The kids of Syrian Kurdistan’s Kobani are back in town

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Let's hope that all the children who were displaced in this conflict get a chance to go back to school.

The kids of Syrian Kurdistan’s Kobani are back in town
Posted on July 12, 2015 by Editorial Staff in Kurdistan

The children of Kobani, happy to be back in their classrooms after months of being away Photo Mustefa Ebdi/i24news.tv

KOBANI, Syrian Kurdistan,— ‘I am so happy to be in school again,’ student says as children return to war-torn city previously held by IS.

In a classroom recently cleaned from rubble and garbage left by Islamic State militants, a young schoolgirl expressed her excitement at being able to sit at her desk again, “I am so happy to be in school again, with my pen and my book,” Alin Othaman, a nine year old girl from Kobani, told i24news. Her school is still pockmarked by bulletholes from the fighting, “we don’t have anything in our school, which was destroyed because of the war, but it’s ok. I am able to learn, to help me follow my dream of someday being an architect.”

Before the war, which turned Kobani into an international symbol of Kurdish resistance to the Islamic State, there were 45,000 inhabitants in the northern Syrian city. Alin is just one of many children in the war-torn city who have returned to the few remaining schools after fleeing intense fighting between Islamic State and Kurdish fighters, who after four months of control over the city left most of it in ruins.

Continue reading at:

The kids of Syrian Kurdistan s Kobani are back in town?

Forum List

Back