The Obama's Sell Out to Food Companies

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
So the other day I saw a documentary called "FedUp". Another one of those good old horror stories about today food science. Except this wasnt just a tale...they went into deep details about how the food manufactures go to great length to take the focus off of the shit food, added sugars, fats and chemicals to make people want more...and instead focus on whats wrong with tens of millions of individuals and individual responsibility is to blame not their test tube foods.

Then I saw this part...pissed me off.

How Big Food Corporations Watered Down Michelle Obama’s ‘Let’s Move’ Campaign

Snip to the good stuff:

Besides school lunch reform, however, “Let’s Move” has deliberately veered away from pushing actual legislation, instead focusing on personal responsibility in nutrition and fitness. That’s a very different approach than the one Mrs. Obama took during the inception of her fight against childhood obesity. In 2010, the First Lady gave a fiery speech at a Grocery Manufacturers Association conference, arguing that changing personal habits won’t work if big companies like Kraft and General Mills continue to target children with misleading ads for sugary, fatty food:

This is a shared responsibility. That’s why I’ve gone to parents and I’ve asked them to do their part. They have a responsibility to watch what their kids eat and teach good habits.[…]And all of you have a responsibility as well.

And we need you not just to tweak around the edges, but to entirely rethink the products that you’re offering, the information that you provide about these products, and how you market those products to our children. That starts with revamping or ramping up your efforts to reformulate your products, particularly those aimed at kids, so that they have less fat, salt, and sugar, and more of the nutrients that our kids need.

As a mom, I know it is my responsibility — and no one else’s — to raise my kids. But what does it mean when so many parents are finding that their best efforts are undermined by an avalanche of advertisements aimed at their kids? And what are these ads teaching kids about food and nutrition? That it’s good to have salty, sugary food and snacks every day — breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

These remarks gave food reform advocates hope that “Let’s Move” was taking on processed food manufacturers’ exploitative overuse of sweeteners and fats, a main cause of the obesity epidemic. But a little over a year later, Mrs. Obama backed away from this hard truth and redirected “Let’s Move” to focus on exercise and personal fitness — a position favored by processed food companies to divert scrutiny of their products.

While self-regulating companies can make a big difference, their standards tend to be far more lenient than federal regulations. In 2011, a federal task force drafted voluntary guidelines for marketing food to children only to see them killed by a lobbying blitz by Walt Disney, Nestlé, Kellogg and General Mills — all companies involved in Let’s Move partnerships. Meanwhile, “Let’s Move” stayed silent on the proposed standards, despite Mrs. Obama’s earlier condemnation of junk food advertising. A few months later, the First Lady announced a separate agreement with Disney with significantly watered down guidelines to end marketing junk food to kids.

Here is a cute cat gif to keep your attention
3.gif

Ok moving on...

This avoidance of policy change may have something to do with the food lobby’s influence in Obama’s White House. According to a Reuters analysis, 50 food and beverage groups have spentmore than $175 million in lobbying since Obama took office, dwarfing the $83 million spent in the last 3 years of the Bush administration.

The new MyPlate Recipe Partnership suggests that even in the post-election season, “Let’s Move” will still emphasize personal habits. It doesn’t seem likely that the campaign will attempt to rein in Big Food through regulation anytime soon. In a Wall Street Journal op-ed on Wednesday, the First Lady congratulated “great American companies” like Walmart, Disney, and Walgreens for “stepping up to invest in building a healthier future for our kids.”

Interesting.

I think that these companies are fighting a losing battle though. More and more people are reading labels and steering clear of fast food.

There was a part in the documentary where they showed peoples push to drink skim milk took off but the downside was that they had all this milk fat left over. So what did they do? Make more cheese and push it to the public in familiar forms.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/07/us/07fat.html

Domino’s Pizza was hurting early last year. Domestic sales had fallen, and a survey of big pizza chain customers left the company tied for the worst tasting pies.

Then help arrived from an organization called Dairy Management. It teamed up with Domino’s to develop a new line of pizzas with 40 percent more cheese, and proceeded to devise and pay for a $12 million marketing campaign.

Consumers devoured the cheesier pizza, and sales soared by double digits. “This partnership is clearly working,” Brandon Solano, the Domino’s vice president for brand innovation, said in a statement to The New York Times.

But as healthy as this pizza has been for Domino’s, one slice contains as much as two-thirds of a day’s maximum recommended amount ofsaturated fat, which has been linked to heart disease and is high in calories.

And Dairy Management, which has made cheese its cause, is not a private business consultant. It is a marketing creation of the United States Department of Agriculture — the same agency at the center of a federal anti-obesity drive that discourages over-consumption of some of the very foods Dairy Management is vigorously promoting.

