The Need for Non-Concensus Voices in Climate Science

Discussion in 'Environment' started by IanC, Sep 2, 2010.

1. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,448
    As a newcomer to the AGW wars I have found it very confusing that the pro AGW side always seems to fall back on the excuse that anyone that disagrees should be ignored because of 'consensus' and lack of 'peer review'. I have always thought that ideas should stand on their own merits, open to debate.

While bouncing around from one site to another I have seen many instances of 'settled science' that haven't passed the sniff test. From massive weightings given to anomalous tree rings, to grafting of one type of data to a different type, to correlation equals causation problems, to publication bias, to unrepeatable methodologies, etc....

here are two links that show how non-peer reviewed and non-climate scientists can and do help the understanding of climate change

DailyTech - New Scandal Erupts over NOAA Climate Data

DailyTech - Blogger Finds Y2K Bug in NASA Climate Data

Climate science is too insulated. They could especially use more input from the statistical scientists.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  2. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,760
    IanC,

I am beginning to think of climatology as the modern version of eugenics. They look the same and more importantly they smell the same....bad.

3. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,448
    not eugenics, equalitarianism. the default position is that everyone should be the same except that there is some evil human interference (racism) that is causing disparate outcomes. as with global warming and CO2, racism is a legitimate factor but only a fraction of the overall reasons for the unwelcome differences.