The McLaughlin Group

IsaacNewton

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2015
Anyone watch this show currently? It's been around forever. I remember watching this in the early 80s and thinking then, 'this guy is old and won't last much longer'. Now it's almost 35 years later and it's the same guy, the same show, the same format. It is really a tv timecapsule as anyone that is old enough to remember it knows.

John McLaughlin seemed like and still is just this angry never-smiling old-angry-guy. Yet, it is still entertaining.

SNL did a good running send-up on this show 15-20 years ago.

I used to watch it in the 80's. I figured John was probably dead or at least too old to work. I disagree though that he was angry. That was just his demeanor. I can remember Chris Matthews being an occasional guest before he fell in love with Obama. Pat Buchanan was a regular along with Fred Barnes. Good show, one of the few political shows before 24 hour news networks came along on cable.

I used to watch it in the 80's. I figured John was probably dead or at least too old to work. I disagree though that he was angry. That was just his demeanor. I can remember Chris Matthews being an occasional guest before he fell in love with Obama. Pat Buchanan was a regular along with Fred Barnes. Good show, one of the few political shows before 24 hour news networks came along on cable.

Oh I agree he isn't really angry, but he certainly carries that demeanor to its limits! lol

Buchanan and Eleanor Swift are still regulars. I watched it today. I just can't believe its still on and hasn't changed.

Oh I agree he isn't really angry, but he certainly carries that demeanor to its limits! lol

Buchanan and Eleanor Swift are still regulars. I watched it today. I just can't believe its still on and hasn't changed.
Jack Germond died a few years ago. I disagreed with him but he was a likable guy.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/15/u...al-reporter-of-the-old-school-dies-at-85.html

Jack Germond died a few years ago. I disagreed with him but he was a likable guy.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/15/u...al-reporter-of-the-old-school-dies-at-85.html

Oh yeah, forgot about this guy. You are right, he was quite amenable.

Funny story you'll appreciate. Back in the early 90's when I used to listen to Rush, Fred Barnes was the guest host and a caller asked "Don't you just want to reach over and punch Jack Germond's heart out"? Fred answered "No, Jack's actually a very nice guy, he gave me my first job at the Baltimore Sun, even though we disagreed on a lot of things".
Then the guy said "Well, what about Morton Kondracke, wouldn't you like to punch his heart out, sometimes"? Fred answered "No, Morton is a really nice guy too, we have lunch together often and he really has a lot to offer to the conversations".
Then the guy said "Ok, what about Eleanor Clift, doesn't she make you mad as hell sometimes"? Fred said "No, actually Eleanor is a really sweet lady and I like her a lot". The guy finally just gave up. Just couldn't seem to get any traction. lol

Funny story you'll appreciate. Back in the early 90's when I used to listen to Rush, Fred Barnes was the guest host and a caller asked "Don't you just want to reach over and punch Jack Germond's heart out"? Fred answered "No, Jack's actually a very nice guy, he gave me my first job at the Baltimore Sun, even though we disagreed on a lot of things".
Then the guy said "Well, what about Morton Kondracke, wouldn't you like to punch his heart out, sometimes"? Fred answered "No, Morton is a really nice guy too, we have lunch together often and he really has a lot to offer to the conversations".
Then the guy said "Ok, what about Eleanor Clift, doesn't she make you mad as hell sometimes"? Fred said "No, actually Eleanor is a really sweet lady and I like her a lot". The guy finally just gave up. Just couldn't seem to get any traction. lol

I think almost all of these commentators that 'appear' on opposite sides are good friends in real life. Like normal people. I have friends that are rabid conservatives but we go to concerts and dinner all the time.

I think almost all of these commentators that 'appear' on opposite sides are good friends in real life. Like normal people. I have friends that are rabid conservatives but we go to concerts and dinner all the time.
My best friend is a black guy who voted for Obama twice. We get together every couple of weeks and drink beer out in his garage and talk about whatever. We get in some arguments but still best friends. If either one of us gets in a bind or our car breaks down we both know the other one will come and help. And that's how it should be.

Anyone watch this show currently? It's been around forever. I remember watching this in the early 80s and thinking then, 'this guy is old and won't last much longer'. Now it's almost 35 years later and it's the same guy, the same show, the same format. It is really a tv timecapsule as anyone that is old enough to remember it knows.

John McLaughlin seemed like and still is just this angry never-smiling old-angry-guy. Yet, it is still entertaining.

SNL did a good running send-up on this show 15-20 years ago.

My old man used to watch this when I was a kid. It was a bunch of old guys yelling at each other.

But they are rational asking rational questions. Unique in today's atmosphere.

I still never miss it! Been watching for over 30 years and can't believe John is still alive! Eleanor and Pat still hanging in there, but miss Novak even though barred long before he died! ;-/

I still never miss it! Been watching for over 30 years and can't believe John is still alive! Eleanor and Pat still hanging in there, but miss Novak even though barred long before he died! ;-/

I hadn't seen this show in 20 years and thought it went off the air long ago. It is the same show 35 years later. I mean it has not changed except for some of the faces. This started back in the day of Real People the tv show from the early 80s.

My best friend is a black guy who voted for Obama twice. We get together every couple of weeks and drink beer out in his garage and talk about whatever. We get in some arguments but still best friends. If either one of us gets in a bind or our car breaks down we both know the other one will come and help. And that's how it should be.
Not to derail the thread, but I too have a number of liberal friends. A couple old buddies I have known for over 40 years, are libs. We don't agree on much politically, but our friendship is much more important than politics. We did lose an old friend, a rabid con, who could not continue the friendship even though it had lasted for 30 years. To lose a friendship over politics, is terrible shame.

I hadn't seen this show in 20 years and thought it went off the air long ago. It is the same show 35 years later. I mean it has not changed except for some of the faces. This started back in the day of Real People the tv show from the early 80s.

I've been into political banter going back to the old days of CNN's "Crossfire!" I watch them all including "Washington Week, Journal Editorial Report on Fox, Face The Nations, Meet The Press, & State Of The Union!" I don't know why I do because they're always wrong! I still remember John and the rest of the McLauphlin regulars thought Cheney would be confirmed for Secretary of Defense in a couple weeks; wound up being that very night on a Friday almost 30 years ago! ;-/

Not to derail the thread, but I too have a number of liberal friends. A couple old buddies I have known for over 40 years, are libs. We don't agree on much politically, but our friendship is much more important than politics. We did lose an old friend, a rabid con, who could not continue the friendship even though it had lasted for 30 years. To lose a friendship over politics, is terrible shame.

I have a similar story with my old college room mate! I knew where he lived and had no idea he was a secret conservative due to his family; but it took almost 30 years to discover this right leanings! He actually voted and supported candidates that were against his personal interests since he was GAY! They hated his guts, but his allegiance was to Republicans! I was shocked and could have been knocked over by a feather since he's a Mensa member like my step-dad! There's no accounting for real intelligence I guess! ;-/

I have cousins that are like brother. We don't agree on politics much, so we don't talk about it. Simple as that.

I have cousins that are like brother. We don't agree on politics much, so we don't talk about it. Simple as that.

That's living in denial! I want to know the people I associate with and will condemn them if they aren't PC probably! I don't want to know bigots, homophobes, sexist or misogynist pigs, or the people who support or ignore those failings! ;-/

That's living in denial! I want to know the people I associate with and will condemn them if they aren't PC probably! I don't want to know bigots, homophobes, sexist or misogynist pigs, or the people who support or ignore those failings! ;-/

You do what you, as will I.

Forum List

Back