Text Input Pauses During Text Entry

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
This is a strange problem. As you know, we have two, identical computers, sharing the same printer on a wireless network. Both computer are Vista Home.

This only happens on my wife's computer. She will be inputting text. It can be in her word processor or it can be composing an email in AOL (Internet server). She will be going along just fine and then, all of a sudden, everything comes to a halt. She has to wait a minute or so for the computer to get it together, and then she can continue. In the meantime, if she tries to input any text, it won't do it. If she types some text during the "pause period," when things finally snap back into working order, the text she entered during the pause period does not appear.

I would be interested to hear some theories on what this might be. I have a theory, but I don't want to influence input, so I'll shut up and wait to see if you guys can come up with anything.

It sounds like a driver problem to me. Perhaps there was an update to the driver that was installed on your computer but not hers.

This is a strange problem. As you know, we have two, identical computers, sharing the same printer on a wireless network. Both computer are Vista Home.

This only happens on my wife's computer. She will be inputting text. It can be in her word processor or it can be composing an email in AOL (Internet server). She will be going along just fine and then, all of a sudden, everything comes to a halt. She has to wait a minute or so for the computer to get it together, and then she can continue. In the meantime, if she tries to input any text, it won't do it. If she types some text during the "pause period," when things finally snap back into working order, the text she entered during the pause period does not appear.

I would be interested to hear some theories on what this might be. I have a theory, but I don't want to influence input, so I'll shut up and wait to see if you guys can come up with anything.

Sounds like a device(hardware) conflict.

Have you ever got the blue screen of death on it?

Are there other issues?

Are there other issues?

No other issues. I can't imagine what piece of hardware could be in conflict. The hardware on each of our computers is identical, and my computer works just fine. Never saw the blue screen of death.

It acts like a memory problem, but she has fourteen million gigs of memory in there, as we all do on the newer rigs.

Are there other issues?

I get the BSOD, a black screen and my keyboard/touch pad area gets pretty hot to the touch when the other problems come up.

what is it? hardware issue?

Are there other issues?

No other issues. I can't imagine what piece of hardware could be in conflict. The hardware on each of our computers is identical, and my computer works just fine. Never saw the blue screen of death.

It acts like a memory problem, but she has fourteen million gigs of memory in there, as we all do on the newer rigs.

I'd take a look and see what other programs/processes are running in the background. Check your Windows Task Manager.

Hey George? Sometimes it helps to know what processes are running when you have episodes such as these. I run alot of software that commandeers ports while running...and causes major problems if you aren't careful. (Of course I'm 'talking' to other devices attached to the computer).

And they have a nasty habit of filling memory for no good reason...and causing buffer problems.

And of course it's helpful to know what's running in case of conflicts as you describe. I run the machines on my network with minimal software running. Only the essentials. (In other words? If I want a program running? Then I'll start it) ;)

Hope you get to the root of it.

~T

Forum List

Back