The Bush Legacy...Lost Decade for Family Income

Bfgrn

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2009
The failed 'conservative' revolution over the last 30 years is coming home to roost. Tax cuts for the wealthy created ZERO private sector jobs over the last decade.

And the right wing pea brains and teabaggers want to do MORE of the same, but this time with malice toward the middle class, the unemployed and the poor.

Wall_Street_Journal-logo-98AD0EBF46-seeklogo.com.gif

Lost Decade for American Income - WSJ.com

The downturn that some have dubbed the "Great Recession" has trimmed the typical household's income significantly, new Census data show, following years of stagnant wage growth that made the past decade the worst for American families in at least half a century.

The bureau's annual snapshot of American living standards also found that the fraction of Americans living in poverty rose sharply to 14.3% from 13.2% in 2008—the highest since 1994. Some 43.6 million Americans were living below the official poverty threshold, but the measure doesn't fully capture the panoply of government antipoverty measures.

The inflation-adjusted income of the median household—smack in the middle of the populace—fell 4.8% between 2000 and 2009, even worse than the 1970s, when median income rose 1.9% despite high unemployment and inflation. Between 2007 and 2009, incomes fell 4.2%.

"It's going to be a long, hard slog back to what most Americans think of as normalcy or prosperous times," said Nicholas Eberstadt, a political economist at the right-leaning American Enterprise Institute.

The data, released Thursday, underscore the extent to which U.S. households relied on government benefits—and each other—to weather the recession and how living standards at the middle of the middle class have stalled. The report comes as the economy is at the center of a vigorous debate over how government policy can best help the poor and unemployed.

The median household income fell 0.7% to $49,777 in 2009, down 4.2% since 2007, when the recession started, the Census Bureau said.

The bureau said that the drop in income in the recent recession, so far, wasn't much different from those recorded in the early 1990s and early 2000s recessions, and was actually smaller than the 6% drop recorded in the deep recession of the early 1980s.

But there is a difference this time: In the prior three recessions, incomes fell after years of upswing, then resumed growing once the downturn ended. The decline this time comes on top of a long period in which incomes stagnated even through the recovery of 2003 to 2007.

I really feel for people like you man. Such a simple mind that you actually think one president is responsible for an economic crisis that was Decades in the making, and the Fault of BOTH PARTIES.

I really feel for people like you man. Such a simple mind that you actually think one president is responsible for an economic crisis that was Decades in the making, and the Fault of BOTH PARTIES.

Unless that 'president's' name is Barack Obama...

Yea, it started in 1980. This is the culmination of the second failed revolution of extreme 'ideology'...

The Bolshevik revolution was the failure of unfettered communism, and the Reagan revolution was the failure of unfettered capitalism.

But there is a difference this time: In the prior three recessions, incomes fell after years of upswing, then resumed growing once the downturn ended. The decline this time comes on top of a long period in which incomes stagnated even through the recovery of 2003 to 2007.

Essentially the modern recession is a deferred reckoning with the dot com collapse of 2001-2.

The difference between this recession and others of the past is that monetarists have prevented us from realizing the requisite corrections that recessions demand.

Under Carter and Reagan unemployment soared, inflation went double digit! But that was what the economy NEEDED to readjust and prosper again.

There hasn't been a correction during a recession since the early 80's. Instead the monetarists have ginned up the printing presses and kicked the recessions further down the road.

We should have been watching our wages erode continuously since the early 80's but a lot of borrowing and a lot of bubbles concealed from us the true fallacy of our faux prosperity.

Today's recession is just a way of reckoning with a secret recession that has been lurking beneath the surface for 3 decades, ever since the dollar was taken off the gold standard.

Unless that 'president's' name is Barack Obama...

