The Purpose of a Tool

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
OK so the control freak gun grabbers like to say the purpose of a gun is to kill.

I say the purpose of a gun is to fire a projectile accurately at a chosen target.

So the question I want to ask does is how and by whom is the purpose of a tool, any tool, defined?

I think the purpose of any tool is defined by the person using that tool.

For example if I use a hammer to cave in your skull then the purpose of that hammer at that time was to cave in a skull.

If I use a wrench to drive a nail because I broke my hammer caving in a skull then the purpose of the wrench at that time was to drive a nail

So does the intent of the wielder of the tool define its purpose?

The purpose of any tool is what that tool was designed for. Guns are designed to shoot projectiles. Hammers are designed, primarily for nails.
People may use an item for anything they choose but the purpose of that item is what it was designed for.

No. The purpose of a tool is defined by the creator of that tool. Every tool is designed for a specific purpose. Used for anything else, it is being MIS-used (even if it is effective). The purpose of a firearm is to fire a projectile in order to effect an action at a distance. Most specifically hit or strike an object from far away. That's it. Simple as that. It just so happens that one of the most popular APPLICATIONS of that ability was to remove a combatant from the immediate vicinity of his opponent so that instead of having to face his foe face-to-face in battle with sword in hand, he could remove himself to a distance where he could still strike the enemy while being (hopefully) out of his reach.

Put another way, guns technically made war safer and more efficient, saving lives. Ask yourself how many more police would be killed if they had to face every criminal in hand to hand struggles? So while misused, guns cost lives, they save many times more in the advantage they serve both in war, civilian peacekeeping and fending off would-be criminals.

The purpose of any tool is what that tool was designed for. Guns are designed to shoot projectiles. Hammers are designed, primarily for nails.
People may use an item for anything they choose but the purpose of that item is what it was designed for.

So if a rock was the first tool then it was not designed for a purpose.
The purpose was defined by the intent of the person wielding the tool. The rock's purpose could have been to chip flint or to be thrown at a rabbit, or to bash a person in the face.

It matters not what the designer of the tool says the purpose of that tool is because the purpose of a tool is defined by the user as he is using it

No. The purpose of a tool is defined by the creator of that tool. Every tool is designed for a specific purpose. Used for anything else, it is being MIS-used (even if it is effective). The purpose of a firearm is to fire a projectile in order to effect an action at a distance. Most specifically hit or strike an object from far away. That's it. Simple as that. It just so happens that one of the most popular APPLICATIONS of that ability was to remove a combatant from the immediate vicinity of his opponent so that instead of having to face his foe face-to-face in battle with sword in hand, he could remove himself to a distance where he could still strike the enemy while being (hopefully) out of his reach.

Put another way, guns technically made war safer and more efficient, saving lives. Ask yourself how many more police would be killed if they had to face every criminal in hand to hand struggles? So while misused, guns cost lives, they save many times more in the advantage they serve both in war, civilian peacekeeping and fending off would-be criminals.

Let's not get too fixated on guns as the argument applies to anything used as a tool.

If I use a screwdriver to punch a hole in a piece of leather that is the screwdriver's purpose as I am using it is to punch a hole in a piece of leather. It matters not that it was designed to apply torque to a screw.

If I use that screwdriver to stab you in the eye then that is its purpose at the time.

Intent defines purpose.

That is correct...rocks laying around on the ground were not designed by men. Therefore they could be anything anyone wanted...the same with pieces of wood...iron/copper ore...these are called raw materials...R-A-W M-A-T-E-R-I-A-L-S. These are the basic components in which many of the very first inventions were created, such as the stone axe...wheat mill...arrowhead...the wheel.

It matters not what the designer of the tool says the purpose of that tool is because the purpose of a tool is defined by the user as he is using it
Exactly...that's why I use aircraft to refrigerate my beer.

Last edited:
Let's not get too fixated on guns as the argument applies to anything used as a tool.

If I use a screwdriver to punch a hole in a piece of leather that is the screwdriver's purpose as I am using it is to punch a hole in a piece of leather. It matters not that it was designed to apply torque to a screw.

If I use that screwdriver to stab you in the eye then that is its purpose at the time.

Intent defines purpose.

