The coming national and international unrest.

Neubarth

At the Ballpark July 30th
Nov 8, 2008
South Pacific
I wrote a letter to my sister telling her about how the coming depression would create a big increase in the crime rate.

Her response was to ask me:

"Okay, so what kind of gun should I buy?"

My response was as follows:

I don't know what to recommend. I am not the greatest fan of guns for all people even though I was a military officer. More family members are injured or killed with a family owned gun than with the guns of intruders that are held in criminal hands. Barring some miraculous cure, this escalation in layoffs is growing bigger and faster. Service Sector economies depend upon people constantly spending to keep the services running. I pointed this out to my kids years ago.

Service Sector Economies are not stable and can come collapsing down in hard times. No spending = nobody getting paid for their service sector job and less people spending and so on. It can become a domino effect as we are now seeing.

Manufacturing used to be the strength of America, and we are still the leading manufacturing country in the world, but over half of our money changes hands because of service sector spending. Along with the decrease in the Service Sector jobs, our manufacturing is decreasing rapidly. Very few people want to buy our overly expensive American made cars, even if we do bail out the Big 3.

Obama wants to inject a massive infusion of money into the hands of those people who will spend in the service sector to stimulate growth. I hope his plan works. I know it will give the economy a boost to get it going again, but will the newly invigorated economy turn south after the effect of the cash infusion wears off?

In that regard, I think a lot will depend upon the Global Economy. Crime is going to escalate with the unemployment. Yet, your chances of being killed from that crime escalation are less than from Biological Warfare which is an increasing Global danger. As the last Great Depression gave us a Global War, this coming Depression may give us Global mayhem all over again with smaller countries unleashing Biological weapons on another. Unfortunately, Viruses go where they want to go.

All it would take would be for one country to unleash a killer virus on an enemy nation and then having that virus spread uncontrolled. Most of these killer viruses are RNA viruses and they can mutate fast enough, once released that even a Bio Weapon releasing country that has inoculated its population against this illness is not safe from that subsequent mutation (We could inoculate our population with our flu shots every year. All the more reason to get those flu shots as they may protect us if the US decided to unleash a biological weapon.)

When I was a Naval Officer I made a whole series of training films for the Navy on Nuclear Biological and Chemical Warfare Countermeasures. (AND now, your host, Lieutenant Neubarth!) We emphasized that training and a whole lot of young men got to see your brother on the screen telling them how to take immediate protective measures as well as what they needed to do over the long term.

We emphasized Biological Warfare in the early 80's as we knew that the Ru-skies were going heavily in that direction. It was believed that in addition to biological agents they were pursuing seven or eight killer viral illnesses that they could unleash of an enemy without that enemy knowing the source of the viruses. (These were Ebola like Flu viruses as well as other hideous killer illnesses.)

All that an attacked country would know was that their people were dying of illnesses that nobody had an inoculation for. They could suspect Russia or another country, but could never prove it before the whole nation was wasted of population. We knew that India was developing a massive program and that Red China was right behind them. About a dozen years ago Syria and Pakistan started their own programs. Israel developed a large program for defensive purposes It goes on and on.

The threat from killer viruses is real if they ever escape from some-body's lab. AND the threat is global because of the high risk of mutation. I became quite well known around the Internet World when I labeled a virus that appeared to escape from a Chinese Bio Weapons lab in Sichuan Province in 2005. It (Sichuan Sheet - An Ebola like Flu that killed quickly) killed thousands of Chinese before it was contained. In one region the Chinese Army was used to kill all of the inhabitants and animals of several villages, the villages were burned to the ground and bulldozed under. The troops who did the extermination of the villagers were marched into a large abandoned coal mine and the entrance was dynamited shut. You can assume that several thousand Red Chinese soldiers were put to death in a horrible manner through starvation in that mine.

All of this was reported on the Boxun Message board in Hong Kong. It was Boxun that warned the world about SARS months before it escaped from China to the Western world. The Boxun reports are fairly reliable since people risk their lives to post to that site.