I for one do not blame Obama for all of this. I blame him for what I see as a failed attempt to respond to it.

however I do hold the current congressional democrats and Obama's feet to the fire big time over one thing for sure. That is that for 8 years we were told that Bushes spending on the war in Iraq was destroying our Nation. For 8 years that is all we heard. We spend to much, it has to stop. Then they get into power and spend 3 times as much as the Iraq was cost in 8 years, in a matter of Months. Frankly I was stunned. Yes I know they claim they had to do it to respond to the economic crisis, But I think that is a load of BS. They did not have to spend as much as they did, and they did not spend what they did in anywhere near the most efficient manner there is to stimulate the economy or Jobs. Hell half the stimulus was simply bail outs for state budgets. bail outs that simply encourage the states to ignore the sustainability of their spending and not make any corrections.

They have done nothing to address the underlying issues of Debt, Deficits. We face an even more painful correction coming because of it.

Both Parties share the blame, but right now, Democrats are running the show, and fucking shit up just as well as Republicans ever had.

Last edited:
No one is blaming just "Bush". It's the entire Republican ideology that sucks.

The worship of the rich. Anti education. Fuck the middle class. The deregulation. The wars.

What have Republicans done right for decades?

When Eisenhower was president, the tax rate was 91% for the wealthiest Americans. Now, the nations wealth is concentrated in the hands of a very few and during the Bush administration, their fortunes exploded.

I saw a report that the top 25 hedge fund managers made a billion dollars EACH.

When money is not being spread through the economy, we call that "depression".

Right wingers complain, they should keep it. Well, if they aren't going to "war", like the middle class, and fight for this country that keeps their fortunes "safe", then they should fund the people that do.

Even if I grant you that. You ignore the Democrat Ideology is not doing so hot at the moment.

See that is why you are a partisan hack, and I am not. because I can see the flaws in both parties, while you only see one side of the story.

Even if I grant you that. You ignore the Democrat Ideology is not doing so hot at the moment.

See that is why you are a partisan hack, and I am not. because I can see the flaws in both parties, while you only see one side of the story.

I see the flaws in the Democratic Party. There will always be flaws because political parties are made up of everyday people. People are flawed.

But the Democratic Party is much better because it begins with coalitions. The individual groups have to be "convinced" before they will work together.

You don't have that with Republicans. Just one huge group of white people (not all, but once you get to 89 or 90%, then what difference does it make?). And the pathetic and bizarre things they believe.

Americans are angry because Democrats haven't fixed Republicans mess fast enough. They are mad because they have been hammered with "how bad the health care bill is", but when they look at the individual parts and are told what is in it, they are overwhelmingly positive. The Democrats haven't done a good job of "selling". And Republicans have an entire new bureau dedicated to bringing down this president. Turning a man who is obviously right of center into a far left loon. Turning him into some foreign threat. Not "us", not "Christian", not "American", not even a "citizen". The fuckers.

The medium household income decreased in the last 10 years. That is, the average American family became poorer.

However, based on GDP data, the inflation-adjusted per-person GDP increased in the last 10 years. That is, the AVERAGE household income increased.

How could this happen? It means that the rich become richer, and the poor become poorer. The income divide becomes much larger. Indeed, a legacy of the Bush years!

Now, the rich are still strongly opposed to tax increase on the rich. What is the solution? I hope that the Obama administration does not back down.

Americans are angry because Democrats haven't fixed Republicans mess fast enough.

See and this is why you are a partisan hack. You insistence that this mess was "the republicans fault alone" is a massive falsehood. Both parties share the blame for this mess. Which has been building for literally generations.

I also think your belief that Republicans have only radical Ideas while Democrats do not is BS.

Maybe in the past sure. Back when I was a registered Democrat. However the Democrat party today is controlled by a small Far left Minority and is failing to represent what even most Democrats believe.

Last edited:
The Obama administration had two viable options in 2008:

Really go whole hog on infrastructure such as high speed rail in an attempt to increase labor mobility. I think this would have failed but without damaging the D franchise since it was a campaign promise.

Try to kick start innovation by putting the stimulus money into DARPA/X foundation style prize money to support the rest of the agenda of alternative energy and what not. This too might have failed but I suspect it wouldn't have.

