The Blind Side

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by Samson, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    I could have put this thread in the Review Forum where it would have eventually become a Racial Thread. I also tried to research to see if there had already been a thread started about the Movie. Couldn't find it.

Anyway, I saw the movie today, and as cinema goes, I felt the movie was a wonderfully told story about real people in real situations. Its would be nice to have more movies like this one. Then I saw the 20/20 interviews tonight with the cast, as well as the real characters, and found two points particularly interesting:

1. Blacks are NOT flocking to movie theatres to see a film about Michael Oher, the protagognist who begins life in North Memphis Projects and ends up with a 5 year $13million contract to play Pro Football for the Baltimore Ravens.

The 20/20 reporter speculated that this was because the Black community felt a certain degree of discomfort seeing a White family adopt a Black kid. I don't get this:confused:

2. Michael Oher has bought a nice house, and a nice Humvee in Baltimore Suburbs. But there was absolutely no report about anything he has returned to The Community. Single at 23, I wouldn't expect him to adopt anyone, but I would expect just a one liner like, "Oher is actively visiting kids in the local children's hospital." NOTHING!!??:confused:

2. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,446
    you better be careful Samson. I have noticed that you are starting to make sensible comments on several forums. and making observations about reality and drawing your own logical conclusions. I can personally attest that that sort of behaviour will only get you into trouble. better stop while (if?) you still can.

3. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
  4. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,993
    I saw it Christmas Eve. I really didn't want to go, I didn't think I would like it that much but it turned out to be a great movie. I could even stand Sandra Bullock in it. In fact, she did a really good job.

5. jschuck12001

jschuck12001 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Its was your typical corny movie about the white man saving the black man. Maybe black people feel like they have seen this story too many times and are ready for something different.

6. The Baiter

The Baiter Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Most people are distracted by all the chaos surrounding the holidays. I also think its possible that this movie really didn't have a target audience. I haven't seen it advertised on any popular black media outlets. The only movie I can say has been getting peoples attention around this time of year is Avatar.

Secondly just because this mans charity goes unrecognized in a 60 minutes interview doesn't mean he isn't involved or would not be partaking in any such activities in the future. The guy just got signed for Chrissake.

7. Samson

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    But he had time for the 20/20 interview.....:eusa_whistle:

8. JenyEliza

JenyEliza Princess of Rhetoric

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +353
    Yes, in a *supporting role* for his ADOPTIVE FAMILY who were the actual subjects of the 20/10 special report.

AND.....he DID say that one day he would "like to give back all that I've been given" or something along those lines, and then a great big gentle giant grin and a closeup of him.

Maybe you were out of the room or something and missed that?

9. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    You should check out the link I posted on the third post!:lol:

10. Samson

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    The 20/20 report included interviews with Oher and the adoptive family AND another white family and another black highschool football player in Memphis. Some of the interview with Oher was done in his Expansive (including shuffleboard) Baltimore home, as well as his Humvee.

I'm certain you are correct in your quote, although I don't recall it as much as the portrayal of how wealthy Oher was ($13 million for a 5 year contract with the Ravens). My point is that NOTHING in the report demonstrated he had done anything to return even a fraction of the good fortune he had received. I don't blame Oher as much as I do 20/20 for this omission. They could have easily added footage, or some note of the information at Louissa's linky;
    I did.

Why did 20/20 omit this? My guess was that the NFL Play 60 Youth Clinic and visit to MSCH wasn't as much about Oher's volunteerism as it was about some manditory-for-new-drafts publicity.