter "uh" over 400 times.

As you can see the British press is all over Obamas poor speech skills when unscripted, answering simple questions.

Have ya ever listened to his press secretary? :lol::lol::lol::lol::eusa_shhh:

Have ya ever listened to his press secretary? :lol::lol::lol::lol::eusa_shhh:

I tried but I fell asleep 2 minutes in.

I guess the UHHHH UMMMM disease is catching.

• Banned
The worst president I have seen when it comes to speaking. Embrassing.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8EvNJWM_NDg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8EvNJWM_NDg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

• Banned
Dude, don't you have anything better to do than count the Wizard of UHS mental pauses?

Seriously, you need a hobby.

I worked 12 hours that night, came to the hotel in madrid, turned on the tv and I get three english speaking channels, one is Sky news from England, one is bloomberg, and of course CNN international. I also work the night shift so going out to have some wine was out of the question. Further I had not found this site and was being cheap and did not want to pay 100$ to use the internet in the room for the week.

So no, I had nothing better to do and its hard to have a hobby on the road.

Gibbs, my god, I guess Obama cant fire or lose another person. Maybe Obama needs Gibbs so Obama looks good.

either way I am surprised the libs are not here screaming about bush

How funny. He was actually carefully trying NOT to blame BushCo who propped up every corporate whore he could find. Where was he when the red flags were being waved?

Obama sounds like an NPR host.

LOL! Agreed! My god the NPR commentators sound like the tired "intellectuals" I once ran with...short on even the most basic skills of communication, but loaded with self important nuance!

NPR is a hoot!

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8EvNJWM_NDg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8EvNJWM_NDg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Bush was never touted as some great orator... nor was he touted as a "genius" or "smartest president we have ever had"... yet Obama was/is... and he is as bad a speaker as Bush... worse than Bush when unscripted

He was caught off guard. He stumbled largely for two reasons, I believe. First, he is not accustomed to confrontational questioning in public that he had not been briefed for ahead of time. Second, the truth is about as internationally embarrassing, and fundamentally disgusting as it can get. This time, it is our fault. It all started long before Bush 43, and The Prophet's administration is continuing right down the same path. I don't think The Prophet even knew how to answer the question.

krotchdog;1150950During the questions and answers with three reporters it was painful to watch. Obama was completely lost said:
How funny. He was actually carefully trying NOT to blame BushCo who propped up every corporate whore he could find. Where was he when the red flags were being waved?

Husband's Business Ties to China Dog Feinstein - Los Angeles Times

Husband's Business Ties to China Dog Feinstein
By Richard Simon and Greg Krikorian
October 20, 2000

For years, international financier Richard C. Blum's vast business portfolio has persisted as a nettlesome issue for his wife, Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), a vocal proponent of increased China trade.

Three years ago, he vowed to turn over any profits from his China investments to charity.

Last year, as Feinstein prepared to run for reelection, Blum says, he disposed of his remaining personal investment in mainland China to avoid any hint of impropriety.

Even so, Blum continues to manage a partnership that has invested in China, records and interviews show. And he, his partnerships or accounts he manages have major interests in an airline seeking U.S. government approval to expand its China business and in a South Korean bank that operates a joint venture in China.

Corporate Democrats - Multinational Monitor Editor's Blog

Corporate Democrats
Multinational Monitor Editor's BlogMonday, June 19. 2006
Corporate Democrats
[posted to corp-focus, June 15]

By Russell Mokhiber and Robert Weissman

If you wonder why things never change in Washington, look no further than a report released yesterday by Russ Baker's Real News Project (WhoWhatWhy: Groundbreaking Investigative Journalism That Explores the Truth Behind Current Events).

The report documents 25 corporate Democrats -- corporate consultants with strong ties to the Democratic Party leadership inside the beltway.
"Although establishment Democrats are, by and large, still more skeptical of the corporate agenda than Republicans, they have become strikingly less so," Baker writes. "This has led to the creation of a kind of permanent corporate governance structure that is truly bipartisan. Many of the firms employing Democratic operatives have them working side-by-side with Republicans -- often the same Republicans they go up against in political campaigns. In some cases, a so-called conservative Republican and a so-called liberal Democrat are full partners in the same firm."

This is just the start but its a good example at showing how the statist or liberals or democrats blindly listen to what the media tells them to think

Democrats are as big if not even bigger corporate whores then Repube-licans.

Conservatives are not to be confused with Republicans, are party is diseased with the same problem as the Democrat party.

I hope you get the idea that simply posting bushco blah, blah, blah its is kindergarten work to show how its both parties and to demonize one or the other is to let both off the hook.

Look at congress, look at what they own, look at thier friends, both parties.