Instead Obama went with none of the above therefore ensuring that his own failure would make Bush look good by comparison.

Last edited:

Americans are angry because Democrats haven't fixed Republicans mess fast enough.

See and this is why you are a partisan hack. You insistence that this mess was "the republicans fault alone" is a massive falsehood. Both parties share the blame for this mess. Which has been building for literally generations.

I also think your belief that Republicans have only radical Ideas while Democrats do not is BS.

Maybe in the past sure. Back when I was a registered Democrat. However the Democrat party today is controlled by a small Far left Minority and is failing to represent what even most Democrats believe.

What a pile of dogshit. Were you born yesterday, or did you just fall off the back of a turnip truck? I have been around since Harry S. Truman was in the White House. The Democratic Party today encompasses the whole political spectrum that existed in the 50's and 60's. Today's blue dog Democrats would be the 50's and 60's era Liberal Republicans. The GOP today to the right of either party. They have broken new ground of far right extremism and authoritarianism.

You are talking out of your ass.

Really go whole hog on infrastructure such as high speed rail in an attempt to increase labor mobility. I think this would have failed but without damaging the D franchise since it was a campaign promise.

Try to kick start innovation by putting the stimulus money into DARPA/X foundation style prize money to support the rest of the agenda of alternative energy and what not. This too might have failed but I suspect it wouldn't have.

I thought the same thing in the months between the election and the inauguration. And I thought team Obama would come up with something that really wowed me. Boy was I wrong!

But in hindsight I still dunno if it would have worked. It costs far too much to create a job anymore. And labor mobility isn't as important as full employment when it comes to stimulus, imo.

And we can't afford to create full employment on the federal dime. And we just don't have an economy that can support itself above 90% employment and 75% capacity. Hell, we are lucky to have that considering how far astray we have gone.

The stimulus we got solved nothing. It was a complete waste.

What a pile of dogshit. Were you born yesterday, or did you just fall off the back of a turnip truck? I have been around since Harry S. Truman was in the White House. The Democratic Party today encompasses the whole political spectrum that existed in the 50's and 60's.

HUH? Where are the true conservatives in the dem party? The greatest gen WWII vets who survived the depression?

then prove him wrong by ditching the super stupid partisanism. You can't espouse partisan rhetoric and be credible.

Both parties fuck the American Dream in the ass to gain and maintain power.

Both parties have an agenda that is foreign to our national interests. They are, have made themselves, legitimate enemies of the state, or more on point political terrorists.

I thought the same thing in the months between the election and the inauguration. And I thought team Obama would come up with something that really wowed me. Boy was I wrong!

But in hindsight I still dunno if it would have worked. It costs far too much to create a job anymore. And labor mobility isn't as important as full employment when it comes to stimulus, imo.

And we can't afford to create full employment on the federal dime. And we just don't have an economy that can support itself above 90% employment and 75% capacity. Hell, we are lucky to have that considering how far astray we have gone.

The stimulus we got solved nothing. It was a complete waste.

Nearly half the working age population cannot make the move to where the jobs are either because of housing prices or superslow commuter speeds. Even 1920s style street cars would improve labor mobility a whole bunch.

What a pile of dogshit. Were you born yesterday, or did you just fall off the back of a turnip truck? I have been around since Harry S. Truman was in the White House. The Democratic Party today encompasses the whole political spectrum that existed in the 50's and 60's.

HUH? Where are the true conservatives in the dem party? The greatest gen WWII vets who survived the depression?

then prove him wrong by ditching the super stupid partisanism. You can't espouse partisan rhetoric and be credible.

Both parties fuck the American Dream in the ass to gain and maintain power.

Both parties have an agenda that is foreign to our national interests. They are, have made themselves, legitimate enemies of the state, or more on point political terrorists.

