The cost of crackers?

RodISHI

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2008
Has anyone else notice the price of food lately?

I came across an old newspaper ad from the fall of 2007. I was using it to start a fire this morning and I saw the cost of Zesty crackers was a $1.48. Day before yesterday I was at the grocery store picking up a few things we needed. Crackers was one of those items. When I saw the cost of Zesty crackers was $3.79 I decided we could do without them.

I got to the canned veggie ilse and noticed that the green beans I normally like to buy were 89 cents a can. Looking in that old ad flyer from 2007 that same name brand was 2 for 88 cents.

I then came to the cereal ilse and thought I'd pick Rod up some Wheaties per his request for cold cereal. A box of Wheaties was $3.89. Corn Flakes, Frosted Mini Wheats and a few other brand names were $1.69 a box. You can all guess at what kind he got.

I got to the baking ilse and found that Betty Crocker cake mix were 88 cents a box. What a deal I have not seen cake mix for less than a $1.29 for awhile. In my old 2007 ad Pilsbury cake mix is .79 cents. The only problem I see with making cake is eggs are now triple of the cost of what they used to be. Plus cooking oil had tripled in cost. We do not have our chickens yet.

I wanted to pick up some canned Tuna for Tuna salad sandwhiches but a small can is a $1.38. It has been some time ago since I bought Tuna. The 2007 ad flyer has Tuna at .56 cents for a small can.

Has anyone else notice the price of food lately?

I came across an old newspaper ad from the fall of 2007. I was using it to start a fire this morning and I saw the cost of Zesty crackers was a $1.48. Day before yesterday I was at the grocery store picking up a few things we needed. Crackers was one of those items. When I saw the cost of Zesty crackers was $3.79 I decided we could do without them.

I got to the canned veggie ilse and noticed that the green beans I normally like to buy were 89 cents a can. Looking in that old ad flyer from 2007 that same name brand was 2 for 88 cents.

I then came to the cereal ilse and thought I'd pick Rod up some Wheaties per his request for cold cereal. A box of Wheaties was $3.89. Corn Flakes, Frosted Mini Wheats and a few other brand names were $1.69 a box. You can all guess at what kind he got.

I got to the baking ilse and found that Betty Crocker cake mix were 88 cents a box. What a deal I have not seen cake mix for less than a $1.29 for awhile. In my old 2007 ad Pilsbury cake mix is .79 cents. The only problem I see with making cake is eggs are now triple of the cost of what they used to be. Plus cooking oil had tripled in cost. We do not have our chickens yet.

I wanted to pick up some canned Tuna for Tuna salad sandwhiches but a small can is a $1.38. It has been some time ago since I bought Tuna. The 2007 ad flyer has Tuna at .56 cents for a small can.

damn--I thought you were talking about white folks. :lol:

Food prices have gone up a lot in the last two years. You just have to watch for the sales and stock up when the items you normally buy are on sale. I shop four different stores when I do my weekly shopping so I get the best deals at each store. I've also stopped buying the brand name items for the most part. Most off brands are just as good. In fact, many times the store brand is the same product as one of the name brands. The name brand company just puts a different label on the item. In other words, all the extra money you're paying for is for advertising with the name brands. Be careful though; some off brands can be pretty bad.

As for that tuna, I buy Kroger's tuna. It seems like all the name brands are just a bunch of moosh. Kroger's is the only tuna that still has actual solid pieces of tuna in the can.

Another item skyrocketed. It was an outrageous price for mayonnaise compared to three months ago. A three dollar increase in three months.

Good news if one likes pork'n beans 3 for a dollar. I'm not a hugh pork'n beans fan though.

I am with Terrel to a point that much of what is happening has been by design. Then looking at the situation on a whole from my perspective people became lackadaisical in watching out for one another. In greed many will fail and fall.

The price of goods increased when gas was over $4.00 a gallon to offset that increase.

Gas went down..but nothing followed.

Good article EZ.

The UK people are sick of taxes too. I pulled this comment of the link you gave. The taxes on houses and property here for the amount and actual values of the homes & property are ridiculous. And it is worse in cities. Rod got to talking to an older guy the other day when he went in to register the mini-van that was given to us. The older guy told him in the depression more people loss their property and homes becuase they could not pay their taxes even though they could pay their mortgages. The taxes went up and it was far more than people could afford.

The council tax is forcing many into serious debt and this government are responsible.
My council tax is now £2,125 a year just to live in my own home. It is like the government have taken it from me and are like a shyster landlord putting up the rent every year.

USDA'S 2009 food price increase forecast at 4-5 percent.
Higher meat prices, driven by escalating grain prices, will fuel an increase of 4 to 5 percent in U.S. food prices in 2009, the third consecutive year of large increases, USDA USDA,
n.pr See United States Department of Agriculture. forecast last week. Food prices are estimated to rise by 5 percent this year, the largest annual increase since 1990. They rose by 4 percent in 2007.

In its first estimate for 2009, USDA said food prices would be led by red meat and poultry, which account for 10 percent of food spending. Beef prices will rise by 6.5 percent, it estimated, and pork and poultry by 5.5 percent. USDA economist Ephraim Leibtag, who prepared the forecast, said higher feed costs "will impact the meat industry, supplies and production will tighten, and prices will rise."

For this year, the biggest price increases are forecast for eggs, up 14 percent, cereals and bakery products, up 9.5 percent, and fats and oils, up 12 percent. In that group, cereals and bakery products are the largest component of the food basket This article or section may be confusing or unclear for some readers.
Please [improve the article] or discuss this issue on the talk page. , 7.4 percent of overall spending. All would moderate in 2009, rising at 4 percent or less.

This part is interesting too.

Asia's central bankers, who are preparing for their annual gathering July 28 in Shanghai, have been unable to develop a united response to deal with the worst inflation threat in at least a decade. That is because most central banks in Asia have been reluctant to give up any of their economic independence or challenge the United States by coordinating their monetary and currency policies, even as they fret about rising prices.

Forum List

Back