The End of Set-top Cable Boxes?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
FCC seeking input for ways to stop the practice of renting cable boxes for service. I've never really paid attention to my monthly cable bill. I know I own my modem provided by the company but the cable box? I rent it?

What is the going to mean to non-tech users like me?

That unsightly and costly metal box that funnels cable or satellite service into your TV might be going the way of the black rotary-dial telephone — in the technology trash heap.

Read the story @ Is the FCC ready to think outside the set-top box?

Our TV's for a while have had their own tuners to get the vast channel ranges, only older models need boxes.
The boxes take unecessary room and power consumption and some violate our privacy rights.
Some cable providers need no boxes unless upgrading to upgrade movie channels. Comcast scrambles free TV which is supposed to be in violation of the law.
They do this so complexes in their service will require rent boxes to get HD channels(something which was supposed to be standard) , so with it scrambled you can't use your TV tuner to pick up the law required free broadcast tv.
By the way, just because you have your own modem doesn't mean Comcast won't try and charge you maliciously as if you have theirs. They are known for illegal billing practices geared towards inflating their accounts receivable and quarterly income in illegal tax recording practices. In the box issue the FCC is protecting the consumers from these practices as the issues the consumers have with the major cable co.'s mount.

Forum List

Back