The Democrats’ year

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mr.Conley, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    http://www.economist.com/daily/news/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10230233

This piece roughly correlates with how I think the '08 elections are going to pan out. It seems to me that the Republican Presidential Candidate is going to face several structural issues in the electorate that, in my opinion, almost entirely preclude a Republican victory. The biggest problems I see facing the Republicans as we head into 2008 are namely the widespread dissatisfaction with the current President,the tainted image the Republican brand now associates with candidates, the mass defection of business minded voters and donors to the Democratic party- as evidenced by the huge sums of money the Democrats are raising- the general sense of alienation among Christian conservatives, the leftward shift in Ohio along with several other key Republican states and the conservative contest to see who can piss off the Latino vote the most that seems to have obliterated the Republican gains of the Bush years within that group.

The situation only gets worse when we shift the lens to Congress. While the Republicans might be able to minimize the damage in the House, I can't see anything but a rout in the Senate.

2. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    I agree, but I am hoping for Edwards or Obama, frankly I see Hillary as more of the same. Hope I am wrong.

3. JimH52

JimH52 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,260
    I see the major GOP problem as them not having a far right neo candidate. Look at who is there as the front runners now. There is Rudy who is a social liberal. There is Mitt who also leaves the neos shaking in their boots. And then there is Huckabee who has tons of skeletons from his term as governor in Ark. McCain is hated by so many in the party, he has no chance. That s something else the GOP can thank gw and rove for.

Whoever finally gains the GOP nod may have a third party candidate arise from those left behind. That will give the Demos a free ride to the WH. Remember, Bill won his first term primarily because of Ross Perot stealing conservative votes from Bush Sr. I see that happening again but this time with Hillary (who I see as the eventual Dem nominee).

Bottom line, the way I see it. Hillary wins the Dem nomination and WH. The Dems gain more seats in Congress. And who can the GOP thank for all that. I squirrel named gw bush who has the IQ of a paper cut. Congrats!

4. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,108
    Anything can happen, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet on the Dems winning the White House, adding 4-6 seats in the Senate and a few more House seats.

5. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Hey, I know, this is what's called a "circle jerk", you boy's go right on, no worries here.:lol: