The Phish Thread

WillMunny

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2016
Any Phish performance that makes you feel like "dancing 'round the room," knock yourselves out here, my beloved USMB motherfuckers, lol!

Last edited:
Possibly one of Phish's longest, most playful-sounding, gradually changing psychedelic jam.

fun starts 24 mins in

Their extremely long jams went to some very unusual musical places, didn't they?

A friend dragged me to this show, how I was introduced to Phish. Quite the experience to say the least and the extended jams were amazing to me at the time. Remember this was 1993 before Phish exploded in popularity. I'm more of a hard rock/prog rock/metal/grunge type yet this concert was one of the best I ever attended. A beautiful summer afternoon massive party, everyone as happy as can be with fun music.

fun starts 24 mins in

Their extremely long jams went to some very unusual musical places, didn't they?

A friend dragged me to this show, how I was introduced to Phish. Quite the experience to say the least and the extended jams were amazing to me at the time. Remember this was 1993 before Phish exploded in popularity. I'm more of a hard rock/prog rock/metal/grunge type yet this concert was one of the best I ever attended. A beautiful summer afternoon massive party, everyone as happy as can be with fun music.

I naturally got into Phish because in the early '90s I was a huge fan of Phish's closest sister band, the Grateful Dead. In my late teens/early twenties, when Jerry was alive I saw the Dead in several different venues around the western US. And one of the many musical commonalities of the two bands live (besides having an ecletic, wild mix of different musical styles in each song), their long, improv jams managed to explore the musical "outer planets", shall we say. I know exactly the colorful, celebrational musical-carnival vibe you mean.

This is the second Phish concert I went to, a bit of a drive but well worth it. There were about as many non ticket holders as ticket holders outside the venue in this small city having an impromptu party. I watched a few guys climb over police barriers, and climb up the outside of the building going into an open second floor door.

Inside the venue "floor" seats were numbered folding chairs. People were folding them up so they had room to dance, and security was having a hard time stopping them. By the second set almost all the floor folding chairs were in piles at different ends of the arena, some 14 or 16 ft tall. People were climbing these huge piles of folding chairs. Security basically gave up and left. Fun, fun, fun :razz:

Fri, 1994-11-04 Onondaga War Memorial Auditorium

I've loved this Phish song for years but I admit I'm still puzzled by the lyrics. I don't know what they mean by "the great divide." Careful with your speakers, this recording has very strong low-end sounds.

Forum List

Back