The Childless As Parasites

Trigg said:
I have 3 boys and a girl. I used to get looks when my older 3 were young since they're very close together in age. Right now my kids are 12, 10, 8, and 3
You're a "Four Mom," too! :beer: Cool!
Mine are all close. Had all 4 in 5 years & 3 mo. Mine are 4,6,8,& 9.
Anyone ask you about your birth control?

theHawk said:
By the way , where do you guys think countries like China are headed that regulate how many kids a family can have? Where are they going to be economically a generation from now? People keep saying how they will be the next economic superpower. Wouldn't that contradict this theory of declining birth rates effecting the economic output of a nation?
I think that is the point of Kathianne's post. Especially socialized nations who have a top-heavy, aging population. They will have a problem producing enough wealth to support the elderly. Even though Chinese culture supposedly reveres the elderly, I wouldn't be surprised if assisted suicide and euthanasia became common there, especially for the elderly.

mom4 said:
You're a "Four Mom," too! :beer: Cool!
Mine are all close. Had all 4 in 5 years & 3 mo. Mine are 4,6,8,& 9.
Anyone ask you about your birth control?

I needed a break in there before I added a 4th, my 3rd was a little pistol in his younger years.

I got a few looks and comments when my kids were little, but there is a sizable Amish community around here so compaired to their families of 8 or more my family looks small.

mom4 said:
I think that is the point of Kathianne's post. Especially socialized nations who have a top-heavy, aging population. They will have a problem producing enough wealth to support the elderly. Even though Chinese culture supposedly reveres the elderly, I wouldn't be surprised if assisted suicide and euthanasia became common there, especially for the elderly.

I agree.

In fact there are a few European countries that have more deaths than births right now Germany and Russia are two. They're worried about being able to continue the social programs like cheap health care and retirement.

If you have a dozen kids, but pay all the bills yourself, you aren't a parasite.

If you have zero kids, but pay for your retirement yourself, you aren't a parasite.

I understand what the article is saying, from an economic standpoint. But frankly, it's a couple's business how many kids they decide they want to conceive. I've got two kids, someone else has four, someone else has none. It's a free country. Have as many - or as few - children as you want.

Forum List

Back