Zone1 The Netherlands Prime Minister Apologizes For It's Role in U.S. Slavery

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
Alexa showed me this story while I was waiting on one of my reports to run so I had her open it up and listened to it and was really impressed because it was a thorough apology, not one of those "sorry, not sorry" sarcastic apologies.

The United States has yet to step up, probably afraid that if they apologize that will make them liable for the R word.

Dutch prime minister apologizes for the Netherlands' role in the slave trade | CNN

“For centuries under Dutch state authority, human dignity was violated in the most horrific way possible,” Rutte said during a speech at the country’s National Archives in The Hague.
“And successive Dutch governments after 1863 failed to adequately see and acknowledge that our slavery past continued to have negative effects and still does. For that I offer the apologies of the Dutch government,” the Dutch prime minister said.

Rutte also spoke briefly in English on Monday, saying: “Today, I apologize.”
“For centuries, the Dutch state and its representatives facilitated, stimulated, preserved, and profited from slavery. For centuries, in the name of the Dutch State, human beings were made into commodities, exploited, and abused,” Rutte said.
He said that slavery must be condemned as “crime against humanity.”
Rutte acknowledged that he had experienced a personal “change in thinking” and said that he was wrong to have thought that the Netherlands’ role in slavery was “a thing of the past.”
“It is true that no one alive now is personally to blame for slavery. But it is also true that the Dutch State, in all its manifestations through history, bears responsibility for the terrible suffering inflicted on enslaved people and their descendants,” he said.
Continued at the link above...

The United States has yet to step up, probably afraid that if they apologize that will make them liable for the R word.
Have you ever read Lincoln's second inaugural address? You should pull it up and read it. As for abject apologies, a couple of hundred thousand men died removing slavery from America. Another similar number who died "defending" it, never owned nor benefited from slavery in any way. I'd say America has a damned near pristine record on this issue and the irony of that is the modern Democrat party, is weaving a narrative of hate and guilt that will eventually destroy ALL of the racial progress we've managed to create up until now. They REALLY need to be careful what they wish for.

I'm still waiting for Egypt to apologize for their part in the slavery of my people.

slavery-ancient-egypt-exodus-israelite-1595x900.jpg

Alexa showed me this story while I was waiting on one of my reports to run so I had her open it up and listened to it and was really impressed because it was a thorough apology, not one of those "sorry, not sorry" sarcastic apologies.

Dutch prime minister apologizes for the Netherlands' role in the slave trade | CNN

“For centuries under Dutch state authority, human dignity was violated in the most horrific way possible,” Rutte said during a speech at the country’s National Archives in The Hague.
“And successive Dutch governments after 1863 failed to adequately see and acknowledge that our slavery past continued to have negative effects and still does. For that I offer the apologies of the Dutch government,” the Dutch prime minister said.

“For centuries, the Dutch state and its representatives facilitated, stimulated, preserved, and profited from slavery. For centuries, in the name of the Dutch State, human beings were made into commodities, exploited, and abused,” Rutte said.
Rutte acknowledged that he had experienced a personal “change in thinking” and said that he was wrong to have thought that the Netherlands’ role in slavery was “a thing of the past.”
“It is true that no one alive now is personally to blame for slavery. But it is also true that the Dutch State, in all its manifestations through history, bears responsibility for the terrible suffering inflicted on enslaved people and their descendants,” he said.
Who gives a fuck . It was hundreds of years ago.. let it go man.

I don't see how, reparations for whom? I am pretty sure everyone that was enslaved, or their immediate descendants, are probably dead now.

OTH? It is the proper thing to do if the government issued a formal apology. It is a national tragedy that when the Resolution was introduced, it stalled in committee?

I suppose something that is a no brainer, should not surprise me, considering now, what I see in this discussion forum.

H.Res.194 - Apologizing for the enslavement and racial segregation of African-Americans.​

110th Congress (2007-2008)​

Obama could have apologized for slavery, but then? How easy would that be? This is one guy doing it for political points, it is just the leader of the Netherlands, so I am not really sure if it means anything at all. It is just a political move that advances this guy's personal career, and that of his party. It does not mean that nation is any more progressive or advanced than the US.