Here is an education for you pea brain. Today, the philosophy of the Republican Party is best captured by the leading economic guru, Grover Norquist, who holds weekly meetings with Republican Senators and Congressmen when he said: "We're going to crush labor as a political entity"

The union busting anti worker party of today is NOT the GOP of Eisenhower.

HERE is what the Republican Party USED to stand for...

92.jpg
92.gif

Excerpt from:
Republican Party Platform of 1956
August 20, 1956

Our Government was created by the people for all the people, and it must serve no less a purpose.

The Republican Party was formed 100 years ago to preserve the Nation's devotion to these ideals.

On its Centennial, the Republican Party again calls to the minds of all Americans the great truth first spoken by Abraham Lincoln: "The legitimate object of Government is to do for a community of people whatever they need to have done but cannot do at all, or cannot so well do, for themselves in their separate and individual capacities. But in all that people can individually do as well for themselves, Government ought not to interfere."

Our great President Dwight D. Eisenhower has counseled us further: "In all those things which deal with people, be liberal, be human. In all those things which deal with people's money, or their economy, or their form of government, be conservative.

"We shall ever build anew, that our children and their children, without distinction because of race, creed or color, may know the blessings of our free land.

We are proud of and shall continue our far-reaching and sound advances in matters of basic human needs-expansion of social security-broadened coverage in unemployment insurance - improved housing- and better health protection for all our people. We are determined that our government remain warmly responsive to the urgent social and economic problems of our people.

Labor
"Under the Republican Administration, as our country has prospered, so have its people. This is as it should be, for as President Eisenhower said: "Labor is the United States. The men and women, who with their minds, their hearts and hands, create the wealth that is shared in this country...they are America."

The Eisenhower Administration has brought to our people the highest employment, the highest wages and the highest standard of living ever enjoyed by any nation. Today there are nearly 67 million men and women at work in the United States, 4 million more than in 1952. Wages have increased substantially over the past 3 1/2 years; but, more important, the American wage earner today can buy more than ever before for himself and his family because his pay check has not been eaten away by rising taxes and soaring prices.

The record of performance of the Republican Administration on behalf of our working men and women goes still further. The Federal minimum wage has been raised for more than 2 million workers. Social Security has been extended to an additional 10 million workers and the benefits raised for 6 1/2 million. The protection of unemployment insurance has been brought to 4 million additional workers. There have been increased workmen's compensation benefits for longshoremen and harbor workers, increased retirement benefits for railroad employees, and wage increases and improved welfare and pension plans for federal employees.

In addition, the Eisenhower Administration has enforced more vigorously and effectively than ever before, the laws which protect the working standards of our people.

Workers have benefited by the progress which has been made in carrying out the programs and principles set forth in the 1952 Republican platform. All workers have gained and unions have grown in strength and responsibility, and have increased their membership by 2 millions.

Furthermore, the process of free collective bargaining has been strengthened by the insistence of this Administration that labor and management settle their differences at the bargaining table without the intervention of the Government. This policy has brought to our country an unprecedented period of labor-management peace and understanding...

Republican action created the Department of Health, Education and Welfare as the first new Federal department in 40 years, to raise the continuing consideration of these problems for the first time to the highest council of Government, the President's Cabinet.... We have supported the distribution of free vaccine to protect millions of children against dreaded polio.

Republican leadership has enlarged Federal assistance for construction of hospitals, emphasizing low-cost care of chronic diseases and the special problems of older persons, and increased Federal aid for medical care of the needy.

We have asked the largest increase in research funds ever sought in one year to intensify attacks on cancer, mental illness, heart disease and other dread diseases."

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=25838

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the Republican party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."
Barry Goldwater (R) Late Senator & Father of the Conservative movement

You failed to support your statement that "The Democratic Party today encompasses the whole political spectrum that existed in the 50's and 60's.".

Nobody even contested the fact that both parties have evolved into something completely other than what they were in decades past.

Stuck on partisanship = stupid perspective. It is a false dichotomy.

If anything you should be asking how we can take power back from the two political monopolies.

Forum List

Back