I cannot even flame you simply because of the seriousness of your error.

krotchdog;1150950During the questions and answers with three reporters it was painful to watch. Obama was completely lost said:

Husband's Business Ties to China Dog Feinstein - Los Angeles Times

Husband's Business Ties to China Dog Feinstein
By Richard Simon and Greg Krikorian
October 20, 2000

For years, international financier Richard C. Blum's vast business portfolio has persisted as a nettlesome issue for his wife, Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), a vocal proponent of increased China trade.

Three years ago, he vowed to turn over any profits from his China investments to charity.

Last year, as Feinstein prepared to run for reelection, Blum says, he disposed of his remaining personal investment in mainland China to avoid any hint of impropriety.

Even so, Blum continues to manage a partnership that has invested in China, records and interviews show. And he, his partnerships or accounts he manages have major interests in an airline seeking U.S. government approval to expand its China business and in a South Korean bank that operates a joint venture in China.

Corporate Democrats - Multinational Monitor Editor's Blog

Corporate Democrats
Multinational Monitor Editor's BlogMonday, June 19. 2006
Corporate Democrats
[posted to corp-focus, June 15]

By Russell Mokhiber and Robert Weissman

If you wonder why things never change in Washington, look no further than a report released yesterday by Russ Baker's Real News Project (WhoWhatWhy: Groundbreaking Investigative Journalism That Explores the Truth Behind Current Events).

The report documents 25 corporate Democrats -- corporate consultants with strong ties to the Democratic Party leadership inside the beltway.
"Although establishment Democrats are, by and large, still more skeptical of the corporate agenda than Republicans, they have become strikingly less so," Baker writes. "This has led to the creation of a kind of permanent corporate governance structure that is truly bipartisan. Many of the firms employing Democratic operatives have them working side-by-side with Republicans -- often the same Republicans they go up against in political campaigns. In some cases, a so-called conservative Republican and a so-called liberal Democrat are full partners in the same firm."

This is just the start but its a good example at showing how the statist or liberals or democrats blindly listen to what the media tells them to think

Democrats are as big if not even bigger corporate whores then Repube-licans.

Conservatives are not to be confused with Republicans, are party is diseased with the same problem as the Democrat party.

I hope you get the idea that simply posting bushco blah, blah, blah its is kindergarten work to show how its both parties and to demonize one or the other is to let both off the hook.

Look at congress, look at what they own, look at thier friends, both parties.

I cannot even flame you simply because of the seriousness of your error.

Must be I pushed the right buttons to deserve such a long, drawn-out response. Bush Blah Blah Blah will be making news for many years to come. Get used to it.

Maybe you're too young to remember Reagan's long, looooong pauses while he collected his thoughts, when he wasn't using a <gasp> teleprompter, that is. Reagan was also good at deflection, telling a quickie joke, hoping whomever asked would forget the question which required a carefully thought out answer. But so what?

While there are valid criticisms of Barack Obama, I find this one the most desperate by those who hate him. How many of you have had formal public speaking courses and/or experience speaking to large and often hostile crowds? How many of you would need to navigate the waters to make sure you weren't stepping on toes, saying something that could be misinterpreted, or even top secret? It's ever so easy to WRITE your thoughts, thanks to the copy/paste/delete properties, but I defy you to actually SAY, in unbroken verse, some of the things you post.

How hilarious thatthe right is attacking Obama for his speaking ability.

Compared to Bush Obama wood sound good if he was drooling on himself.

You righties are really desperate!

How hilarious thatthe right is attacking Obama for his speaking ability. Compared to Bush Obama wood sound good if he was drooling on himself. You righties are really desperate!
Wood? :confused:

All that really matters is that America overcame it's racism by voting for the colored guy.

Hmmm.. as stated... but typically ignored by the ignorant lefty poster... nobody claimed Bush to be some great orator...

But the praise was going to Obama like mana from heaven.... "genius" "smartest president ever".. etc.. yet he bumbles over himself like a rookie at a drama try-out

He was caught off guard. He stumbled largely for two reasons, I believe. First, he is not accustomed to confrontational questioning in public that he had not been briefed for ahead of time. Second, the truth is about as internationally embarrassing, and fundamentally disgusting as it can get. This time, it is our fault. It all started long before Bush 43, and The Prophet's administration is continuing right down the same path. I don't think The Prophet even knew how to answer the question.

The American media has been giving him a pass for 2 years.
You nailed it.

I have listened to bush, obama, and the statist left, and I do not mean this to apply to you but I think the educated yankees are bigoted or just hate the dialect of southerners. Sure bush gaffed, but the hatred associated with pointing this out points to a deeper prejudice.This may not apply to the user but the user gave me an oppurtunity to point this out.

Forum List

Back