the new world disorder

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ScreamingEagle, Jan 31, 2007.

1. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    and more land grabbing...NO TO TOLLS!

2. BaronVonBigmeat

BaronVonBigmeat Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +160
    I'm a big fan of getting governments out of the business of building roads alltogether. But what they're talking about isn't privatization; it's outsourcing. The government decides where roads will go without regards to any real economic cost/benefit analysis, then they use the muscle of government to grab land (emminent domain), and then the road is turned over to a private company to administer. I say, auction off the government roads, pay off government debts, and from then on let private companies buy up the land they need and build roads, without stealing people's land.

3. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    I belive it to be even more sinister than outsourcing ,as in the case of ports ,the roads will be outsourced to foreign control

4. ScreamingEagle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    Can you imagine a nation-wide system of nothing but toll roads and highways that are owned and run by private parties and foreign entities? Can you imagine having to pay a toll every time you leave your home and drive onto the local boulevard to go downtown? You can be quite sure your other taxes would not be reduced while your new driving costs went up. Take a look at what private parking lots are charging these days. Of course the government would still get its cut of the profits. The extra costs you'd have to pay would effectively restrict your freedom of movement.

Of course liberals would love this change as they love anything that restricts your personal freedom. They would love for us to abandon our 'global warming' cars and stuff ourselves into controlled mass transit.

5. ScreamingEagle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    Exactly. Our government is selling off our country.

6. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,756
    Yup, they are trying to put a toll on an already existing public road, the 1604. I live right off of it and have to use it to go anywhere. Just to go to a local mall or grocery store I have to drive about 5 miles on the 1604. With a toll that will add alot of extra costs just to make a quick run anywhere. So either we get to pay out of the ass for big businesses to profit from importing cheap shit from Mexico, or we get to take a bunch of side streets and take 3 to 4 times longer to go anywhere, and wasting just that much more gas.

Brilliant.

7. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    No, not foreigners! Anyone but foreigners! Especially Australians. I never could trust them. Shifty folks.

8. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Forgive me if I'm offbase here, but isn't this entire situation about a Texas newspaper company being sold to an Australian compan? China, India, Europe, and Russia have nothing to do with the deal.

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Ah you noticed that eots has problems with the topics at hand? Thanks for that. I'll once again say (s)he has the opportunity to start a conspiracy thread on her/his topic.

10. ScreamingEagle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    Not entirely. Besides the foreign company Macquarie Media Group of Australia (a subsidiary of Macquarie), the deal also involves another foreign company (Cintra) from Spain which is part of Europe. Macquarie is an investment partner with Cintra which in turn would benefit if the newspaper critics were silenced about Cintra's chipping away at U.S. sovereignty.

These are foreign investment consortiums. Who knows who are members (or potential members or behind-the-scenes members) of these consortiums.