The Angels Want To Wear My Red Muons

I think all religions leave me having to suspend reality (whatever that is), so why not try and create one's own suspended belief system?

I wonder what you think the purpose of religion is.

I think the purpose of religion is to feed the soul, give purpose and meaning to our existence and give simple answers to questions about the universe. I am not a believer in a literal bible... but I do think something outside of us exists.

I'd hate to feel nihilistic about my time here.

i suppose it was a trifle sophomoric --- like pointing out spelling errors as a means of dodging questions.

more to the point of all those books viz personal enlightenment, it always seems to me that the books don't do squat for my understanding of my own spirit and the spirits of others i encounter as i stumble through life.

putting down the books and getting into a meditative state seems to be where i feel some understanding. blowing a flute for hours on end is probably cheating. i don't know.

Cheating? Why? Spirituality is a state of mind, isn't it?

I think all religions leave me having to suspend reality (whatever that is), so why not try and create one's own suspended belief system?

I wonder what you think the purpose of religion is.

I think the purpose of religion is to feed the soul, give purpose and meaning to our existence and give simple answers to questions about the universe. I am not a believer in a literal bible... but I do think something outside of us exists.

I'd hate to feel nihilistic about my time here.
Nihilism is the alternative to faith and religion?

Here is what I have always wondered about---'the soul' and 'outside of us'

Along with many others, you believe human beings have souls, and that something 'exists' outside of 'us.'

What exactly do you think a soul is and do you think it exists in the world of dimensions we are aware of?

Outside of us? What and who are 'us'? Humanity? The physical universe?

Along with many others, you believe human beings have souls, and that something 'exists' outside of 'us.'

What exactly do you think a soul is and do you think it exists in the world of dimensions we are aware of?

Well, for me... I like to think we have a purpose. Perhaps nihilism is too absolute, but I'm not sure how else i would view us being here for no reason.

I know something exists outside of us. Too many things have happened in my life that were proof of that (at least to me) than could be accounted for by mere chance or coincidence. Again, I don't ask anyone else to believe... I just know what I believe.

What do I think the soul is? I think it is the part of us that is attached to the living universe or to whatever G-d is. I think just because G-d may be outside of my understanding doesn't mean G-d doesn't exist. I just don't have a certainty as to WHAT G-d is. So do I know what the soul is? Not really... but I can opine and wonder. I don't think our wondering and thinking about these things has to end when we get older, although I doubt I will ever agan engage in the type of self-indulgent questioning of this type of thing that we used to do in college, but nor do I really need to.

Perhaps us...the physical universe, etc., are all inter-related? Maybe the world is the ten sephirot?

192px-Ktreewnames.png

What do you believe the soul is? Or shouild I ask if you believe there is such a thing.

Last edited:

Well, for me... I like to think we have a purpose. Perhaps nihilism is too absolute, but I'm not sure how else i would view us being here for no reason.

I know something exists outside of us. Too many things have happened in my life that were proof of that (at least to me) than could be accounted for by mere chance or coincidence. Again, I don't ask anyone else to believe... I just know what I believe.

What do I think the soul is? I think it is the part of us that is attached to the living universe or to whatever G-d is. I think just because G-d may be outside of my understanding doesn't mean G-d doesn't exist. I just don't have a certainty as to WHAT G-d is. So do I know what the soul is? Not really... but I can opine and wonder. I don't think our wondering and thinking about these things has to end when we get older, although I doubt I will ever agan engage in the type of self-indulgent questioning of this type of thing that we used to do in college, but nor do I really need to.

Perhaps us...the physical universe, etc., are all inter-related? Maybe the world is the ten sephirot?

192px-Ktreewnames.png

What do you believe the soul is? Or shouild I ask if you believe there is such a thing.
I believe in the soul as a human construct, just as I believe god is a human construct: "The understanding that we build of ourselves, the world, and the way the two work and relate."

You know "something exists outside of us" --- us ---being humanity or what? You can offer subjective anecdotes, but is not what I asked about. I'm not putting you on trial, but I am trying to ask direct questions. I am curious.

