The Kamado Joe II

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2010
Fuck Y'all I'm From Texas!
Just ordered the Kamado Joe classic.

Kamado Joe Classic II 18" Review

kamado-joe-classic-ii.jpg

Anyone with any experience on these units?
From what I've read they are very impressive in their versatility,from being able to bake bread,sear at 750 degrees and long slow and low smokes with a remarkable efficiency when it comes to fuel.

Last edited:
Now, there is one I do know that is awesome according to several guys I know, and that is the Traeger.

Traeger Grills
Look up this guy, he volunteered with our relief group this year and did lots of cooking on his Traegar that was out of this world, after rescues. A couple of other guys got rid of their kamado after seeing and tasting the food he prepared with it.
Jamie Hough-“The Chef Redneck” (@thechefredneck) • Instagram photos and videos

All ready have this guy. Widely known as the best pellet smoker out there.
CZ5B3951.jpg

A little pricey at $2700.00 Bucks but the thing is amazing.
A true set it and forget it cooker.

Added this so I can be warned if anything goes wrong while I sleep through those long brisket cooks.

Mak-Accessories-Digital-RemoteBoss.jpg

It seems to me the 18” cooking area would be a big downfall with the Kamado Joe Classic II, if you like to cook a lot. For the way I cook, I know it would be.

It seems to me the 18” cooking area would be a big downfall with the Kamado Joe Classic II, if you like to cook a lot. For the way I cook, I know it would be.

You can fit a brisket and thats the largest thing I ever cook.
You can also purchase a second rack that doubles the cook space.
Mainly cook for the wife and I and a buddy or two so it should be fine.
I couldnt tell you the last time I cooked for a crowd.

And if by chance I have to in the future I have the Mac pellet smoker and the Pitts and Spitts.

hqdefault.jpg

Ya can damn near cook a whole cow on the thing.

Mainly bought it for the versatility and to be able to cook on charcoal again. I miss the taste that charcoal imparts on a hunk of meat but most charcoal grills are to limited on cook times and they're one dimensional. Then there's the clean up using a regular charcoal grill.
This things a breeze to clean. Just pull out the tray and dump it,when it gets a little nasty inside you crank it up to 700 for fifteen minutes,let it cool,and all the gunks brushes right off in to the ash pan.

Another cool thing about it is you load the thing up full with the lump charcoal and when you finish your cook you snuff out the fire,shake the Kick Ash basket which shakes loose the ash from the outside of the lump charcoal and you just fire it back up next time.

Guys have said they can go through 3 and 4 cooks and never add charcoal.

In that case, yes it sounds like it would work for you, and that clean up is a great plus.

When we use our smoker, we usually cook up enough for the whole family or friends coming over. I do like doing a couple of chickens or, just a cowboy steak from time to time.
Mainly bought it for the versatility and to be able to cook on charcoal again. I miss the taste that charcoal imparts on a hunk of meat but most charcoal grills are to limited on cook times and they're one dimensional. Then there's the clean up using a regular charcoal grill.
This things a breeze to clean. Just pull out the tray and dump it,when it gets a little nasty inside you crank it up to 700 for fifteen minutes,let it cool,and all the gunks brushes right off in to the ash pan.

Another cool thing about it is you load the thing up full with the lump charcoal and when you finish your cook you snuff out the fire,shake the Kick Ash basket which shakes loose the ash from the outside of the lump charcoal and you just fire it back up next time.

Guys have said they can go through 3 and 4 cooks and never add charcoal.

Used to cook for a bunch of people in my younger years.
Thats why I originally bought the Pitts and Spitts. You can easily smoke four briskets and a half dozen chickens.
Now days it's to big a pain in the ass to fire that big mofo up for a chicken and a rack of ribs.

Don't leave it out at night.

Why?
Thieves pop up at the strangest times.

I have well over $12,000 in smokers and grills in my backyard.
They're free to give it their best shot at removing them. None of em weigh less than 200 lbs and most weigh upwards of a 1000 and up to 2500 lbs.
Of course they'd have to do this in absolute silence since the dogs go nuts when a squirrel so much as shits on the patio. All I can say? Good luck.

Why?

They're free to give it their best shot at removing them. None of em weigh less than 200 lbs and most weigh upwards of a 1000 and up to 2500 lbs.
Of course they'd have to do this in absolute silence since the dogs go nuts when a squirrel so much as shits on the patio. All I can say? Good luck.
Look at you, all Stephen Raichlen.

Paper, foil, or naked Brisket?

Never tried the paper.

Why?

Look at you, all Stephen Raichlen.

Paper, foil, or naked Brisket?

Never tried the paper.

Pink Butcher paper all the way.
It breathes and doesnt fuck up your bark.
I've been BBQing for over 30 years and 4 of those where in competition.

.....oh,as far as seasoning for that brisket? Salt and pepper as any Texen would tell you.

Those 55 gal drum smokers are cool. As for seasoning, my rib eyes are salt only. Brisket, I toy with the dry rubs. I'll have to try the minimalist Texan approach.

Those 55 gal drum smokers are cool. As for seasoning, my rib eyes are salt only. Brisket, I toy with the dry rubs. I'll have to try the minimalist Texan approach.

Ditch the drum pit. They dont hold heat as they're too thin.
A 15 lb brisket will take at a minimum 15 hours. I've had some take over 24 hours. BBQ isnt done until it's done,or it jiggles like jello and the temp probe goes in like it's hot butter,time has nothing to do with it.
The internal temp needs to reach at least 195. But again,the temp means nothing as all briskets are different.
It's all about feel.
The best indicator is how easy the temp probe penetrates. It should go in with pretty much zero resistance.

Ditch the drum pit. They dont hold heat as they're too thin.
A 15 lb brisket will take at a minimum 15 hours. I've had some take over 24 hours. BBQ isnt done until it's done,or it jiggles like jello and the temp probe goes in like it's hot butter,time has nothing to do with it.
The internal temp needs to reach at least 195. But again,the temp means nothing as all briskets are different.
It's all about feel.
The best indicator is how easy the temp probe penetrates. It should go in with pretty much zero resistance.
I'm Beleiver in the pull test with Brisket. Got an old brinkman smoker, which limits weight.
The drum looks good for hooking ribs.

Forum List

Back