Texas man brews his own beer, in his beer belly

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
No, it is not a joke. At least, I don't think it is.

A teetotalling Texan whose family thought he was addicted to booze was in fact suffering from a rare disease where his stomach turns the food he eats into beer.
Too much brewer's yeast in the 61-year-old's gut meant that whenever he ate starch, it sparked a chemical reaction leading to fermentation.
The man — dubbed "the human brewery" — ended up getting totally tanked without even touching a drop of alcohol.

Texas man?s ?beer gut? turns food into alcohol due to rare auto-brewery syndrome* - NY Daily News

So I wonder what would happen if he got pulled over and his alcohol levels were high? Drink driving charges? Or would they be dismissed...

No, it is not a joke. At least, I don't think it is.

A teetotalling Texan whose family thought he was addicted to booze was in fact suffering from a rare disease where his stomach turns the food he eats into beer.
Too much brewer's yeast in the 61-year-old's gut meant that whenever he ate starch, it sparked a chemical reaction leading to fermentation.
The man — dubbed "the human brewery" — ended up getting totally tanked without even touching a drop of alcohol.

Texas man?s ?beer gut? turns food into alcohol due to rare auto-brewery syndrome* - NY Daily News

Actually, this is a very real problem for a very few people. If they eat foods such as pasta, their body will convert it into alcohol and they will be drunk from eating spaghetti.

Dunno if it's such a great problem to have though, because you'd really have to watch what you eat, and sorry................but Italian food is one of my very favorites.

I'd hate to think that after eating a lot of pasta that I'd have to stay home because I was drunk.

Forum List

Back