The GREATEST war crime

Discussion in 'Military' started by Yukon, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Yukon

Yukon BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99
    On 6th August 1945 a B29 bomber dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima It has been estimated that over the years around 200,000 people have died as a result of this bomb being dropped. This was always a controversial decision. General Dwight Eisenhower told President Harry S. Truman that he was opposed to the dropping of the atom bomb on Japan.

IKE said: " I voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives. It was my belief that Japan was, at that very moment, seeking some way to surrender with a minimum loss of face".

Winston Churchill also agreed that it was not necessary to drop the atom bomb on Japan. He later asserted: "It would be a mistake to suppose that the fate of Japan was settled by the atomic bomb. Her defeat was certain before the bomb fell."

Mainly historians have argued that the US used the atom bomb as a warning against the Soviet Union. It was not an attempt to end the war but to determine what happened after the war.

The dropping of the bomb was a terrible war crime, equal to the extermination of the Jews.

2. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    *yawn*

you've got sources for those quotes you made up i assume.
    :lol:

3. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,889
    The nips seem to have gotten over it just fine. Makes one wonder why this canuck douchebag gives a shit. :eusa_whistle:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    One does wonder about the SECOND bomb, of course.

As to the first bomb dropped?

I have no problems with that.

Had I known only what Truman knew at that time, I'd have ordered the mission, too.

5. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,889

I don't really wonder any more about the second bomb than I do the first. I'd be interested in why you do.

And also, I've read that some historians believe that not only would the alternative have cost thousands of American soldier's lives, but could have actually resulted in even more Japanese deaths than the bomb (assuming invasion was the alternative). An interesting topic for discussion for sure, but purely subjective and speculative. As for the OP's assertion that it was a war crime, total bullshit.

6. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,111
    yeah and it was those damn democrats that did it

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The projected loss in US lives alone to invade mainland Japan was estimated at a million.

Even if Eisenhower made the statement dickweed attributed to him, it's just proof of his ignorance in regard to the Japanese people. They would have died to the man protecting Hirohito.

The second bomb was dropped because Japan did not respond to a demand for surrender after the first one. They responded after the second one or there very well could have been more.

8. Article 15

Article 15 Dr. House slayer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    Fuckin' pussies.

9. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    It certainly was a crime to drop those bombs on the Japanese.

10. Kalam

Kalam Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +773
    Our own intelligence indicated that Japan was on the verge of capitulation before we atom bombed them. I'd think that conventional bombings of military targets would have been a less unnecessarily deadly method of placing the straw on the camel's back, but it's all history now, so what does it matter?