The African Union's Moment Of Truth

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by NATO AIR, Mar 14, 2005.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I wrote this at sea a few days ago.... its time for the AU to man up or admit its a failure.

2. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Sounds an awful lot like the UN doesn't it?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. j07950

j07950 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    We were talking about Dafur in one of my classes (called: Neo-Nationalism and small wars) and we were saying how difficult the situation in Dafur was. We were trying to come up with solutions and the African Union is the only plausible one. First the term Genocide will not be used by western powers or the UN because that means they have to intervene. The problem is that China will Veto anything that goes through the UN because it sells arms to the Sudanese government, and Russia would probably also veto because it has Oil contracts with Sudan. Plus Western powers aren't interested in intervening anyway. They could use the example of the US who intervened in Irak without the UN's consent but no one is interested in Sudan, sadly enough, like the rest of Africa, it's just not attractive. Plus it's an arab governed country, there is enough problems with Irak already without Dafur. Arab countries would surely revolt against an intervention led by western powers. So the AU is the solution. But the thing is that to legitimize the intervention, muslim countries should also get involved with the AU, but that's never going to happen. Supposedly Muslims won't kill other Muslims (well thats an argument raised in class but than again look at Irak, what are muslim terrorists doing to other Iraki muslims?)... So an intervention by the AU, with a majority (I think, any muslim countries involved?) of non muslims countries, is weak...Especially with neighbouring countries involved in the intervention. Sudan could accuse those countries of wanting to gain land or influence in Sudan...
    Anyway, it's very very complicated. I hope the AU will succeed though. And if not than European powers, led by Australia and Canada (for legitimacy reasons) should intervene... The US already has it's hands tied and we all know the Arab world would go crazy if the US somehow got involved...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1