The good news thread

Esmeralda

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2013
Washington State
Insert any good news you'd like to share. Positive things only please: nothing negative about anyone. Nothing controversial or political.

"Truly a miracle": Family spots missing man in news photo - CBS News

missing.man.AP76191573417.jpg

Dog Adopts Paralyzed Cat

Everyone needs a friend like this. Back in October, Seminole County Animal Services in Florida found a 2-year-old Dachshund protecting a 7-month-old paraplegic kitten by a gated driveway.

The Doxie, later named Idgie, was guarding the cat, Ruth - barking and growling if someone came close. Ruth can only move by dragging herself with her front legs. "Both of them were found in fairly good shape, not filthy or malnourished, so it seems as though they probably had a home at some point," the shelter's Diane Gagliano told the Orlando Sentinel earlier this month.

But on the flip side, no one came and claimed them, and how could the cat get very far without the owner knowing?" The shelter had to set up a special pen to keep the two together, because Idgie was so unhappy when they were apart. Thankfully, they don't have to worry about being separated now. Jacqueline Borum, who runs Hollywood Houndz Boutique & Spa, adopted the duo and is keeping them at the business where "everyone can enjoy them and take care of them," she said. "They are so special!" Borum named the pair after the loyal friends in "Fried Green Tomatoes." The story was reported in the Sentinel earlier this month and has since gone viral. - Watch it from the Orlando Sentinel via YouTube and get updates on Idgie and Ruth from Project Paw

470_2747023.jpg

Dog Adopts Paralyzed Cat | Pets - Yahoo Shine

Thanks, too bad most would rather be negative.

Yes. If you come across a good story, please post it. Maybe we can get something started. Too much negative news getting all the attention.
To me, the reason why negative news get so much attention is because of how much of it that there is to say anything about. In order for good things to be talked about, those good things have to happen first.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. Whether or not the things are acknowledged or not, I wonder what is done more in this world, good things or bad things? I guess only the Lord can answer such a question since he is the only one who can see everything.

I think if mostly bad things were done in the world, it wouldn't be as wonderful as it is, and it is, in many places, at many times and at least half full, probably much more, of good, decent people. It's the minority of bad people and bad situations that gets so much attention.

Last edited:
Man finds lost envelope containing $40,000, returns it to owner | Local & Regional | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon

Man finds lost envelope containing $40,000, returns it to owner: CLACKAMAS, Ore. - A Portland woman will be able to buy the home she saved for thanks to the honesty of a stranger.

The woman asked not to be identified. On Friday, Jan. 10, she lost an envelope containing $2,000 in cash and a $38,000 cashier’s check. It was the down payment she needed for a house.

She dropped in in the parking lot of the Safeway at Southeast 122nd and Sunnyside Road in Clackamas.

Brian DiCarlo, a 23-year-old aspiring teacher, found the envelope on the wet ground.

“It wasn’t dirty, it wasn’t all wet. She must have just dropped it. I must have been moments behind her,” said DiCarlo.

The owner of the cash says she searched frantically when she realized she’d dropped the precious envelope.

“I was so stunned and so stressed, I swear I was going to have a heart attack or a stroke,” she told KATU.

When DiCarlo realized what he’d found he called police.

“I never really had the ‘I could keep this’ thought,” he said. “I think I do believe that at the time I was the exact person who needed to be there at that exact time to pick it up, because maybe someone else wouldn’t have done the same thing that I did.”

The owner is very thankful for DiCarlo’s honesty. She gave him $300 as a reward.

“Just to hear what it meant to her was enough reward for me to do it,” said DiCarlo.

He received a phone call from the grateful owner and a note.

“She was emotional and she was saying I would never know what this truly meant to her,” said DiCarlo.

^^^ Thank you for sharing that! I love stories like that! :) :) :)

God bless you and that man and woman always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. I dropped my billfold at my local K-Mart on Christmas Eve several years ago and whoever found it turned it in and when I got it back, all of my money was still in there! :) :) :)

Thank you for your input, but I said in the OP, "Nothing controversial or political."

I would appreciate it if you could adhere to that request. Surely there are enough threads here to discuss gun control w/o spoiling this one with controversy.

You also said good news. nor is it controversial to me. You need to be more specific.

Go here for one heck of a story concerning country group The Band Perry!

God bless you and them and the family that they chose to take care of always!!!

Holly

P.S. A fair warning to y'all though. This story is a sad one. :( :( :(

^^^ Thank you for sharing that! I love stories like that! :) :) :)

God bless you and that man and woman always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. I dropped my billfold at my local K-Mart on Christmas Eve several years ago and whoever found it turned it in and when I got it back, all of my money was still in there! :) :) :)

A few weeks after I moved to the town where I now live, I went to the supermarket and left my prescription sun glasses lying somewhere. I didn't realize until I got home and had been home several hours. I called the supermarket and they had found them and were holding them for me. The manager was so nice and courteous, and kept them for me until I could pick them up the next day. They were quite expensive sunglasses (I still have them), the frame is a very good one and costly. And the sun shines here nearly all year long, so I need them a lot. I just thought the way they handled it was so nice and they were good people.

