The "Death Panels" are already here

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gudrid, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Gudrid

Gudrid Bilderbergs' Catcher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +93
    The "death panels" are already here | Salon News

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Yukon

Yukon BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99
    You are ridiculous !

3. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    I guess we can't accuse Palin of hyperbole then.

4. Fatality

Fatality SunCrackedSoul

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +280
    wow so you want to continue the practice, what a chump

5. Gudrid

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +93
    And you're an idiot. Thanks for your contribution.

6. Gudrid

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Why not? She employed hyperbole, as does this article. Sometimes hyperbole is quite effective. The danger that Palin pointed out is already here and what we need to find a way to control. One of doing that is by creating an option that is more directly answerable to the people in the most direct manner possible. She pinned the problem, in my opinion, she just pinned it to the wrong shirt. Partisans have a tendency to do that.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    Maybe if you posted your views rather than just a link to someone else's you might get a more considered response.

8. Gudrid

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +93
    No, I wish to end the practice by spreading that decision making power around some, rather than concentrating it in the hands of a few private entities that bypass free market controls due to the nature of the business. The people who have no alternative plan but just blindly bitch and moan about the plan presented - those are the folks who are chumps. Grow a pair and don't be so afraid of using your brain.

Insults rather than discussion with valid points shows nothing but fear of using your brain. Following your leaders. Amazing, the first three posts - no points, no discussion, just knee-jerk insults because someone you've never really even talked to posted an article that isn't on your "side." I've read Hoffer's "True Believer" but I'm always surprised when the evidence of his theories rears itself up so blatantly.

9. Gudrid

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +93

lol. I did post my views - they were well reflected in that article, which is why I posted it. Then I prepared for discussion, for people who agree and disagree to discuss. But several on this board seem to have a knee-jerk reaction of throwing out middle-school level comments as habit and calling themselves clever for it. I haven't been around long - Chanel I have no idea about - but the other two, that seems to be their status quo.

Trying to blame me for nasty people throwing out nastiness - as they've clearly done since before I ever got here - is pretty lame as well, just so you know.

10. toomuchtime_

toomuchtime_ Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,010
    When Obama says the fact that different doctors prescribe different treatments for the same conditions means the federal government must decide on the comparative effectiveness and cost effectiveness of the various treatments, he is talking about how much money we should spend to keep this girl alive, not just whether a treatment will actually keep her alive.

When the House votes to increase Medicare spending for end of life counseling, they are intending this as a soft sell approach to persuading seniors with terminal illnesses to choose less expensive palliative care in a hospice rather than more expensive intensive care in a hospital.

One can argue that since Medicare is a government run program it is appropriate for politicians to try to influence life and death decisions in order to save money, but the question we should all be considering now is whether we want these same politicians to try to influence life and death decisions for us before we go on Medicare?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009