Texas suffers the most severe drought in 100 years

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
HOUSTON, June 14 (UPI) -- The most severe Texas drought in more than 100 years is curtailing efforts to coax natural gas out of Eagle Ford shale deposits, an administrator said.

Water management officials in Texas are advising residents to limit water use. Energy companies are trying to buy water from farmers and other areas to continue working in the state.

Exxon Mobile has been recycling fluid used in the hydraulic fracturing of Eagle Ford shale. The process, known as fracking, uses high-pressure water mixed with chemicals and abrasives to crack rock deposits to release trapped natural gas and oil.

Shale in the Eagle Ford deposits requires much more water to fracture than other U.S. shale deposits. One well in the Eagle Ford deposit requires 13 million gallons of water, enough for more than 200 people for a year, Bloomberg News reports.

U.S. drought monitors put 94 percent of Texas in some state of drought as of June 7. The National Weather Service predicts precipitation amounts will remain less than average for much of the month.

Texas drought hurts fracking campaign - UPI.com

Some parts of the Lone Star State have not seen any significant precipitation since August. Bayous, cattle ponds and farm fields are drying up, and residents are living under constant threat of wildfires, which have already burned across thousands of square miles.

Much of Texas is bone dry, with scarcely any moisture to be found in the top layers of soil. Grass is so dry it crunches underfoot in many places. The nation's leading cattle-producing state just endured its driest seven-month span on record, and some ranchers are culling their herds to avoid paying supplemental feed costs.

May is typically the wettest month in Texas, and farmers planting on non-irrigated acres are clinging to hope that relief arrives in the next few weeks.

"It doesn't look bright right at the moment, but I haven't given up yet," said cotton producer Rickey Bearden, who grows about two-thirds of his 9,000 acres without irrigation in West Texas. "We'll have to have some help from Mother's Nature."

That the drought is looming over the Southwest while floodwaters rise in the Midwest and South reflects a classic signature of the La Nina weather oscillation, a cooling of the central Pacific Ocean.

This year's La Nina is the sixth-strongest in records dating back to 1949.

"It's a shift of the jet stream, providing all that moisture and shifting it away from the south, so you've seen a lot of drought in Texas," Mike Halpert, deputy director of the federal government's Climate Prediction Center in Silver Spring, Md.

Texas Drought 2011: State Endures Driest 7-Month Span On Record

Between droughts and floods I guess we can pretty much expect the price of food to keep rising.

Hard times coming for a lot of our neighbors, I suspect

Guess all that praying Rick Perry called for didn't do the job.

Now he is asking for help from the federal government.

I guess Rick doesn't want to succeed from the union anymore.

So there was a worse drought over 100 years ago? Was that caused by man made global warming too?

Such silly question as the above makes me think you simply are not capable of getting it.

Every weather event ( however small or large) is the outcome of the GLOBAL climate.

To imagine that 7 billion animals and their techology is not, to SOME extent, altering the planet's atmosphere is ignorant beyond words.

FYI, life (not just mankind but life itself) has been changing the atmosphere (hence the climate) of this planet since life first manifested.

Mankind is merely the latest lifeform to have an effect on the world's climate, and even if we dispatch ourselves, life will continue to play a role in the composition of the atmosphere, and hence the state of the world's climate.

Last edited:
people are refusing to sell water to the oil companies.....there are still sane people in texas....

i feel sorry for anyone experiencing a drought...water is an element of survival

Thank you for your continued interest in human suffering, Chris.

Have you considered the Priesthood?

Living here in Drought Central, it isn't what you think it is. There is water; however, we have to conserve it. Drought is really defined in terms of rainfall and aquafer levels. Even though we've had rain in San Antonio, it is well below established rainfall levels and has been for some time (I've only lived here for 10 years). And although we had snow this past winter (for the first time in 25 years), when factored in with the periods of no rainfall, it didn't even put a dent in the overall precipitation used to measure drought levels. Perhaps the most difficult thing to understand is that flooding doesn't count. Several years ago, twice in a row, we had what was described as "100-year floods." That is, floods that technically occur once every 100 years---and that happened two years in a row. Still, even though a flood is defined in terms of excessive water levels that comes from a lot of rain, the overall average for the year still kept us at drought levels.

Living here in Drought Central, it isn't what you think it is. There is water; however, we have to conserve it. Drought is really defined in terms of rainfall and aquafer levels. Even though we've had rain in San Antonio, it is well below established rainfall levels and has been for some time (I've only lived here for 10 years). And although we had snow this past winter (for the first time in 25 years), when factored in with the periods of no rainfall, it didn't even put a dent in the overall precipitation used to measure drought levels. Perhaps the most difficult thing to understand is that flooding doesn't count. Several years ago, twice in a row, we had what was described as "100-year floods." That is, floods that technically occur once every 100 years---and that happened two years in a row. Still, even though a flood is defined in terms of excessive water levels that comes from a lot of rain, the overall average for the year still kept us at drought levels.

The problem with flood type of rainfall, is that it comes down very hard for a brief period, on bone dry ground, too hard to absorb the moisture. Most just runs down the gullies and fails to even get to an aquifer in significant amounts. Often the moisture never gets to six inches down into the ground, and is gone with a few more hot days. One needs several weeks of gentle rains to break a drougth.

I wonder if God already answered their prayers?

His answer may have been NO,

Maybe hes mad because to many prayers are not helping their fellow man like Jesus teaches.

Forum List

Back