The economy: slowing or stalling or regional?

Regional;

EIA2.jpg

I have had a HUGE drop in calls/demand. It is even substantially slower than it was this time last year. Usually I'm booked out at least 8 weeks this time of year. Right now I'm lucky to get a contract before the one we're currently on is finished.

I've inquired around and most in my industry here are experiencing the same thing.

Unemployment is dropping in most states, but where it isn't, it is still fairly high. A mixed bag depending on many things. Probably depends on what your industry is, but best of luck to you. Hope your orders pick up soon.

--sam

The RATE may be dropping, but that is only based on the formulas the Bureau of Labor Statistics uses to calculate the so called "unemployed".
The U-6 rate which counts 'marginally attached' which includes people who 'want to work' but do so as little as one hour per week
"What is U6 unemployment rate ?
The U6 unemployment rate counts not only people without work seeking full-time employment (the more familiar U-3 rate), but also counts "marginally attached workers and those working part-time for economic reasons." Note that some of these part-time workers counted as employed by U-3 could be working as little as an hour a week. And the "marginally attached workers" include those who have gotten discouraged and stopped looking, but still want to work. The age considered for this calculation is 16 years and over.

The question one must ask is "What is the definition of a job?"
As far as I am concerned, a job is a full time hired or contract position.
This administration claims to have created over 5 million "jobs"....Well if one counts a job as defined in the above definition of a job( marginally attached) then yes, the unemployment rate has fallen.
However, the economy has been growing at such a small rate, less than 2% annualized growth for some 20 consecutive quarters, that it is considered 'flat'.

How bout ending the total obstruction and no compromise of the GOP, a gd jobs act, a training/education bill, taxing the bloated rich their fair share, and giving the poor workers a living wage....could it be any more obvious? Legalize and tax it!

Why? Sallow says everything is just dandy.

New York is doing great.

The city itself has a 4 billion dollar surplus.

And real estate? Off the charts. My Upper East Side Apartment is rounding the half million mark.

And it's a small one bedroom!

New York, Booming right along at a 6.7% unemployment rate. Down to it's lowest level in five years! Well, not because there's jobs people just quit looking for one. But why look when welfare will pay 38k per year in subsidies not to work. 7th highest paying welfare benefits in the country.

Yeah you people are just kicking ass out there!

We are..actually.

Have a visit.

Economic activity is over the top. You can't drive anywhere around Manhattan without bumping into a construction project. Stores and restaurants are packed. The labor day weekend was the best for Broadway in history. There are tourists..everywhere. And the traffic jams during rush hour are nuts.

Maybe I should but what would you recommend I visit? The single bedroom apartment dwellers thinking they have a good deal at a half million dollars or the 6.7% probably closer to 15% unemployed living on 38k per year in a city that thinks 500k for a single room apartment is a smokin' deal?

Forum List

Back