Texas judge almost barred from voting in her own courthouse

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
A Texas district judge who has been voting for the past five decades was almost barred from the polls Tuesday, thanks to the state’s newly implemented, stricter voter ID law. The law kicked in on Tuesday as early voting in Texas’ November 5 election began.

As she told local channel Kiii News, 117th District Court Judge Sandra Watts was flagged for possible voter fraud because her driver’s license lists her maiden name as her middle name, while her voter registration form has her real middle name. This was the first time she has ever had a problem voting in 49 years. “What I have used for voter registration and for identification for the last 52 years was not sufficient yesterday when I went to vote,” she said.

Watts worried that women who use maiden names or hyphenated names may be surprised at the polls. “I don’t think most women know that this is going to create a problem,” the judge said. “That their maiden name is on their driver’s license, which was mandated in 1964 when I got married, and this. And so why would I want to use a provisional ballot when I’ve been voting regular ballot for the last 49 years?”

Texas Judge Almost Blocked From Voting Because Of New Voter ID Law | ThinkProgress

A Texas district judge who has been voting for the past five decades was almost barred from the polls Tuesday, thanks to the state’s newly implemented, stricter voter ID law. The law kicked in on Tuesday as early voting in Texas’ November 5 election began.

As she told local channel Kiii News, 117th District Court Judge Sandra Watts was flagged for possible voter fraud because her driver’s license lists her maiden name as her middle name, while her voter registration form has her real middle name. This was the first time she has ever had a problem voting in 49 years. “What I have used for voter registration and for identification for the last 52 years was not sufficient yesterday when I went to vote,” she said.

Watts worried that women who use maiden names or hyphenated names may be surprised at the polls. “I don’t think most women know that this is going to create a problem,” the judge said. “That their maiden name is on their driver’s license, which was mandated in 1964 when I got married, and this. And so why would I want to use a provisional ballot when I’ve been voting regular ballot for the last 49 years?”

Texas Judge Almost Blocked From Voting Because Of New Voter ID Law | ThinkProgress

Boo HOO HOO. She had improper id. But guess what? She still got to vote, so much for the claim they will be denied a vote.

Almost only counts in hand grenades, horseshoes and atom bombs. You'd think a judge would know the law.

Thread Fail

Last edited:
I love the Republican Party.

They think they can win elections by suppressing women's vote.

All this is going to do is fire up women to vote Democratic.

Watts is hardly the only woman who has encountered problems. ThinkProgress’ Scott Keyes interviewed 84-year-old Dorothy Card, who was denied a voter ID three times even though she has voted for more than 60 years and provided extensive proof of identity.

Unwarranted voting policy predicated on no documented evidence any election outcome was altered as a result of ‘fraud.’

Texas is my hometown, but I lived in 4 other states before coming back. When I applied for my license, I had always used my maiden last name's initial as part of my name, like "Mary L. Scott" - well, they told me I had to spell the initial out - they demanded it. I didn't like it because I never use my maiden name as part of my name, just the initial. Fortunately, when I registered to vote, I used my license, and the names are the same, but I feel bad for women who haven't gotten around to changing it on their license or their voter registration.

There's a suit against Texas' new voter ID law, I guess it's just another gimmick to suppress women votes.

Boo HOO HOO. She had improper id. But guess what? She still got to vote, so much for the claim they will be denied a vote.

Yeah, but probably because she was a Republican. Will they be as lenient to a Democrat?
I don't think so!

Forum List

Back