Taxes Are Ass Backwards

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
Our tax system in this country is all wrong.

Most people pay state taxes that are significantly less than federal taxes.

The federal government which has strictly defined responsibilities takes more of our money than do the states and communities we live in.

Why should the federal government take our tax money only to give it back to the states as aid?

It seems to me we would all be better served if we paid the majority of our tax dollars locally.

Currently In income taxes alone I am in the 33% federally and in my state I'm in the 5% bracket.

At the end of the day 22% of my income was taken by the feds and 5% by the state.

Would we not all be better served if the numbers were flipped?

I would rather pay the higher percentage locally where I as a member of the community have more control over my representatives rather than having the federal government take the lion's share of my money and then give it back to the state after wasting a good portion of it paying bureaucrats to shuffle papers around.

I would propose paying 7.5% of income directly to the town or city in which one lives
7.5% to the state and 10% to the feds.

Do this and get rid of all deductions and refundable tax credits etc. We could reduce the size of the federal government and implement smaller albeit more numerous local governments where we all have more direct control and can keep our representatives on a much tighter leash.

Our situations would improve dramatically as the majority of tax dollars would be kept and spent locally where the impact is greatest.

Last edited:
State taxes are regressive as hell and local officials are by far the most corrupt.

State taxes are regressive as hell and local officials are by far the most corrupt.

Both false.
Anyway.
State taxes are one thing. Federal another.
But the Founders understood that the more local the gov't the more responsible it would be. So in a sense you're right. States should do more, the Feds less.

Both false.
Anyway.
But the Founders understood that the more local the gov't the more responsible it would be. So in a sense you're right. States should do more, the Feds less.

When all forms of state and local revenue are considered, the working poor pay a larger percentage of their income than the rich already, making it worse is no solution to anything.

Both false.
Anyway.

When all forms of state and local revenue are considered, the working poor pay a larger percentage of their income than the rich already, making it worse is no solution to anything.

I call BS on this one. The 'poor' have a 2% reduction in their Soc Sec tax and do not pay any state income taxes in most states. They pay the same sales tax as everyone else. The 'poor' probably probably rent and don't pay property taxes. What taxes are you talking about?

Both false.
Anyway.

A) That's bullshit.
B) So what?

The federal government which has strictly defined responsibilities takes more of our money than do the states and communities we live in.

Why should the federal government take our tax money only to give it back to the states as aid?

It seems to me we would all be better served if we paid the majority of our tax dollars locally.

Currently In income taxes alone I am in the 33% federally and in my state I'm in the 5% bracket.

At the end of the day 22% of my income was taken by the feds and 5% by the state.

I would rather pay the higher percentage locally where I as a member of the community have more control over my representatives rather than having the federal government take the lion's share of my money and then give it back to the state after wasting a good portion of it paying bureaucrats to shuffle papers around.

I would propose paying 7.5% of income directly to the town or city in which one lives

Do this and get rid of all deductions and refundable tax credits etc. We could reduce the size of the federal government and implement smaller albeit more numerous local governments where we all have more direct control and can keep our representatives on a much tighter leash.

Our situations would improve dramatically as the majority of tax dollars would be kept and spent locally where the impact is greatest.

I too would prefer the bulk of my taxes go to local sources. How though could we continue to have troops stationed around the globe and invade, occupy and protect the oil industry in far away places?

I too would prefer the bulk of my taxes go to local sources. How though could we continue to have troops stationed around the globe and invade, occupy and protect the oil industry in far away places?

By cutting out departments and expenditures that are not expressly authorized by the Constitution. You know, the way this country was set up?

Yea, but if we don't give the Federal Gov't 33% of our income, who's going to fund the United States endless string of foreign conflicts? Fighter jets, drones, warships, and soldiers all cost us a lot of money.

Also, the Federal Gov't needs our tax dollars as 'backup' for when their sponsors make bad business decisions and need to be bailed out.

Taxes are a necessity...

Last edited:

Good post and I agree. I would much rather have more tax money going into my local economy that to that fat pig in DC.

The Founders wanted the States to have the power. Not the Fed Govt.

Forum List

Back