The Devil's Rejects

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Dan, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Wow, this was a pretty awesome movie. Obviously, if you're not into horror movies, you probably won't like this. And, don't be fooled into thinking this is going to be one of those super-fast cuts/scary kids jumping at the screen type "horror" movies. This is kind of an ode to those down-and-dirty horror movies of the 70s, the kind that didn't make you jump or anything, but had you squirming from the creepiness of it all (Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Last House on the Left, etc.). Make no mistake, this thing has some very gory and very sexually disturbing moments.

Even though it's sort of a sequel to House of 1000 Corpses, the tone is completely different. Whereas House ended with an underground monster named Dr. Satan, this one opens with a shootout at the Firefly house which leaves about ten people dead. In House of 1000 Corpses, there was always this kind of irony to everything that was going on, the sense that all the actors were trying to keep from laughing during every take. This is completely gone in the new one. Though there are some intentionally funny moments, the movie is, for the most part, as disturbing as they get.

Movies like these are really the only kind that scare me: movies about real things that I'm really scared of. I'm not scared of a doll that comes to life and hunts people or whatever, but the idea of a group of people who kill, torture, and rape people randomly for no reason other than their own amusement really disturbs me.

The movie has an amazing soundtrack, too, that consists of mostly southern rock. I never really thought I'd truly be able to ever get into "Free Bird" again, but it's really well-used in an important scene in the movie and it made me actually like the song again.

Don't get me wrong, if you're soured by movies that basically consist of nothing but depravity and murder, you'll never make it past the first 30 minutes of this one. But, if you can stomach it and are a fan of horror movies, I think you'll like this one.

2. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Dan, give me one example of a gory scene, I am considering seeing it, and want to know if I can handle it or not. My tolerance is pretty high but like you the idea of people doing horrible things to others for fun is hard for me to take sometimes.. "Natural Born Killers" comes to mind

3. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Hmmm. There's nothing worse than NBK, but whereas NBK had all the camera and editing effects, this one's just... there. There's no cutting away or anything.

Umm, the creepiest scene for me was when Otis (the main killer) and his sister kidnap a couple in a hotel room. Otis more or less rapes the woman with his gun (fairly graphically) while the sister keeps saying "Chinese, Japanese, dirty knees, what are these?" and laughing over and over again. It's mostly just creepy stuff like that. There's another scene where they tie up a woman and force her to wear a mask made out of her husband's face, which has just been sliced off (offscreen).

It honestly isn't any gorier than the average horror movie, but it's done in a very dark and mean-spirited way that makes it feel gorier. Kinda like the way the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre had almost no gore at all and yet it has this reputation as being one of the most gruesome movies of all time.

4. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    The scene from American History X where Norton makes the guy bite the curb... the sound effect they put in as the guy's teeth touch the curb makes my skin crawl. And I'm usually not affected by movies much...

I'll have to check this one out and see what I think...

5. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Well that does give me a good idea about this one.

Have you seen "The Hills Have Eyes" ?

6. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,799
    This movie was completly disturbing. There didn't seem to be any point to the movie at all, just a bunch of mindless killing. Can't believe I wasted my time watching it, but my gf dragged me to it.

7. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Oh, yeah, great movie. As a matter of fact, that weird-looking bald guy has a small part in Devil's Rejects.

Well, I don't think there was supposed to be a point to it, really. It was just a sick story, I guess.

8. larry_davis

larry_davis Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it was alright, it seems like a movie where they are trying too hard to make it wierd.
    :splat:

9. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    If that's how you felt about Devil's Rejects, I'd love to know what you thought of House of 1000 Corpses.

10. larry_davis

larry_davis Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i couldn't finish watching it because it was so boring. chain saw massacare rip off to me. rob zombie seems like a wannabe gore freak to me, maybe he's not just seems that way to me. love white zombie though.
    :kiss2: