the moon

manu1959 said:
anyone know the prevailing theory?

anyone know the theory before that?
The prevailing theory is that the moon was formed when Earth collided with a planetoid about the size of mars. This theory accounts for the absence of certain minerals and other elements on the moon that should be there if the moon had been formed by gravitational force, which was the older theory.

The older theory was that the moon was formed after the Earth during the dusty, primordial stage when the solar system was forming. The gravity created by the young Earth forced the remaining particles surrounding it into the moon. This theory was flawed for some reason. I don't know what it was and I don't feel like looking it up right now.

I do know that the guy who came up with the current planetoid collision theory died a couple of days ago. Is that why you are bringing this up?

Hagbard Celine said:
The prevailing theory is that the moon was formed when Earth collided with a planetoid about the size of mars. This theory accounts for the absence of certain minerals and other elements on the moon that should be there if the moon had been formed by gravitational force, which was the older theory.

The older theory was that the moon was formed after the Earth during the dusty, primordial stage when the solar system was forming. The gravity created by the young Earth forced the remaining particles surrounding it into the moon. This theory was flawed for some reason. I don't know what it was and I don't feel like looking it up right now.

I do know that the guy who came up with the current planetoid collision theory died a couple of days ago. Is that why you are bringing this up?

alastair cameron.....yes just read his obit....wrote one of my papers on the moon's creation

The Moon could not have been made at the same time as, or spun off from the Earth. Otherwise it would orbit in the equitorial plane of the earth which it does not.

Also the soil chemistry is vastly different. The Moon has greater abundance of Potassium, Calcium and Magnesium than Earth. The compositions are just too different.

I say the Moon is the kernal of a planet which once occupied where the asteroid belt is now. It was struck by a wandering gas giant drawn into the pull of the sun some 4.7 billion years ago.

This explains why so many lunar rocks and meteorites date back 4.7 billion years. I say they underwent melting and solidification from a single solar system wide catastrophe. I believe our solar system is older than 5 billion years contrary to popular belief, because I have read that at least one rock from the moon confounds science with an age of 5.3 billion years.

I say the molten kernal of this planet where the asteroid belt exists now, was struck a mortal blow which shattered off it's outer layers. It's kernal decelerated into a lower orbit and was captured by the Earth.

I also say the comets of the Kupier belt are remanants of the gas giant which I say also decelerated after the prehistoric collision.

You will not read my theory anywhere else because it is unique to me.

Verification of my theory will come if the composition of the asteroids matches that of the Moon.

Forum List

Back