The media's visceral need for negativity

FA_Q2

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2009
Washington State
While watching the news at the gym today I was really taken aback at the framing of recent statements between Hillary and Sanders.

Is Bernie Sanders taking the low road? - CNN.com

It is interesting to me because it seems to me that the media itself is salivating to get some negative coverage between the two and absent them giving them some they simply make the shit up. There is nothing 'low,' attack or 'negative' in what was stated. Those are real issues this campaign season. Taking money from wall street is a real issue. Voting for Iraq is an issue. Stating that you have no idea how you are going to address a CENTRAL campaign platform is a huge issue. These are not what I would characterize as going negative at all. Examples of that are clear everywhere else:

The media is deliberately framing this in a dishonest manner and people eat this shit up. It is disheartening.

While watching the news at the gym today I was really taken aback at the framing of recent statements between Hillary and Sanders.

It is interesting to me because it seems to me that the media itself is salivating to get some negative coverage between the two and absent them giving them some they simply make the shit up. There is nothing 'low,' attack or 'negative' in what was stated. Those are real issues this campaign season. Taking money from wall street is a real issue. Voting for Iraq is an issue. Stating that you have no idea how you are going to address a CENTRAL campaign platform is a huge issue. These are not what I would characterize as going negative at all. Examples of that are clear everywhere else:

The media is deliberately framing this in a dishonest manner and people eat this shit up. It is disheartening.

Your observation is spot on, but sadly it's nothing new. It's because we don't have journalism, we have commercial journalism, and that's a contradiction in terms. Since their objective is not to report the news but to draw ratings so they can sell us shit we don't need, they're going to pander to whatever base instincts sell, which usually means negativity, drama, disaster, scandal, and general fear and loathing. It helps nobody and informs nothing, but it $ells. That's the price we pay for commercial media.

It is getting worse than ever though. When I saw CNN running what was supposed to be a Presidential debate with roaring raucous crowds I thought I had accidentally tuned into a freaking game show. They have no respect whatsoever for journalism. They are completely unprincipled whores.

However as long as the masses keep tuning in and fail to stand up as one and say "this is bullshit", they'll keep right on doing it. I'm not even sure the Unwashed are capable of that.

Shouldn't this be a "Media" thread though?

Your observation is spot on, but sadly it's nothing new. It's because we don't have journalism, we have commercial journalism, and that's a contradiction in terms. Since their objective is not to report the news but to draw ratings so they can sell us shit we don't need, they're going to pander to whatever base instincts sell, which usually means negativity, drama, disaster, scandal, and general fear and loathing. It helps nobody and informs nothing, but it $ells. That's the price we pay for commercial media.

It is getting worse than ever though. When I saw CNN running what was supposed to be a Presidential debate with roaring raucous crowds I thought I had accidentally tuned into a freaking game show. They have no respect whatsoever for journalism. They are completely unprincipled whores.

However as long as the masses keep tuning in and fail to stand up as one and say "this is bullshit", they'll keep right on doing it. I'm not even sure the Unwashed are capable of that.

Possibly but I am specifically targeting the media's portrayal of politics. If a MOD wishes to move it there I understand.

What is suprising me is that so many are simply buying what is an outright lie here that is not a matter of hackery. I have accepted that the masses openly and willingly buy the lies that politicians sell that agrees with their particular political bend but in this case this is not a matter of 'team,' dem or republican. I do not see why this portrayal is being universally accepted when, IMHO, it is blatantly false.

Possibly but I am specifically targeting the media's portrayal of politics. If a MOD wishes to move it there I understand.

What is suprising me is that so many are simply buying what is an outright lie here that is not a matter of hackery. I have accepted that the masses openly and willingly buy the lies that politicians sell that agrees with their particular political bend but in this case this is not a matter of 'team,' dem or republican. I do not see why this portrayal is being universally accepted when, IMHO, it is blatantly false.

It isn't at all specific to politics though -- this is a function of commercial media, whatever the topic.

I fired my TV a long time ago but what's on the Weather Channel right now? Possibly it's some drama about the polar vortex, but on a normal day where strikingly unusual weather isn't going on what are they doing -- the weather? Hell no, it's prime time, and they're doing a documentary on how a meteor hitting the earth during the magnetic reversal of the poles while there's a hurricane going on will rip your eyes out of their sockets and drop them on Mars, or how the McJerkoff Family survived a tornado. They're doing soap opera. Television is just not honest, and when it's driven by commercial interests, it can't be.

A rational, dry comparison of how candidate A compares to candidate B on an actual issue, they hate that. It doesn't sell. That's why Bill Buckley had to do his Firing Line show on PBS. Not enough drama to drive commercials.

Its all about the dollar...that's america. Don't expect good discussion in this nation.

Its all about the dollar...that's america. Don't expect good discussion in this nation.
That is a scape goat. The dollar follows those that watch and purchase the product.

People WANT this garbage - they consume it above all else. I don't expect good discussion anymore not because the dollar but because the people actively avoid it.

Forum List

Back