Your description of a god/living universe and us (being humanity), is curious as it makes distinctions between us and the universe.

you've also used the term us in 2 situations. in both instances is 'us' humanity? I ask because much more on earth and in the universe exists outside of humanity. are we not part of the universe?

there is a theory of multiple universes. It is possible and I'd say probable, that we are not aware of all that surrounds us because we are limited by our senses and more. This does not preclude a god, but it does not demand one. I find the idea of god, to be a human construct and as such I think it is a way of making humanity feel safe from existentialistic threats. We are conscious beings, therefore we fear.

I believe in the soul as a human construct, just as I believe god is a human construct: "The understanding that we build of ourselves, the world, and the way the two work and relate."

You know "something exists outside of us" --- us ---being humanity or what? You can offer subjective anecdotes, but is not what I asked about. I'm not putting you on trial, but I am trying to ask direct questions. I am curious.

Your description of a god/living universe and us (being humanity), is curious as it makes distinctions between us and the universe.

you've also used the term us in 2 situations. in both instances is 'us' humanity? I ask because much more on earth and in the universe exists outside of humanity. are we not part of the universe?

there is a theory of multiple universes. It is possible and I'd say probable, that we are not aware of all that surrounds us because we are limited by our senses and more. This does not preclude a god, but it does not demand one. I find the idea of god, to be a human construct and as such I think it is a way of making humanity feel safe from existentialistic threats. We are conscious beings, therefore we fear.

You believe in the soul as human construct. I believe it exists. I believe G-d exists, I just haven't a clue as to what G-d is. I just don't believe in G-d in human form. I'm also not religious/spiritual enough to have very well-formulated concepts of these things. And even with those ill-defined beliefs, I question... I doubt.

I use the term 'us' because it is easy. Is it accurate? I have no idea. I do know that the things I have read of a spiritual nature and scientific nature lead me to believe that time isn't linear... so how many dimensions are there? I have no idea... but I don't believe we know or understand a tenth of what exists.

I do believe the kabbalah is correct when it teaches that the first sephirot, or what we can see, is only the tip of the iceberg and is only a manifestation of reality geared to our little minds.

As to what else is out there, I can surmise, but it would, obviously, be purely surmise.

You believe in the soul as human construct. I believe it exists. I believe G-d exists, I just haven't a clue as to what G-d is. I just don't believe in G-d in human form. I'm also not religious/spiritual enough to have very well-formulated concepts of these things. And even with those ill-defined beliefs, I question... I doubt.

I use the term 'us' because it is easy. Is it accurate? I have no idea. I do know that the things I have read of a spiritual nature and scientific nature lead me to believe that time isn't linear... so how many dimensions are there? I have no idea... but I don't believe we know or understand a tenth of what exists.

I do believe the kabbalah is correct when it teaches that the first sephirot, or what we can see, is only the tip of the iceberg and is only a manifestation of reality geared to our little minds.

As to what else is out there, I can surmise, but it would, obviously, be purely surmise.

Ahh, beliefs and knowledge. Sometimes we say we know something and other times we say we believe something.

I do not mean to mock you when I say I am amused by you saying, you believe in something you say you have no clue about, because I too once held to similar concepts.

I have come to believe much of what Joseph Campbell has spoken about.

[ there is a neat flash intro page here: Welcome to the Joseph Campbell Foundation Website that I skipped over in the link above. ]

I believe because of my non belief system when it comes to mainstream or recognized religions and spirituality, I personally need to create my own myths and symbols in order to have balance and peace in/with my psyche and the physical universe.

However, I will know it is not 'real' and unlike posers who wear and speak with the outer trappings of symbols (think of an African-American woman who dresses in traditional African garb and affects mannerisms---who fails to convince) ... I hope to embrace my own symbols with an honesty that shines true (think of an African-American woman who dresses in traditional African garb and affects mannerisms---and who comes off as so natural and centered, you wonder what it is she possesses).

ltr
D

Last edited:

Forum List

Back