I would hope that they could get their entire nation to do a resolution, but sometimes politics is fickle. I would be more impressed if the legislative body in the Netherlands had apologized for their role, as well as the Dutch royalty. It would be nice, if, along with the apology, they actually taught their children, what really happened.

I have seen meta-data that the US is the least bigoted nation on the planet. IMO? US children have a better grasp of what occurred during the slave trade than European children will ever know, and those nations started this whole mess.

1671529711522.png

I noted, CNN was just cribbing off of Reuters;

They should be ....will they take defective outdated farm equipment back?

Should the Democratic Party apologize for its racial segregation Jim Crow laws?
Should Joe Biden apologize for saying that he would not send his children to a desegregated school because it would be like a 'racial jungle'?
Should all of Joe Biden's supporters also apologize?

Look white folks, stop pretending that everything ended after slavery. Jim Crow came after slavery, that was another hundred years up until 1965 overtly. After reading the racist garbage in here, it is certainly obvious that blacks still get the short end now. And there's proof, so once again I am going to show the results of a study that shows just how much blacks have lost due to racism by whites...

IN THIS CENTURY

Citygroup did a study focusing on U.S. GDP from 2000 until 2020. The study determined that since the year 2000, continuing discriminatory practices in the four areas mentioned in the prior sentence resulted in a loss of 16 trillion dollars in GDP.

The breakdown is as follows:

“Closing the Black racial wage gap 20 years ago might have provided an additional $2.7 trillion in income available for consumption and investment.

Improving access to housing credit might have added an additional 770,000 Black homeowners over the last 20 years, with combined sales and expenditures adding another $218 billion to GDP over that time.

Facilitating increased access to higher education (college, graduate, and vocational schools) for Black students might have bolstered lifetime incomes that in aggregate sums to $90 to $113 billion.

Providing fair and equitable lending to Black entrepreneurs might have resulted in the creation of an additional $13 trillion in business revenue over the last 20 years. This could have been used for investments in labor, technology, capital equipment, and structures and 6.1 million jobs might have been created per year.”

Look white folks, stop pretending that everything ended after slavery. Jim Crow came after slavery, that was another hundred years up until 1965 overtly. After reading the racist garbage in here, it is certainly obvious that blacks still get the short end now. And there's proof, so once again I am going to show the results of a study that shows just how much blacks have lost due to racism by whites...

IN THIS CENTURY

Citygroup did a study focusing on U.S. GDP from 2000 until 2020. The study determined that since the year 2000, continuing discriminatory practices in the four areas mentioned in the prior sentence resulted in a loss of 16 trillion dollars in GDP.

The breakdown is as follows:

“Closing the Black racial wage gap 20 years ago might have provided an additional $2.7 trillion in income available for consumption and investment.

Improving access to housing credit might have added an additional 770,000 Black homeowners over the last 20 years, with combined sales and expenditures adding another $218 billion to GDP over that time.

Facilitating increased access to higher education (college, graduate, and vocational schools) for Black students might have bolstered lifetime incomes that in aggregate sums to $90 to $113 billion.

Providing fair and equitable lending to Black entrepreneurs might have resulted in the creation of an additional $13 trillion in business revenue over the last 20 years. This could have been used for investments in labor, technology, capital equipment, and structures and 6.1 million jobs might have been created per year.”
Correct.

Jim Crow, black codes; segregation lasted well into the 70s.

And the racist right continues to lie about and ignore the fact that the consequences of slavery, Jim Crow, black codes, and segregation remain in effect to this day.

• Fact
Reactions: IM2
Poor Americans are poor for a variety of reasons, none of which has to do with skin color. Lack of strong adult role models, early physical and sexual abuse, lack of education, involvement with drugs and crime are common reasons why BOTH white people and black people end up poor. It has NOTHING to do with the Systemic Racism of the past that ended over 2 generations ago. Happy Holidays to IM2 and Clayton!

Forum List

Back