The New Golden Age Of NFL QBs..

The golden age of quarterbacks ended almost a decade ago. At it's peak in the 80s you had Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Jim Kelly, Jim Everett, Warren Moon, John Elway, and Troy Aikman all actively playing.

Many of the QBs, the rookies that are celebrated right now, don't last long. Basically they are running backs who can throw. Quickly, injuries slow them down and they are forced to throw more and that's when they can't cut it any more.

Throw in Bernie Kosar, Steve Young, Boomer Esiason, Phil Simms, etc.

The 80s and the early 90s were the "golden age" of quarterbacks, from a QUANTITY standpoint. So many great quarterbacks duking it out every year.

Brady, the two Mannings, Aaron Rodgers, Brees, Rothlesberger and now Luck, RG3 and Wilson coming up?

Not too shabby

No, it isn't. Let's see how long Luck, RGIII and Wilson last then we can know.

I'd still take Marino, Montana, Kelly, Moon, Aikman, and Elway over them right now.

First off....you left off Steve Young (for Jim Everett?)

We will know better in about five years as to who comes out better. Right now, we have as good a group of QBs as I have seen in my lifetime. Hard to compare eras as the rules make it easier to pass. But the throws I see them complete and the reading of Defenses and audibles is spectacular.

I put in Everett because I believe he was a great QB on a bad team but I can't argue that so I'll drop him from the list. The omittance of Steve Young was a mistake on my part.

I agree that we'll see in 5 years. I don't mean to take anything away from Brady, the Mannings, and Rothlesburger, no doubt that they are among the elite, but even if the other do well, I'd still go with my seven against them.

The golden age of quarterbacks ended almost a decade ago. At it's peak in the 80s you had Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Jim Kelly, Jim Everett, Warren Moon, John Elway, and Troy Aikman all actively playing.

Many of the QBs, the rookies that are celebrated right now, don't last long. Basically they are running backs who can throw. Quickly, injuries slow them down and they are forced to throw more and that's when they can't cut it any more.

The 80s and the early 90s were the "golden age" of quarterbacks, from a QUANTITY standpoint. So many great quarterbacks duking it out every year.

Randall Cunningham, Dan Fouts

Good group

Good group

Geez, how could I forget Fouts and Cunningham. They definitely belong in that group.

How about Bobby Hebert, Jim McMahon, and maybe even Vinny Testaverde?

I think that the Golden age of QBs began at about the early 80s, and ended around the late 1990s. Bret Favre being the last of them.

John Elway, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Warren Moon, Dan Fouts, Steve young, Troy Aikman, Brett Favre, Drew Bledsoe, and others.

The era of colleges preferring rushing QBs put an end to the Golden Age of QBs. The Mannings, and Brady being exceptions.

Randal Cunningham was the first of them, imo, and then came McNabb, Vick, etc. Take away their ability to run and they're dead in the water.

Agreed.

Good group

i disagree with Cunningham but Fouts, yes.

Good group

Geez, how could I forget Fouts and Cunningham. They definitely belong in that group.

I'm not sure that McMahon was really any good as NFL starting QBs go. Take him away from that Bears Defense and he's done nothing. I can't agree with Vinny or Bobby.

Good group

I agree... I have seen Cunningham play and he was nothing extraordinary. Another guy that wasn't very impressive was McNabb. I have seen him play several times in person and he was just average..even though he did have a few great games.

Jim Everette?

:lmao:

Fine, you could remove Everett and it still wouldn't matter. We'll likely never see the likes of that much QB talent on the field again.

You are not paying attention..or perhaps you haven't seen the stats from the first 15 games of the season. Wilson is one TD shy of the rookie QB passing record set by Peyton Manning. It is highly likely Wilson will break that record tommorow. RG3 and Luck are not that far behind. The only one of the group I fear will not prevail long is RG3. He already has a serioius knee injury which is never a good sign.

You're not paying attention. I'm not arguing that this group isn't good, but if they don't last than they really cannot compare to the group in the 80s and 90s that did. You can't have one or two good seasons and be called the best or be compared to the best.