Communist China put a stop to the outbreak by being ruthless once they realized that the virus had taken up residence in their pig population in Sichuan. Instead of going from human to human, it killed a few thousand and then mutated into a pig killing virus. Talk about a strange twist to the Andromeda strain story. Those pigs were shipped to different markets throughout the country before the Chinese government was aware, and butchers were dying quick and bloody deaths after they butchered the pigs.

If the butchers had microscopic nicks or cuts on their hands the virus could travel from the butchered pig meat to the butcher. Once the butcher was sick, he could spread the illness to other people by sneezing. Luckily it did not spread as easily as the common cold.

As a Bioweapon it was not that effective in sweeping the human masses. The thousands of deaths were publicly denied by Official Chinese Media and a few deaths were explained away as having been caused by Streptococcus Suis, a benign bacteria that is routinely found on pig snouts and genitalia. In all of recorded medical history, one person had been claimed to have been killed by Strep Suis. That person let the infection go without proper medical care and he died. The Red Chinese claimed that the people who died of Strep Suis in their country received proper medical care but died of Toxic Shock Syndrome. Total Bolshoi!

I know for certain that the US tried aggressively to get samples of Sichuan Sheet, and I expect that we now have added it to our arsenal. It looks to be a cross between Ebola and H5N1 Bird Flu (H5N1 Influenza -- All Type A Influenza is Bird Flu.) In my life I have had three Bird Flu illnesses (H1N1, H2N1 and H3N2) that were severe, always at the time that a new strain of Bird Flu (Influenza) was sweeping the country. The Bio Weapon Virus that was killing everybody in China was killing with flu like symptoms, not Toxic Shock like symptoms.

In a pandemic with a high mortality rate, my advice to anybody who has not been inoculated against the strain of influenza that is going around, is to stay inside and bolt the doors and avoid all contact with others until the illness has abated. Every year in the United States 35,000 to 40,000 Americans die from H1N1 or H3N2 influenza.

Two of our world famous great grandfather Berthold Neubarth's children (Cecelia and Bill) died from H1N1 Spanish Flu in 1918. Flu is present all year long, but does most of its killing during the cold months when people are shut together in heated closed buildings and aggressively spread their illnesses. A bioweapons attack would more than likely coincide with winter in either hemisphere, so it would appear to be just a normal illness at first.

I would fear man developed illness more than I would hand guns held by criminals.

Well...on the bright side...

..there's nothing like a devasting world wide pandemic that kills billions of people to drive up the minimum wage.

Who cares----If anyone comes to fuck with me or my family while I'm on my death bed I can still pull a trigger.

Wrong again Wisconsin boy----poor sociopaths take advantage of the situation. When you can't manipulate the system, you break the rules.
Sociopaths are already, anyway, going to take advantage of the system and do things that are illegal.

The more depressed the nation gets, the more stock I will purchase with certain pharmaceutical companies. Along with beer companies, gun manufactures and I may open a few bars.

Poverty causes crime. Gotcha.

Yes, actually it does.

Poverty’s effects on crime can be explained through a variety of reasons. “There is a higher rate of mental illness in the poor than in the rich” (Brill 40). Poverty can lead to high levels of stress that in turn may lead individuals to commit theft, robbery, or other violent acts. Moreover, poverty may lead to an actual or perceived inferior education, which would cause youth to count on less access to quality schools, jobs, and role models, decreasing the opportunity costs of crime and increasing the probability of youth spending time on the street associating with gangs, etc (Ludwig 1). ...

In both regressions, the estimated coefficient of poverty is very significant. These regressions show that a one percent increase in the population below poverty level will lead to an increase of about 135 total crimes and about 25 violent crimes. ...

The estimated coefficient of poverty shows that holding all the other variables constant, a 1% increase in the population under the poverty level will increase total crimes by 134 per 100,000 inhabitants.

Poverty & Crime - Fundamental Finance

Poverty is not the only reason, but it is one.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back