The Disconnect Between American 'Education' and Success

Discussion in 'Education' started by Annie, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Anyone that quotes Tocqueville, I'm sure to agree with. ;) Seriously, I think there is alot of truth in this. I've often argued that the American system is superior to the European, in that we do keep bashing our heads against walls, attempting to 'teach all'. No, it doesn't always work; combined with 'non tracked' classes, it slows the pace down, a lot. However, for someone of normal intelligence, there is always another chance.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/05/AR2006090501131_pf.html

2. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    Hence our distain (see below) for the smarty-pants European-oriented Leftists who want to design society from their lame "ivory towers".

:tongue1:

3. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    No. Our schools suck ass. All those secondary systems are so often used because people must make up for their shit education.

Students should be separated based on ability and realistic goals set for each level. I know this would reveal the politically incorrect truths everyone wishes to ignore, but would we rather see our nation go down the shitter? Would we rather see our kids in night school while working retail to try and catch up to Indians coming straight into the fortune 500s right off the boat? Because discipline was too hard, because political correctness has so polluted academic discourse in america that logic and thinking are considered white oppression?

Say no to the insanity.

4. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Spoken in the true spirit of Marx and Lenin, KomЯade ЯШA!

5. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    How is this like marx and lenin?

I'm saying let the advanced kids excel, instead of shackling them forever to the incapable amongst us. Our current system is guaranteeing we achieve the lowest possible common denominator, and hamstringing our nation.

6. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Spoken like a true McCarthy-ist. Does it make more sense to educate kids according to their individual ability to retain the information or does it make more sense to lump them all together so that the slow ones keep the class speed set at status quo? I don't agree with the racial undertones of the statement, but you should atleast give credit where it's due.

7. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511

The racial aspect is precisely why we don't do this. It would LOOK BAD. Therefore our nation must face ruin, for political correctness.

8. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    That's how it's done here. Starting in gr.1 they're seperated in the class (not all schools do this, but most give gifted and advanced children other work to do while the rest of the class sticks with the regular ciriculum). Grades 7-8 don't practice this often, then 9-12 is divided in three - basic, general and advanced. There are some gifted programs in high schools but not all. Ontario used have gr. 13 which counted as 1 year of unversity. :huh:

9. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Actually, 'Я' is pronounced the exact same as the German 'ja,' and 'Ш' is prounounced 'sh.'

If you want to get him, call him 'товарищ.' It means 'comrade.' Or call him 'пкm,' which is the abbreviation for 'right wing avenger' in Pyccки.

10. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    As to the separation of kids based on ability, it's not that I'm against it, but you really have to tread carefully. How will you separate kids out? Can kids who at first don't perform well, but later show greater academic abilities, be able to move between groups? It's too easy to pigeonhole kids into the "smart" and "dumb" groups, decide their futures for them, and call it a success. That's my only concern.

Hobbit: thanks for the Russian lesson.