The mind works in mysterious ways

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by midcan5, Mar 16, 2011.

1. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,286
    An interesting piece which touches on the reality of racism that Americans ignore or avoid or pretend does not exist.

'The mind works in mysterious ways: unconscious race bias & Obama'

"...while there is little difference between conservatives’ explicit and unconscious racial biases (both being relatively high), liberals have relatively high unconscious—but low explicit—anti-black biases...."

By Gregory S. Parks & Matthew W. Hughey

"For over the past quarter century, psychologists have found that people make automatic associations between black and white racial categories, and negative and positive words, respectively. Even where individuals appear to harbor explicit, racially egalitarian attitudes, their unconscious racial attitudes may be wholly inconsistent. Numerous studies find that anywhere from 75-90% of whites, roughly 65% of Asian and Latino/a Americans, and from 35-65% of blacks harbor these automatic, unconscious, pro-white/anti-black biases. Not only do college first-year students—the typical participants of university-based psychological studies—harbor these biases; studies show that judges, lawyers, physicians, black professionals, and a broad swath of the American public hold these biases as well. These biases are important because the influence judgment, decision-making, and behavior." OUPblog » Blog Archive » The mind works in mysterious ways: unconscious race bias & Obama

"We all decry prejudice, yet are all prejudiced." Herbert Spencer

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Yet there's no evidence that negative associations with blacks are necessarily wrong. If you see a group of blacks coming at you on the street late at night, your "unconscious bias" might just save your white ass.

The more we understand about evolution, the more we come to see "racism" as a fiercely adaptive trait. The racists survive, the marshmallows die off.

3. MalcolmPNewton

MalcolmPNewton Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Your understanding of evolution appears to be more along it's social application than it's biological implications, which are more pertinent than anything else considering that Darwin was a biologist. How can we take a biolgist as an expert on sociology? His training does not address social issues, and thus he cannot be taken to be an expert on social issues. While Darwin's theory may explain why your ancestors, who were originally black, became white, it does not explain why your ancestors have practiced such an aggressive diplomatic philosophy against the world's non-white people. Your ideology is pseudo-scientific at best, and cannot be shown to be scientifically valid in any way, shape, or form. Unless of course, you can prove otherwise.

4. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,676
    We elected a President in 2008 based on his skin color alone. Maybe this time we won't do that.

5. MalcolmPNewton

MalcolmPNewton Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    So President Obama won the election because whites, who are the overwhelming majority, voted for a candidate just because he was black? Why?

6. Mad Scientist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,676
    So, me staying out of a Black neighborhood at night because I don't wanna' be killed is "pseudo-scientific at best, and cannot be shown to be scientifically valid in any way, shape, or form" eh?

Idiots who deny their basic self preservation instincts (like you) are bound to die out just as William Joyce says.

7. MalcolmPNewton

MalcolmPNewton Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    No, you staying out of a black neighborhood at night because you "don't wanna' be killed" is karma. Especially when you consider all the blacks throughout America's history that had the exact same fear concerning being caught in a white neighborhood after dark. Oh the irony!!!

8. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    You're tellin' us a lot of the 'liberals' are closet racists?

We already knew that...

9. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    there is more to understanding evolution than Darwin

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sociobiology-New-Synthesis-Twenty-Fifth-Anniversary/dp/0674002350]Amazon.com: Sociobiology: The New Synthesis, Twenty-Fifth Anniversary Edition (9780674002357): Edward O. Wilson: Books[/ame]

Evolutionary Psychology

10. Mad Scientist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,676
    Liberal White Guilt. "Oh I'll show Blacks that I like them by voting for this Black guy, then they'll all know I'm not a racist! Oh I'm sooooo sorry for slavery that happened 150 years ago even though all the people involved in that are all dead now."

I never owned slaves. No one I know ever was a slave. I have no guilt about it AND I don't let it color (pun intended) my reasoning.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1