Good group

I agree... I have seen Cunningham play and he was nothing extraordinary. Another guy that wasn't very impressive was McNabb. I have seen him play several times in person and he was just average..even though he did have a few great games.

I'm not really impressed by the running QBs like them. You force them to pass and you beat them.

I'm not really impressed by the running QBs like them. You force them to pass and you beat them.

The old style running QBs were not from the same mold of RG3 or Wilson. The old guys hand a few plays but they ran mostly to escape a sack. Wilson And RG3 run with a purpose to score touchdowns and they prove it by getting tochdowns.. Older QBs got almost all their TDs with the "sneak" close to the goal line. I don't know about RG3 but Wilson doesn't run the sneak play. His TD runs have almost all been longer than 10 yards.

Last edited:

Good group

I'm not sure that McMahon was really any good as NFL starting QBs go. Take him away from that Bears Defense and he's done nothing. I can't agree with Vinny or Bobby.

McMahon had the "intangibles". Hebert had a 4-5 year period after the USFL folded where he was considered among the top 5 or 10 quarterbacks in the NFL. Testaverde had LONGEVITY, although he never quite lived up to all the hype when he came out of college.
Bernie Kosar was considered one of the premier quarterbacks in the late-80s.

I am referring to overall QUANTITY of really good quarterbacks in the 80s and 90s. There just weren't too many "crappy" starting quarterbacks in the NFL back then.

Hardly any "fringe" starting quarterbacks like Mark Sanchez, Matt Cassel, Kevin Kolb, Chad Henne, Blaine Gabbert, Josh Freeman, etc., and hardly any rookie quarterbacks started back then (except for Elway and Kosar and maybe a couple of others).

Granted this year's class of rookie QB's has been as good or better than all that came before, but the league is also much more offensively minded, and passing oriented, than it was 10 or 20 years ago. That's why offensive records are being broken almost every year as of late.

Brady and Brees both broke the passing yards record last year, when many thought it might never be passed 10 years ago. Matthew Stafford was one long pass away from also breaking it.

Granted this year's class of rookie QB's has been as good or better than all that came before, but the league is also much more offensively minded, and passing oriented, than it was 10 or 20 years ago. That's why offensive records are being broken almost every year as of late.

Brady and Brees both broke the passing yards record last year, when many thought it might never be passed 10 years ago. Matthew Stafford was one long pass away from also breaking it.

It is different now. RG3 and Wilson will never break attempts and completions records...Luck might. To them those records are stupid and only a waste of time doing what is important..scoring

Wilson and the Seahawks got an unbelievable 11 for thirteen 3rd down conversions against the mighty 9ers last week. One of them was Matt Flynn kneeling on a third down running out the clock at the end of the game.

Last edited:
The biggest problem with Wilson and RGIII is that they're more than likely going to have to become more comfortable with pocket passing, or face the consequences of regularly getting bopped by linemen and line backers while wearing less padding.

They're good now, but it probably won't last forever. The best QB's in the end are masters of working in the pocket.

Brady, Eli and Payton ...

Step aside.. The new golden age of QBs is dawning.

Every QB record is on the table for these three to take.
I gotta' admit this IS pretty exciting. Just like when Bonds, Sosa and McGuire were hitting all those home runs in baseball! :D

I agree, it is a different world today, they started changing rules in 2002 and it is getting easier and easier to pass and catch, the QB's and WR are more protected. Cam Newton shattered rookie records last year and they are going down this year. The more protection, the higher work on QB's throwing out of the pocket the better the numbers will get. Look at Manning, Brees, and Brady, they work a system and coaches are starting to find QB's that fit that system.

Ended almost a decade ago? Bwuh? You do know it's 2012, right?

Jim Everette?

Chris.

Ended almost a decade ago? Bwuh? You do know it's 2012, right?

Jim Everette?

Chris.

Saw Chris in an elevator in Ft Lauderdale once.. She looked like she could have been a halfback. A cute halfback.

Forum List

Back