The 1/2 Hour News Hour cancelled after 15 episodes

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr.Conley, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Well, apparently there is justice in the universe after all.

Anyway, it appears after a positive initial first screening, the show cratered. Of course, there seems to be a chance that the show might be "retooled" yet I wouldn't be holding my breath.

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,989
    Cratered? It won its time slot all but once. I would call that a success.

3. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    stupid show.....

4. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Wow, who know so much could be so wrong with just three sentences.

First what about this is just exactly?

Two, see RGS's post about the show 'cratering'

Thirdly, it doesn't say might be retooled it says 'considering', which I would take to mean, it or a similar show will be back.

5. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572

so, if I "consider" eating a hot fudge sundae, that means I put on weight?

Is that what you "would take that to mean"?

6. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    The writing didn't seem good enough to take off- to really be a success I would imagine it would need someone like Jon Stewart and his writers...the one time I watched it I wasn't impressed with either or the "anchors."

Additionally, I thought it was a mistake to put it on FoxNews. If you are trying to demonstrate that you actually are a news outlet and not a mouthpiece for the right-wing...putting a right-wing Daily Show on your lineup never really made sense to me.

7. Alpha1

Alpha1 NAVY

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +193
    The first airing, February 18 was a hit, with more than 1.4 million viewers. The show averaged 258,000 viewers (25-54 demo) in its last 10 airings, winning its timeslot all but once.

Ignoring the facts won't help your case....

8. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    You raise several good points. Allow me to address them.

As we've both noted, the initial screening was successful. However, over the course of only a few episodes, the show "cratered" from an extremely high rating of 1.4 million to only, as noted, an average of 258,000 viewers, a drop of over one million viewers, which, at least for a cable show, is massive.

Now, as to your other point, the timeslot, as I is stated in my original post, the show did win it's timeslot. However, the timeslot the show "won" was not a particularly competitive timeslot. In addition, the ratings are only being compared to the other cable news networks, CNN, CNN Headline and MSNBC, which Fox typically beats, so that's not the issue. So yes, the show won the timeslot, but it was like winning a fight with a retarded monkey.

Finally, for all these accusations of "ignoring the facts", the ultimate fact remains: Fox cancelled the show. You can say whatever you want about initial ratings or comparisons with CNN, but the ultimate fact here is that God Himself spoke Bill Shine and told him that in the name of all that is good, just, natural, holy, righteous and happy to end this abomination of a shitty comedy show, and for that we can all, liberal, conservative or whatever, rejoice.

9. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    You raise several good points. Allow me to address them.

As we've both noted, the initial screening was successful. However, over the course of only a few episodes, the show "cratered" from an extremely high rating of 1.4 million to only, as noted, an average of 258,000 viewers, a drop of over one million viewers, which, at least for a cable show, is massive.

Now, as to your other point, the timeslot, as I is stated in my original post, the show did win it's timeslot. However, the timeslot the show "won" was not a particularly competitive timeslot. In addition, the ratings are only being compared to the other cable news networks, CNN, CNN Headline and MSNBC, which Fox typically beats, so that's not the issue. So yes, the show won the timeslot, but it was like winning a fight with a retarded monkey.

Finally, for all these accusations of "ignoring the facts", the ultimate fact remains: Fox cancelled the show. You can say whatever you want about initial ratings or comparisons with CNN, but the ultimate fact here is that God Himself spoke to Bill Shine and told him that in the name of all that is good, just, natural, holy, righteous and happy to end this abomination of a shitty comedy show, and for that we can all, liberal, conservative or whatever, rejoice.

10. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Bad Mother****er

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +503
    There are other factors to consider- production costs, advertising, etc.- before you can deem it a success.

Personally, I thought the show sucked and there was nowhere to go but down.

Something like this might work on late night and when the Dems get the majority.