That spawned such awfulness as this

tumblr_lnnw75BA6H1qcn3o7o1_1280-560x424.jpg

But in a series of confidential agreements approved by agriculture secretaries in both the Bush and Obama administrations, Dairy Management has worked with restaurants to expand their menus with cheese-laden products.

Consider the Taco Bell steak quesadilla, with cheddar, pepper jack, mozzarella and a creamy sauce. “The item used an average of eight times more cheese than other items on their menu,” the Agriculture Department said in a report, extolling Dairy Management’s work — without mentioning that the quesadilla has more than three-quarters of the daily recommended level of saturated fat and sodium.

After having cancer 3 years ago I woke up realizing what is in the crap that the government is allowing in not only our food but medications too. Doctors are forced to go by and prescribe only what is FDA approved. My cancer is back and one shot is $20,000, one bag of chemo 10,000.

This is why the big companies have their hands all over the government that is suppose to be protecting us

I read that they just passed a law not only to poison and be sneaky about our food, but to allow sick meats onto the market. And passed a law that farm animals are exempt from the crueilty laws.

Things are getting out thanks to the internet

BTW: they use human china hair in our breads to keep them moist hiding it via words no one can understand

Obozo's a sellout.

Welcome to reality. Too bad it took you 7 years.

And these dolts think Bernie and Hillary are any different. If they banded together and all hopped on board for Jill Stein, I might actually go to the polls for the first time in like, forever. And frankly, I really don't care for over 75% of her policy positions. But hey, anyone that is anti-establishment, (like Trump,) I know is telling me the truth.

So the other day I saw a documentary called "FedUp". Another one of those good old horror stories about today food science. Except this wasnt just a tale...they went into deep details about how the food manufactures go to great length to take the focus off of the shit food, added sugars, fats and chemicals to make people want more...and instead focus on whats wrong with tens of millions of individuals and individual responsibility is to blame not their test tube foods.

Then I saw this part...pissed me off.

How Big Food Corporations Watered Down Michelle Obama’s ‘Let’s Move’ Campaign

Snip to the good stuff:

Besides school lunch reform, however, “Let’s Move” has deliberately veered away from pushing actual legislation, instead focusing on personal responsibility in nutrition and fitness. That’s a very different approach than the one Mrs. Obama took during the inception of her fight against childhood obesity. In 2010, the First Lady gave a fiery speech at a Grocery Manufacturers Association conference, arguing that changing personal habits won’t work if big companies like Kraft and General Mills continue to target children with misleading ads for sugary, fatty food:

This is a shared responsibility. That’s why I’ve gone to parents and I’ve asked them to do their part. They have a responsibility to watch what their kids eat and teach good habits.[…]And all of you have a responsibility as well.

And we need you not just to tweak around the edges, but to entirely rethink the products that you’re offering, the information that you provide about these products, and how you market those products to our children. That starts with revamping or ramping up your efforts to reformulate your products, particularly those aimed at kids, so that they have less fat, salt, and sugar, and more of the nutrients that our kids need.

As a mom, I know it is my responsibility — and no one else’s — to raise my kids. But what does it mean when so many parents are finding that their best efforts are undermined by an avalanche of advertisements aimed at their kids? And what are these ads teaching kids about food and nutrition? That it’s good to have salty, sugary food and snacks every day — breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

These remarks gave food reform advocates hope that “Let’s Move” was taking on processed food manufacturers’ exploitative overuse of sweeteners and fats, a main cause of the obesity epidemic. But a little over a year later, Mrs. Obama backed away from this hard truth and redirected “Let’s Move” to focus on exercise and personal fitness — a position favored by processed food companies to divert scrutiny of their products.

While self-regulating companies can make a big difference, their standards tend to be far more lenient than federal regulations. In 2011, a federal task force drafted voluntary guidelines for marketing food to children only to see them killed by a lobbying blitz by Walt Disney, Nestlé, Kellogg and General Mills — all companies involved in Let’s Move partnerships. Meanwhile, “Let’s Move” stayed silent on the proposed standards, despite Mrs. Obama’s earlier condemnation of junk food advertising. A few months later, the First Lady announced a separate agreement with Disney with significantly watered down guidelines to end marketing junk food to kids.

Here is a cute cat gif to keep your attention
3.gif

Ok moving on...

This avoidance of policy change may have something to do with the food lobby’s influence in Obama’s White House. According to a Reuters analysis, 50 food and beverage groups have spentmore than $175 million in lobbying since Obama took office, dwarfing the $83 million spent in the last 3 years of the Bush administration.

