The catalogues are in!!!! Seed ordering time. YAYAYAY!

Discussion in 'Gardening and Landscaping' started by tinydancer, Feb 4, 2018.

1. JustAnotherNut

JustAnotherNut Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,733
    What about a taller perimeter fence? Say 6 or 8ft high? Or use other types of 'obstacles'? Living closer to town, I don't have problem with deer, but I grow several things vertically, like pole beans on towers & teepees and cukes, or small squash on some repurposed crib springs and larger squash on ladders.

Or here is some other suggestions....

How to Keep Deer Out of Your Yard

7 Plants That'll Keep Deer Out Of Your Garden

https://www.motherearthnews.com/nature-and-environment/deer-proof-your-garden-zbcz1711

just be careful if you plant mint as a deterrent for deer, that stuff can become invasive quickly and is difficult to keep under control

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. JustAnotherNut

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,733
    Do you also save carrot seed? If so, have you had any luck with it?

I've tried a couple of times now over the years, but the resulting carrots must have cross pollinated with Queen Anne's Lace because the roots are usually a pale yellow or white. They do smell overwhelmingly of carrot though

3. JustAnotherNut

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,733
    If you want to save your seeds, get the heirloom varieties. Although they can be a bit trickier than hybrids.

In the past I've bought my heirlooms from Baker Creek Rare Heirloom Seeds | Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

I've had great success with some of them, and not so much with others.......but I think that's because of the climate differences from Missouri to Washington state. I just don't have the heat they do

4. JustAnotherNut

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,733
    Also, look into getting a few chickens. They can be a big help by eating bugs & grubs that will eat your garden, and the chickens will turn the soil when they scratch around in it.........just don't let them in the garden during the growing season or they will eat the garden too, unless you have them in a chicken tractor that will keep them confined.

5. ozro

ozro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I do have carrots and as i said im not home to actually check but i know i have danvers half long seeds.

6. Dekster

Dekster Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,407
    I have about 50 peonies and they do not keep deer away. I also have some of the other plants listed. I plan on doing a 6 foot fence and we will see what happens though techically it should be 10-12, but cannot find fencing that high in our area other than chain linked.

I also have a couple kinds of mint that don't keep the deer from eating what is even next to it. My sweet mint is rather contained, but I have another variety that has unfortunately taken over two beds. I battle the stuff non-stop and cannot get rid of it completely as it is off into my neighbors grass as well and keeps coming back my way. I turned one of the beds this winter and even the soil smells like the stuff.

7. tinydancer

tinydancer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,316
    I have a fabulous source for heirloom seeds. Heritage Seeds they're called but I think they only ship in Canada. Johnny's does list some heirloom veggies especially peppers and tomatoes.

8. tinydancer

tinydancer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,316
    One of the best tricks I learned from southern old timeys was to hang clusters of hair around and thru your garden. Bag it in cheesecloth. Any hairdresser or barber will be more than happy to oblige you with hair clippings.

Other sure fire way to keep deer at bay is to get your husband /and or sons to take nightly leaks around the perimeter of your garden. If that grosses them out then its worth purchasing predator urine from any hunting store.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018