The BBC Started The Bias, Now They Are Getting Called On It

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Not that they care, it's not their money:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110006778

An Aunt With an Attitude
Britain's Bernie Goldberg exposes bias at the BBC.

BY SCOTT NORVELL
Saturday, June 4, 2005 12:01 a.m. EDT

Robin Aitken has nailed it.

Those of us who pay the British Broadcast Corp.'s annual $220 license fee but grit our teeth every time we watch one of its news programs have floundered for some time in search of a term to describe what ails the corporation. Mr. Aitken, a 25-year veteran reporter now retired, has put his finger on it: institutionalized leftism.

The phrase is a play on one--"institutional racism"--currently in vogue among the professionally aggrieved. It's frequently lobbed when the forces of multicultural goodness can't point to specific proof of racism in an organization but just know deep down that something is amiss.

Mr. Aitken told London's Daily Telegraph (and subsequently confirmed in a telephone conversation) that Britain's taxpayer-funded behemoth, arguably the most powerful media brand in the world, sports a worldview remarkably at odds with a good percentage of the population to whom it purportedly answers.

The BBC's world is one in which America is always wrong, George W. Bush is a knuckle-dragging simpleton, people of faith are frightening ignoramuses, and capitalism is a rot on the fabric of social justice. Through this prism, the United Nations is the world's supreme moral authority, multiculturalism is always a force for good, war is never warranted, and U.S. Republicans sprinkle Third World children over their Cheerios for breakfast...

Bullypulpit said:
Op-ed...Got something to support it?
Yeah, well hidden:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110006778

Did you read the whole thing?

Bullypulpit said:
Yes I did, and typical of all Faux-News editorials, it is long on polemic and short on fact.

Bully the curmudgeon handle works well for you! :laugh:

Bullypulpit said:
Yes I did, and typical of all Faux-News editorials, it is long on polemic and short on fact.

ok mister smarty-pants---debunk WITH proof, that what is being stated is NOT true. This may be an editorial, but everything they are saying is true, and you know it, just in your mind, everything that speaks bad about liberal ideas, is not true, wrong, etc., though you have no logical reasoning to prove otherwise.

Of course the Beeb is institutionalized leftism (nice phrase, btw). So is all major media. That's for various reasons, some controversial, some not. But it is still formidable: a BBC journalist is (or at least was) better informed than most American journalists, excepting maybe some of the biggest. I remember a Republican elected official telling me that the BBC had always done three times as much homework as any American journalist before coming to him with questions.

I think that for conservatives, the goal should be to cultivate our own smart journalism. Fox News sure as hell ain't it --- that's just cheerleading for Bush, who is no conservative. National Review used to be conservative until it was taken over by open-borders neocons.

William Joyce said:
Of course the Beeb is institutionalized leftism (nice phrase, btw). So is all major media. That's for various reasons, some controversial, some not. But it is still formidable: a BBC journalist is (or at least was) better informed than most American journalists, excepting maybe some of the biggest. I remember a Republican elected official telling me that the BBC had always done three times as much homework as any American journalist before coming to him with questions.

Have you ever read Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire? If so, then you know about Rita Skeeter. Jo Rowling stated in an interview a while ago that she modeled Rita after the most popular BBC journalists. the "daily prohpet" being the media since wizards don't have TVs. While there is a hint of truth in the story being reported, most of it is made up bs and exaggerated statements to make the subject of the story look bad, just to generate ratings. Most of the story is THEIR perspective on the subject, not actual, provable facts.

As far as American journalists doing less background work, that's fairly true, when you watch interviews conducted by said journalists, watching them ask questions that have been asked so many times before, that the interview is nothing new, and far from productive.

Forum List

Back