The new MyPlate Recipe Partnership suggests that even in the post-election season, “Let’s Move” will still emphasize personal habits. It doesn’t seem likely that the campaign will attempt to rein in Big Food through regulation anytime soon. In a Wall Street Journal op-ed on Wednesday, the First Lady congratulated “great American companies” like Walmart, Disney, and Walgreens for “stepping up to invest in building a healthier future for our kids.”
I made my teenager watch this documentary. We are constantly fighting about what he is allowed to eat. He doesn't understand why we are always reading food labels, shopping at the organic market, etc. I told him it's because the FDA is run by the food corporations and people need to take personal responsibility for what goes into their body. TV is the world's best brain washing tool, and just because a store sells it, doesn't mean it isn't poison.

Silly Wabbit! Trix are for kids who don't get to go to the dentist enough!

Even the dentist is not the safest place of little ones. They will use fluoride treatments unnecessarily, and on the poor that can't afford composite fillings, in some places, they will still fill teeth with mercury.

After having cancer 3 years ago I woke up realizing what is in the crap that the government is allowing in not only our food but medications too. Doctors are forced to go by and prescribe only what is FDA approved. My cancer is back and one shot is $20,000, one bag of chemo 10,000.

This is why the big companies have their hands all over the government that is suppose to be protecting us

I read that they just passed a law not only to poison and be sneaky about our food, but to allow sick meats onto the market. And passed a law that farm animals are exempt from the crueilty laws.

BTW: they use human china hair in our breads to keep them moist hiding it via words no one can understand

My son asked me the other day whether they had found a cure for cancer. I responded with, do you want the official answer, or the truth?

Treating cancer is a multi-million dollar industry. As such, do you think a cure will ever be found?

Anyone that hasn't gone vegetarian for health reasons by now is asking for a regular relationship with the health care industry and an early grave.

Last edited:

Sorry to hear that. I hope you kick that cancer. :(

My son asked me the other day whether they had found a cure for cancer. I responded with, do you want the official answer, or the truth?

Treating cancer is a multi-million dollar industry. As such, do you think a cure will ever be found?

My mom has probably spent a million dollars trying to get rid of eczema, with her hands cracked and bleeding for over 20 years. Who knew she could cure herself with a proper diet? Doctors don't to talk to patients about eating healthy, they just write more scripts. In the past 20 years, not one doctor has talked to her about her diet.

My mom has probably spent a million dollars trying to get rid of eczema, with her hands cracked and bleeding for over 20 years. Who knew she could cure herself with a proper diet? Doctors don't to talk to patients about eating healthy, they just write more scripts. In the past 20 years, not one doctor has talked to her about her diet.
Steve Jobs His Treatment Plan Where It Went Wrong - DrAxe.com

Steve Jobs His Treatment Plan Where It Went Wrong - DrAxe.com

I agree with this 100% (from your link)

Nutritional deficiencies come about when your diet is lacking in vital nutrients. Throw away the prepackaged, boxed prepared foods and buy whole foods your body can actually utilize and thrive from. Organic is always best for the body because it has the least amount of toxic pollutants. Some of the best foods for your body can be grown right in your own garden. The best and safest way to receive vitamins and minerals the body needs is through whole organic foods.

I think we can reasonably say that Steve Job’s, for the most part, ate a healthy diet and cleansed his body periodically. Plus we know that he did receive excellent alternative care treatments. Twenty years is a long time to battle with cancer but Steve had a great outlook on life and was not in pain or weakened for most of those twenty years.

So what can we learn from this? Eat healthier and take care of yourself in every area of your life. Those areas are physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. Steve Job’s recognized these areas and took action and this is why he lived happily for 20 years with pancreatic cancer.

After my second brain surgery, I could not function. Luckily I had a family practitioner that was a D.O. and not an M.D. He looked for alternative solutions, a whole body solution. Nothing that he could "officially" sanction, but he was familiar with all sorts of stuff, everything from acupunture to diet. He told me that if I really wanted to feel better, my whole body must function together, and to do some research into what I am putting into it. Things aren't great, but at least I can get out of bed and have some really great days now. His advice and knowledge gave me back my life. This isn't a political issue, it's a human issue.

I remember at the start of the Health Care debate, my position was, we all were having a "deathcare" debate, for that is what it truly is. We were looking to further entrench our view of medicine as a treatment paradigm. Making people sick so drug companies, the toxic food companies, and the allopathic care industry could make even more money off of an ignorant population. If I go into the doctor's office, I tell him straight off, I don't want any drugs, I want to know what is the cause, and I want to know the cure. What I am doing, or what environmental trigger caused this situation. Unless it is a chemical or genetic factor, I'm not taking a drug to get rid of it. I'll change my diet, take a supplement, do a therapy, a new exercise or get a surgery, or remove an environmental toxin, but there should be no need for a permanent drug. Nature did not evolve us with a drug deficiency.

Of course they lobbied harder at the Obama's, they saw Michelle Obama's speech went "uh oh, we better throw more money at this" they did, problem went away, political process in action.

Forum List

Back