You know.....................EVERYONE should know about the good news that happened in Atlanta over the past week. It seems that there were a lot of people who were stranded due to the way that the city planners handled the storm, but even so, when the crap hit the fan and people didn't have a way home, not only did private citizens open up their homes to those they didn't know, but many businesses said they would gladly put people up until they could return to their homes.

Kudos (and much good Karma) to the lady that put up the SnowedOutAtlanta Facebook page that helped people connect with those willing to help out. They even helped to save a pregnant woman and her child.

Facebook helps good Samaritan rescue pregnant woman in freezing Atlanta storm - NBC News.com

Yanno...................just about the time that I start to become disenchanted with the human race because of the political divides and all the other crap we do to one another, a story like this comes out and renews my faith in my fellow human beings.

It also happened during the California wildfires a couple of years back, and also happens any time that some catastrophe comes along like Hurricane Sandy.

Yep, given the chance in desperate circumstances, fortunately, most people will do the right thing and help out others.

BTW.................one of the main reasons that I give money to people standing on freeway off ramps or on corners with signs saying that they're hungry, is because I know that even if they buy something other than food, I've made their life a wee bit better for that day, and that gives me good feelings all over.

I have enough, and a little extra that I can share. I like to share. I wish more people felt like that.

Last edited:
You know.....................EVERYONE should know about the good news that happened in Atlanta over the past week. It seems that there were a lot of people who were stranded due to the way that the city planners handled the storm, but even so, when the crap hit the fan and people didn't have a way home, not only did private citizens open up their homes to those they didn't know, but many businesses said they would gladly put people up until they could return to their homes.

Kudos (and much good Karma) to the lady that put up the SnowedOutAtlanta Facebook page that helped people connect with those willing to help out. They even helped to save a pregnant woman and her child.

Facebook helps good Samaritan rescue pregnant woman in freezing Atlanta storm - NBC News.com

Yanno...................just about the time that I start to become disenchanted with the human race because of the political divides and all the other crap we do to one another, a story like this comes out and renews my faith in my fellow human beings.

It also happened during the California wildfires a couple of years back, and also happens any time that some catastrophe comes along like Hurricane Sandy.

Yep, given the chance in desperate circumstances, fortunately, most people will do the right thing and help out others.

BTW.................one of the main reasons that I give money to people standing on freeway off ramps or on corners with signs saying that they're hungry, is because I know that even if they buy something other than food, I've made their life a wee bit better for that day, and that gives me good feelings all over.

I have enough, and a little extra that I can share. I like to share. I wish more people felt like that.

Great post. Great addition to the thread. Thank you!

Woman Charged with Kidnapping after Missing Wisconsin Baby Found in Iowa Gas Station

Federal kidnapping charges have been filed against a Denver woman in the case of a missing 6-day-old boy who disappeared in the middle of the night from his Wisconsin home.

The woman, Kristin Smith, could face life in prison if convicted of snatching her half-sister's newborn, Kayden Powell.

U.S. Attorney John Vaudreuil filed the charge against Smith on Friday afternoon, hours after the child was found alive near an Iowa gas station half a mile from where Smith was arrested.

Police recovered Kayden around 10:15 a.m. Friday, just a day after he disappeared from his home in Beloit, Wisc., while his parents and other family members were in the house.

"Despite frigid temperatures, Kayden was found alive and appears to be doing very well," Beloit Chief of Police Steve Kopp said in a statement. "In the words of the EMS officials, he is in 'excellent' health."

Police say Smith was at the house the night Kayden disappeared, but left the house around 1:30 a.m. without explanation to drive back to Colorado where she lives.

Kayden's mother, Brianna Marshall, 18, told authorities Thursday that she woke up around 4:30 a.m. to find her son gone, missing from his bassinet in the same room where she slept.

Investigators said there were no signs of a break-in at the home, and the parents were cooperative. The baby's father, Bruce Powell, 23, and two other people were also staying in the house, including Kristen Smith, police said.

Authorities were able to reach Smith on her cellphone, and she pulled off the highway in Iowa. Police arrested Smith at a convenience store along the highway on an outstanding fraud warrant from Texas. They found baby clothes, a fake pregnancy belly and a stroller in the woman's car, but not the baby. FBI agents then went to Iowa to question Smith.

The boy was found when the police chief of West Branch, Iowa, heard the baby crying, the Associated Press reported. The chief, who had been checking sites along Interstate 80 along with other officers, located the infant's cries and found the boy wrapped in blankets inside a bag.

Before Kayden was discovered, federal, state and local police combined forces to launch a massive search that included checking dumpsters, police said.

Kayden's maternal grandmother, Tracy Bennett, told ABC News affiliate WLS-TV on Thursday that Smith had spoken to her about moving the family to Colorado.

Woman Charged with Kidnapping after Missing Wisconsin Baby Found in Iowa Gas Station - ABC News

This One-Day Event Resulted In Many Empty Animal Shelters

North Texas animal shelters were completely emptied after participating in a free adoption day on August 16, 2014.

Empty the Shelter Day is an effort to find homes for hundreds of pets in North Texas. An unprecedented number of cities and animal shelters, both municipal and non-profit, throughout North Texas have joined forces to offer free adoptions that one very special day.

Over 2,000 abandoned and surrendered pets (including dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs) were adopted during this event.

This One-Day Event Resulted In Many Empty Animal Shelters

Forum List

Back