The computer monitor power usage analogy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by manifold, Jun 21, 2011.

1. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,725
    All this talk about how wefare abuse is rampant, and how even legitimate welfare usage is crippling our economy and should therefore be a top priority for reform and cutbacks reminds me of a short anecdote. Some years ago I worked for a start-up company, struggling to remain cash-flow positive. During one particularly lean and stressful period, our founder and CTO went on a crusade to make sure everyone turned off their monitors when the left work. We need to cut costs he said (and he was right of course) and not wasting power is great place to start. Sounds reasonable enough, and he even enlisted a few minions to enforce his decree...

And then I actually showed him the numbers. We were spending roughly $3million per quarter in operating expenses, of which our utility bill comprised $15K or 0.5%. Even if we managed to cut our utility bill by 100% (down to zero), we weren't going to make a dent in our cost structure.

Since nobody can ever produce real numbers to support their anti-welfare diatribes, I suspect a similar phenomenon could be at work here. It sounds reasonable, it plays right into many a confirmation bias, but alas, it's simply not supported by the actual numbers.

But whatcha gonna do? :dunno:

2. Robert

Robert Really nice Guy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +192
    You do what he did you get started and you keep cutting until its balanced....The option to do nothing is not an option its a failure.

3. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,725
    Yeah sure, just get out the hatchet and start swinging. :rolleyes:

No need for reasoned analysis of the costs and benefits. :thup:

4. Robert

Robert Really nice Guy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +192
    He started with the easiest cutting he could do without causing harm to either the business or employees. I would say that a pretty reasoned approach why would you have a problem with that approach when you're calling for

5. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,725
    The amount of productivity lost on this distraction was far more than the few pennies saved.

It's ok that you suck at economic and financial analysis... most do. :thup:

6. Robert

Robert Really nice Guy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Yes I'm so very sure that "Turning off a Monitor" is a Huge Imposition to the users who are not using the monitor in the first place.

I deal with whining like this all day long I've heard every possible combination of complaint that could possibly be muttered and in the end it doesn't matter Productivity isn't harmed and wasn't harmed and in the same circumstance ten's of thousands have been saved by making simple changes.......all that was required was to start the process. Doing nothing is a failure.

7. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,725
    When a person who costs the company more than $1,200 per day spends three days on a crusade that ultimately saves the company $67, that's a negative return skippy. :thup:

8. Robert

Robert Really nice Guy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Well Skippy you have yet to suggest any other solution in fact if we are to understand your stance on the matter nothing should have been done because in your view it wasn't worth the effort yet the effort was quite small and the return over time is quite large. Never run a business have you?

9. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,725
    Epic strawman fail.

I never said nothing should be done. But I suspect you know that already and are being intentionally obtuse.

But whatcha gonna do? :dunno:

10. Robert

Robert Really nice Guy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Nice Dance.....but I would suggest keeping your day job.