The Most Powerful Branch...

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Slashsnake, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Slashsnake

Slashsnake VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    See, this is what you don't get. The Supreme Court can't declare shit. There's no law that says the Supreme Court is the final arbiter. Just because they call themselves the final the final arbiter, doesn't make it true... Justice rulings can be overruled by Congress, in which then Congress can prevent the Supreme Court from ruling on the matter.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. AVISSSER

AVISSSER VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    Not to deflect from the OP but I think the court is a huge issue and the American people do not recognize it. They view the court as this apolitical entity. That is hardly the case at all. If the American public put half as much energy into who was selected for the court as they do with the trifling minutia of the other branches (I did not inhale/Grab her by the pussy) then we may be a little better off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AVISSSER

AVISSSER VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    When was the last time this happened? True power, is power projected.

4. Slashsnake

Slashsnake VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    But it is still allowed to happen.

Congress is the Supreme Court's boss... They hire and fire judges, have the power to overrule them, subpoena them, and can strip the judicial branch from carrying out their power.

On the flip side, judges cannot even have a Congressmen arrested for committing murder if they're on their way to a Congressional hearing, nor can they fire a Congressmen, or ultimately create law limiting what the Legislative branch can do.

5. AVISSSER

AVISSSER VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    That's all well and good but the OP was "The Most Powerful Branch".
    As I stated...true power..is power projected. As far as congress is concerned...they might be able to do a lot...but they are not projecting it. Right now...the court runs the show because they have declared themselves the final arbiter and the other two branches have been complicit lap dogs in the proceedings.
    So..once again...
    When was the last time this happened? Exactly.

6. Slashsnake

Slashsnake VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I'm not talking about currently, my OP was talking about the entire picture.

7. Humorme

Humorme Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +154
    In your life time how many U.S. Supreme Court Justices got fired?

Even Roger Taney, the Chief Justice who wrote the most unpopular court ruling in American history in Dred Scott v Sanford, wherein blacks could not be citizens was never ousted from office.

And again, in practice, NOT theory, the United States Supreme Court has granted to Congress powers that Congress was never given. What kinds of jobs do you know of wherein the employees grant their boss a power they didn't have before?

8. Humorme

Humorme Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +154
    The Supreme Court claimed that power in 1803 (see Marbury v Madison.) To date, even Jesus himself has not challenged the United States Supreme Court. BTW, that is first year law school (required knowledge of every person that even considers working in the law.)

9. Liquid Reigns

Liquid Reigns VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Why would Taney have been ousted when he was ruling on what the law was? Now, why do you think Congress took his ruling and then came up with the 1866 Civil Rights Act, which then nullified his, of the time correct, ruling?

Congress has not been granted powers never given by SCOTUS, I strongly suggest you learn how to read the Federalist Papers to make light of your utter ignorance.

10. Liquid Reigns

Liquid Reigns VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Judicial Review predates the Constitution, as it was part of English Law. Again, I strongly suggest you learn how to read the Federalist Papers, specifically Federalist #78.