The media the presidents and GAS PRICES.

bigrebnc1775

][][][% NC Sheepdog
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 12, 2010
Kannapolis, N.C.
BMI found that in the 2008 period there were more than 4 times as many gas prices stories, news briefs or news headlines on ABC, CBS and NBC as there were in 2012 (97 to 21).

Dismal broadcast network reports about “skyrocketing” gas prices filled the newscasts in 2008. There were reports about businesses closing, airlines struggling and truckers protesting all because of the high prices. One ABC report said families were facing the “tough choice” between food or fuel. Others said that “wallets were running on empty” and consumers were told over and over that there was no relief in sight. But by the end of November 2008, prices had collapsed to $1.82.

Rising gas prices used to be big news, but not so these days. Although the national average climbed to $3.56 on Feb. 20, setting a February record after going up nearly a month straight, there was far less coverage than in 2008. Broadcast networks repeatedly covered the rise under the Bush presidency. Gas prices bounced around eventually reaching $3.56-a-gallon on April 24, 2008.
Networks Hype Rising Gas Prices 4 Times More for Bush, Than Obama | Media Research Center

The GOP succeeded in telling us that the President had little to do with the price of gasoline. So what applied to Bush, applies to Obama. Plus, we were not exporting gasoline by the tanker load in 2008 as we are today. Refined petroleum products, gasoline and diesel, are our top export now.

When we are exporting gasoline, hard to state that there is too little drilling here. Hard to say that we have too little refinery capacity. What you are seeing is high demand for a product worldwide.

The GOP succeeded in telling us that the President had little to do with the price of gasoline. So what applied to Bush, applies to Obama. Plus, we were not exporting gasoline by the tanker load in 2008 as we are today. Refined petroleum products, gasoline and diesel, are our top export now.

When we are exporting gasoline, hard to state that there is too little drilling here. Hard to say that we have too little refinery capacity. What you are seeing is high demand for a product worldwide.

There's a big difference this time it's called printing to many dollars which in turn devalued the dollar. That's what obama did. He owns these gas prices.

LOL. Oh well, keep yapping on. You might even convince yourself.

A devalued dollar makes oil prices higher. Why is that you ask? because oil transactions are completed with the DOLLAR. The less the dollar is worth the less oil can be bought. Printing more dollars which obama has ordered done has devalued the dollar.

Don't forget all the oil documentaries stirring up fear.

Oil Storm

Oil Crash

Peak Oil

Crude Awakenings

If The Oil Runs Out

Oil Smoke & Mirrors

ETC.

Obama’s approval rating sinks ans gas prices rise: Media still not reporting high gas prices is Obama policy.

The Last Tradition: Obama’s approval rating sinks ans gas prices rise: Media still not reporting high gas prices is Obama policy.

Hardly.

Gas prices have yet to reach what I was paying in 2008. They're high don't get me wrong, but they were higher in 2008.

In the next week, they should go over $4.00 a gallon and then the news stories will be everywhere.

ETA: also, I never saw gas prices drop below $2 after the last time this happened. I realize That's a national average.

Last edited:
Obama’s approval rating sinks ans gas prices rise: Media still not reporting high gas prices is Obama policy.

The Last Tradition: Obama’s approval rating sinks ans gas prices rise: Media still not reporting high gas prices is Obama policy.

Hardly.

Gas prices have yet to reach what I was paying in 2008. They're high don't get me wrong, but they were higher in 2008.

In the next week, they should go over $4.00 a gallon and then the news stories will be everywhere.

ETA: also, I never saw gas prices drop below $2 after the last time this happened. I realize That's a national average.

Hardly ? Bullshit

Media bias is an interesting subject, but the bias MRC demonstrates most immediately is its own. It's hard to call them dishonest though-- they don't pretend to offer analysis but instead proudly proclaim that their goal is to fight what they presume to be liberal media bias.

The study (if we are so generous as to term it that) seems to have consisted largely of counting the number of stories about gas prices during two time periods and comparing the numbers. There are a few problems with this methodology (what little of it is revealed):

- The author chose two different times of year to compare, calling into question selection bias.

- The author made no attempt to impose a seasonal correction on gas prices.

- As the author alluded to obliquely with a reference to "fluctuations", gas prices increased much more in the 2008 time period than in the 2012 time period. In fact, the increase was 9% in the first time period and 5% in the second.

- The author noted that the final gas price was the same in the two time periods but failed to correct for the substantial inflation that occurred in the intervening years.

- The author failed to note that during the second time period a major news event (a contested primary) was drowning out media coverage of other stories, and no corresponding event occurred in the first time period.

- The author complained that stories in the first time period tended (unsurprisingly) to focus on places with unusually high gas prices while failing to note that this was true in the second time period as well.

- The author complained that gas price stories tended to be tied into the economic recovery rather than presented as stand-alone stories. Given the differences in the overall economic situations, I find this unsurprising.

- The author complained that some facts she found relevant sometimes went unmentioned (that gasoline is taxed) and others she deemed irrelevant were (that an attack on Iran would increase gas prices).

So, we saw more news stories in one of two non-representative time periods than another when many things were different. In particular, gas prices increased almost twice as much in one of the time periods than the other. Is this evidence of media bias.

Note that I'm not saying the media is free of bias, only that this study presents scant evidence and appears intended to manipulate rather than inform.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back