The ‘No kids’ debate continues

actsnoblemartin

I love Andrea & April
Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, CA
The ‘No kids’ debate continues - Arts & Culture - Macleans.ca

Writer Anne Kingston takes on the impassioned—and often cruel—reader letters about her controversial article
by Anne Kingston on Thursday, August 13, 2009 11:59pm - 376 Comments

We knew “The Case Against Having Kids,” the August 3 cover story, would elicit response and debate. But we weren’t prepared for the deluge—well over a hundred letters and more than 1,000 comments on Macleans.ca (at last count). Clearly, the subject struck a nerve—and as one email indicates, even a gastrointestinal tract or two: “Disgusted,” was its subject line. “It made me nauseous to read the article…in fact, I’m not even sure what was the point of the article aside from promoting yet another fad and the ultimate age of selfishness.”

So to recap the point of the article: to examine the small but growing strata of people who are choosing not to have children. The moment was ripe: Corinne Maier’s manifesto No Kids: 40 Good Reasons Not to Have Children, which sparked furor in France last year, was about to land in North America. Increasingly those who are voluntarily childless are taken seriously as a statistical cohort and as the subject of research. Additionally, a number of high-profile women, such Cameron Diaz, have recently said they have no plans to have children.

I have a few friends that have decided to not have children. I only plan on having the one I do have.

My wife and I are blissfully child-free and staying that way.
51R0DQ627CL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-big,TopRight,35,-73_OU01_AA240_.jpg
Feel free to have a few extra for us. Thanks!

Who gives a fuck about another families decision to have or not to have kids? It would take an awfully arrogant asshole to think it any of their business.
Personally, I couldn't imagine not sharing my life with my 3 kids, but again it's our decision and nobody's business.

Forum List

Back