Fine, but now you are answering your own question you originally asked of others. No, as a designer and an engineer, I will tell you that intent (concept) (of the designer) determines design. And design determines purpose. If you choose to use a tool for something else, fine, but your intent to misuse the tool does NOT change the absolute (originally designed and intended) purpose of the tool, it only changes your intentions (or purpose) on how you intend to use it, not the original purpose of the tool itself as intended by the designer. And this is not a matter of semantics. Where you are going wrong is by assuming there is only one purpose: Intent of the designer determines the intrinsic purpose of the tool; the intent of its USER only determines HIS purpose.

OK so the control freak gun grabbers like to say the purpose of a gun is to kill.

I say the purpose of a gun is to fire a projectile accurately at a chosen target.

So the question I want to ask does is how and by whom is the purpose of a tool, any tool, defined?

For example if I use a hammer to cave in your skull then the purpose of that hammer at that time was to cave in a skull.

If I use a wrench to drive a nail because I broke my hammer caving in a skull then the purpose of the wrench at that time was to drive a nail

That is just it and something they don't seem to grasp.

A gun's design is to propel a projectile at high velocity away from the gun, or down range if you will.

Its entire function is to do this. The design does not take into consideration anything other than the velocity achieved, the boring for accuracy, the weight for usability, the grip for security and comfort for the user.

What and where the projectile his or is stopped by is not part of the design. So it can be accurately stated that a gun is NOT designed to kill because that is not part of the design.

Now, there are terms bandied about such as 'stopping power' and muzzle velocity, but all that refers to the actual bullet or projectile. The grains of the powder used for the chemical reaction which unseats the lead projectile and hurls it downrange. That too is designed not for killing, but for maximum expulsion at a given grain weight.

When we talk about a gun killing, we are talking about the intent of the person who is misusing the gun.

Make no mistake about it. A gun used to defend self or family is not a gun that has been misused. A gun that kills kids or other innocents IS a gun that has been misused.

Just like an auto or any other tool, its misuse can or will cause death, but a tool cannot misuse itself. Only a person can misuse a tool.

If the purpose of a gun is to kill then that means the purpose of police is to kill people.. I always thought the purpose of a gun was to protect yourself as the last line of defense but I guess I was wrong

That is correct...rocks laying around on the ground were not designed by men. Therefore they could be anything anyone wanted...the same with pieces of wood...iron/copper ore...these are called raw materials...R-A-W M-A-T-E-R-I-A-L-S. These are the basic components in which many of the very first inventions were created, such as the stone axe...wheat mill...arrowhead...the wheel.

Exactly...that's why I use aircraft to refrigerate my beer.

A stone picked up from the ground was the first tool. Refinements took generations

The tool's purpose is whatever you decide to use it for.

And calling an aircraft a tool is a bit of a stretch but hey if you like warm beer and can afford to park a plane in your yard you can

If the purpose of a gun is to kill then that means the purpose of police is to kill people.. I always thought the purpose of a gun was to protect yourself as the last line of defense but I guess I was wrong

My point is that the purpose of any tool is defined only by the intent of the user.

A tool can be designed to do something. A gun is designed to propel a projectile that it all it is designed for. The purpose of the gun is defined by your intent

That is just it and something they don't seem to grasp.

A gun's design is to propel a projectile at high velocity away from the gun, or down range if you will.

Its entire function is to do this. The design does not take into consideration anything other than the velocity achieved, the boring for accuracy, the weight for usability, the grip for security and comfort for the user.

What and where the projectile his or is stopped by is not part of the design. So it can be accurately stated that a gun is NOT designed to kill because that is not part of the design.

Now, there are terms bandied about such as 'stopping power' and muzzle velocity, but all that refers to the actual bullet or projectile. The grains of the powder used for the chemical reaction which unseats the lead projectile and hurls it downrange. That too is designed not for killing, but for maximum expulsion at a given grain weight.

When we talk about a gun killing, we are talking about the intent of the person who is misusing the gun.

Make no mistake about it. A gun used to defend self or family is not a gun that has been misused. A gun that kills kids or other innocents IS a gun that has been misused.

Just like an auto or any other tool, its misuse can or will cause death, but a tool cannot misuse itself. Only a person can misuse a tool.
Well said

Forum List

Back